• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2-3-2016

Whitey

I totaled my car driving in a SNOW storm to jay peak from sugarloaf. Moose ran into the road. Flipped my crv. Moose walked away like nothing happened. I was fine, a little bruised. Seatbelts people.

Holy sh!t dude, that's quite a road trip. Sugarloaf to Jay?! I mean, those are two great mtns, but good g0d that must have been a long drive. I bet it was "scenic" until the moose showed up. Plus didn't you have to drive by Saddleback, Sunday River, Burke, etc to get there?

KustyTheKlown

it was like 3 seasons ago when maine got pounded in mid December and vt had nothing. I went up to the loaf on 12/22 but it then began to rain in Maine and pound at jay. Went to bed at 6 pm, woke at 3 am, started driving. Hit the moose near island pond vt. It was a beautiful drive in the light snow. Came to a hill, couldn't see the moose til the crest, and he was right in front of me, nothing I could do. Hitchhiker for an hour before the first car even passed. First car, a Mack truck, picked me up and took me to town. Crazy day. Jay reported like 18"

KustyTheKlown

and that drive doesn't pass any of those ski areas except maybe saddleback, but it was rain in maine. It's a 4 hour country road drive thru the north country

Last edited:

Whitey

Came to a hill, couldn't see the moose til the crest, and he was right in front of me, nothing I could do.

Funny thing, I ski all over the northeast and have for many years. All behind the wheel ski trip travel. In addition to that, for about 7 yrs my work required me to drive all over New England, including frequent trips to Bangor, Burlington, Littleton, etc.

In all that time of driving and staying in the northern areas of VT, NH, & ME - I've never seen a moose. A lot times my driving is at night or before dawn in the morning. People frequently caution me to be careful because driving in those areas at night - there's a lot of moose strikes. Nope, not a single moose. No exaggeration that short of living in those areas I should be the person who is most likely to have encountered a moose. Not even a glimpse of a piece of moose through the trees. And yet I've only seen a moose on videos & pictures.

It's gotten to the point where when I go up north I am looking around thinking "there's got to be a f_cking moose somewhere around here" and I just want to see one so I can say "OK, now I've seen a moose".

But then again, I don't need to see a moose like you did either. . .

Tin

All jokes aside glad you're OK dude. They say what exactly is wrong with the Subaru in the front end?

bdfreetuna

it was like 3 seasons ago when maine got pounded in mid December and vt had nothing. I went up to the loaf on 12/22 but it then began to rain in Maine and pound at jay. Went to bed at 6 pm, woke at 3 am, started driving. Hit the moose near island pond vt. It was a beautiful drive in the light snow. Came to a hill, couldn't see the moose til the crest, and he was right in front of me, nothing I could do. Hitchhiker for an hour before the first car even passed. First car, a Mack truck, picked me up and took me to town. Crazy day. Jay reported like 18"

Last year Saddleback got pounded with about 18" fresh on April 4-5th". Awesome skiing.

KustyTheKlown

also glad you're ok and glad you are choosing to settle the bet. dude next time every single person tells you "BAD IDEA", you should listen

fbrissette

In all that time of driving and staying in the northern areas of VT, NH, & ME - I've never seen a moose.

Just on the 10 miles stretch of 242 between Jay Peak and Montgomery I see a moose 3-4 times every year. Often a mother and calf.

Heck, once, while stopped watching a moose 50 yards in front of the car, I spotted a huge black bear crossing 242 in my rearview mirror. I kid you not.

bdfreetuna

also glad you're ok and glad you are choosing to settle the bet. dude next time every single person tells you "BAD IDEA", you should listen

Ehh, you were pretty much the only negative one on the situation. But I got your BTC tomorrow.

Now it's time to watch The Godfather and have some fun with my wife.

KustyTheKlown

yea I was just the most outspoken in straight up calling you an idiot, but my mama always said stupid is as stupid does