• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NVt Intel

Kleetus

Starting to get worried about using up these Ski VT passes given the way this winter is progressing, and was thinking of maybe heading up to Stowe/SB/MRG this weekend.

I've seen a few TRs from last week but was curious how coverage has held up on natural trails and how they have been skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

I am in the same boat, heading to either Smuggs/MRG/Bolton this weekend. Looks to be very windy on saturday, wondering where the best bet would be.

Sugarbush is probably the best bet. Of the three you mentioned, I'm thinking Smuggs, but it's the lesser of three evils. MRG might hold more snow during this warmup, but they didn't have much to offer in the first place.

rocks860

Coverage was pretty good at sugarbush on Sunday and Monday, getting a bit icy though. I was at MRG on Tuesday and there were quite a few bare spots but nothing had really iced up. It was pretty warm the last two days so I don't know if stuff melted and refroze. I'm at sugarbush today and planning on checking out castle rock so I'll report back

steamboat1

I'll be using most of my Ski VT. Passes this weekend but not because I'm worried about the rest of the season. My daughter wants to go this weekend & I bought the passes just for that reason so I can ski a weekend or two with her relatively inexpensively (that's all she skis). I have no idea where we'll be skiing yet.

steamboat1

I can only give a week old Sugarbush report since that's the last time I was there. They had 3"-5" last Thurs. morning & skiing was pretty good. Pretty sure that's the last time they had accumulating snow of any significance. The OP did state that he was worried about using his Ski VT. Passes hence my response.

BenedictGomez

Ditto here as well. Gonna' be a challenge using all my passes this year. May even have to try to monetize a few in the parking lot for the ones I have several of, "Psstt....hey buddy, wanna' save $20 per ticket off that window rate".

Just back from 3 days in the Mad River Valley. Skied North on Monday and MRG Tues & Wed. Coverage at SB was very good, even natural snow trails had plenty of coverage; you just had to pick your lines and make sure you have some skis you don't mind getting a scratch or two. MRG was very boney, but still lots of fun on Tuesday. Woods skied quite well, but still not up to par with usual season snowfall. Yesterday on the other hand was "challenging" due to the glaze/light rain Tuesday night. MRG was not the place to be, but since we had 2 day, $4 total lift tix we stuck it out. As long as you stayed mid-station up on single the snow was light and dry. Below that area, solid teeth rattling conditions with zero grooming (of course) so we quit about 1 ish. Still managed 10 runs and another day in the books.

rocks860

Well castlerock was great up top. Definitely some bare spots/rocks but very very nice. Unfortunately I am now sitting in the clinic hoping I didn't dislocate my shoulder. Hit some ice right by heavens gate and went down hard, complete yard sale. It doesn't hurt but when I rotate my arm to the left it feels like something is popping out at the shoulder and hurts like a bitch

steamboat1

Well castlerock was great up top. Definitely some bare spots/rocks but very very nice. Unfortunately I am now sitting in the clinic hoping I didn't dislocate my shoulder. Hit some ice right by heavens gate and went down hard, complete yard sale. It doesn't hurt but when I rotate my arm to the left it feels like something is popping out at the shoulder and hurts like a bitch

Well that sucks. Hope it just bruised.

rocks860

Just had a lovely chat with a ski patroller while he has taking a look. He definitely felt it dislocate a little while I moved it in a certain way but there doesn't seem to be much swelling and not really much pain. They recommended not skiing the rest of today but my gf is coming up tonight so maybe I'll just cruise some greens with her tomorrow. They have a clinic affiliated with uvm but no one is there until tomorrow so maybe I'll stop by there tomorrow. So bottom line is it isn't dislocated at the moment but not sure what's wrong with it

dlague

Sugarbush is probably the best bet. Of the three you mentioned, I'm thinking Smuggs, but it's the lesser of three evils. MRG might hold more snow during this warmup, but they didn't have much to offer in the first place.

for the OP, MRG needs more snow! I agree Sugarbush/Stowe are the better options of the three IMO. For other suggestions, Smuggs coming from NY is a little harder to get to than SB. Also, depending on the potential for crowds, the two person relatively slow chairs at Smuggs can be a bit disheartening. Then again that is just me. VTK is coming from a better direction for Smuggs. Coming from the 89 Smuggs is in a weird spot.

Last edited:

dlague

Just had a lovely chat with a ski patroller while he has taking a look. He definitely felt it dislocate a little while I moved it in a certain way but there doesn't seem to be much swelling and not really much pain. They recommended not skiing the rest of today but my gf is coming up tonight so maybe I'll just cruise some greens with her tomorrow. They have a clinic affiliated with uvm but no one is there until tomorrow so maybe I'll stop by there tomorrow. So bottom line is it isn't dislocated at the moment but not sure what's wrong with it

Rotator Cuff issue?

rocks860

No idea. We're only here until Saturday so I'm gonna go to the clinic tomorrow and go to a dr when I get back if necessary

dlague

No idea. We're only here until Saturday so I'm gonna go to the clinic tomorrow and go to a dr when I get back if necessary

Well I hope for the best and I and sure you are too! Do not want to be in the injury thread.

tumbler

Downspout strikes again!!! Advil, ice and apres drinks should do the trick for you I hope. Feel better

rocks860

Downspout strikes again!!! Advil, ice and apres drinks should do the trick for you I hope. Feel better

Wasn't downspout it was the bottom of ripcord right by the lift where the fencing is. Must have just been solid ice

Kleetus

for the OP, MRG needs more snow! I agree Sugarbush/Stowe are the better options of the three IMO. For other suggestions, Smuggs coming from NY is a little harder to get to than SB. Also, depending on the potential for crowds, the two person relatively slow chairs at Smuggs can be a bit disheartening. Then again that is just me. VTK is coming from a better direction for Smuggs. Coming from the 89 Smuggs is in a weird spot.

I'm actually heading up from Boston. I am out there for work this week and since I'm in the area it's a good time drive wise to head up to VT. If only snow wise it was a good time...

I normally wouldn't be concerned about not using my tickets...but with the winter the way it's been and no signs of improvement I'm thinking it could be a possibility if I don't go now and wait it out it may not result in better conditions

Is smuggs skiing that much better than SB/Stowe?

dlague

I'm actually heading up from Boston. I am out there for work this week and since I'm in the area it's a good time drive wise to head up to VT. If only snow wise it was a good time...

I normally wouldn't be concerned about not using my tickets...but with the winter the way it's been and no signs of improvement I'm thinking it could be a possibility if I don't go now and wait it out it may not result in better conditions

Is smuggs skiing that much better than SB/Stowe?

I think Smuggs was brought up because the person who brought it up is closer to it. I were choosing and the cost is the same since I think you are using a Ski VT Pass - Stowe or Sugarbush would be my choice.