• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When is the last day for snowmaking

drjeff

I don't think anyone has "budget" left. As previously mentioned, I heard directly from the horse's mouth that Wildcat has pumped twice as much water uphill this year as last.

Couldn't Wildcat only pump limited water up up the hill last year as a result of mechanical/infrastructure issues?? So Twice as much this year might actually be a "normal" amount in any other year??

And I just ask that question seriously as Mount Snow's GM put up on her blog yesterday that because of infrastructure upgrades last summer, that this year they've made as much snow (quantity wise) as last year, but over 20 less days of snowmaking to date....

yeggous

Couldn't Wildcat only pump limited water up up the hill last year as a result of mechanical/infrastructure issues?? So Twice as much this year might actually be a "normal" amount in any other year??

That was two years ago. Last year they had the new compressor, pipes and pump house in place.

drjeff

That was two years ago. Last year they had the new compressor, pipes and pump house in place.

Couldn't remember which year Brian H had to deal with all of those mechanical and infrastructure issues!!! Thanks for clarifying that for me Yeggous!

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member

Hopefully more investment this year after taking last year off. Even something small like new pipes and guns on Tomcat Schuss would be nice.

I won't be upset if they do nothing given the year they just had. However I hope the long term goal is having modern pipes and guns with annual usage on 80% of the terrain. Right now it's still more like 65%. So basically adding Gondiline, Upper Wildcat and Tomcat Schuss.

mbedle

Just a couple of things I heard while riding the lifts this week at Stowe. They have spent over $1,000,000 on electric this year for snow making. They are $5,000,000 below average income for this season. A snowmaker riding the gondola on Tuesday stated that snowmaking was over. An other person indicated that they are committed to staying open until the closing date and will fire up the guns as needed to patch up thin areas. That latter seems to be the case, since the guns are on this morning at the resort.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Just a couple of things I heard while riding the lifts this week at Stowe. They have spent over $1,000,000 on electric this year for snow making. They are $5,000,000 below average income for this season. A snowmaker riding the gondola on Tuesday stated that snowmaking was over. An other person indicated that they are committed to staying open until the closing date and will fire up the guns as needed to patch up thin areas. That latter seems to be the case, since the guns are on this morning at the resort.

$1M is not that much for electricity. It may be for Stowe, where they are normally blessed with abundant snow, but I'll bet several mountains in the east exceed this in a normal year.

drjeff

A whole bunch of fanguns lit up all over Mount Snow about 4PM today! :fangun: :Daffy:

Attachments

• 1456521970243.jpg
    1456521970243.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 105

VTKilarney

Burke made snow on Lower Fox's Folly. I think that this is to divert traffic from the races on Warren's Way this weekend.

Quietman

Crotched started blowing snow at 9am this morning when the temps were marginal and have been blowing all day, but only on 4 trails, so maybe 2 ways down. Still a lot better than nothing!

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Crotched started blowing snow at 9am this morning when the temps were marginal and have been blowing all day, but only on 4 trails, so maybe 2 ways down. Still a lot better than nothing!

Considering the magnitude of damage caused by Weds. storm followed by "blowtorch Thursday, it was amazing the quality of the skiing that mountain ops was able to provide yesterday (Fri. 2/27/16). Last season, snowmaking shut down for the season in mid-Jan. I've never seen the smaller areas on board so late with spring snowmaking - but then again: I don't remember such a terrible winter in the snowmaking era.

machski

I don't think anyone has "budget" left. As previously mentioned, I heard directly from the horse's mouth that Wildcat has pumped twice as much water uphill this year as last.

You are honestly going to try and compare the amount of water pumped for snowmaking last year (in a phenomenal snow year) vs this year? I'm surprised it's only double!

drjeff

Mount Snow's GM just announced that they're firing the fanguns back up to resurface for the weekend :fangun:

They did a very good job last weekend putting down a GOOD machine made packed powder surface for Saturday morning. I'm looking forward to a hopeful repeat surface to enjoy in less than 48hrs! :)

Hado226

Berkshire East hitting it hard now. Started about midnight last night. Plan to run guns through tomorrow morning preparing for the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bigbog

Sunday River is still expanding with guns on Firestar and Black Hole. Not sure if I agree with it or not though, as building up spring trails seems wiser. Anyway, todays email said plenty more days of snowmaking to go.

Think they still have some accumulated over their base and with our week-long temps sub-freezing they'll try to squeeze as many wkends for the southern NE crowds as they can...

Domeskier

For folks near the Poconos, Blue Mt. is reporting that they blew snow on 22 trails last night. Looks like they might be getting some natural snow tomorrow, too.

Jcb890

Mount Snow's GM just announced that they're firing the fanguns back up to resurface for the weekend :fangun:

They did a very good job last weekend putting down a GOOD machine made packed powder surface for Saturday morning. I'm looking forward to a hopeful repeat surface to enjoy in less than 48hrs! :)

Good news! I'll be there Sunday with a group from work.