Radar Detectors - Page 20

AlpineZone

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Radar Detectors

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q View Post
    There is no way to accurately give the speed of a car by looking at a moving car unless you have a calibrated eyeball like Steve Austin.
    Depends on the level of accuracy you want. By optimizing the distance over which speed is judged, the margin of error could probably be reduced to within limits that are reasonable for purposes of law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Catskills View Post
    If they ever did that - EZ Passes would be sent back in droves...
    Which is why government has floated/explored the (awful) idea of mandating it.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q View Post
    There is no way to accurately give the speed of a car by looking at a moving car unless you have a calibrated eyeball like Steve Austin.
    Bionic Man references be dope.

I hadn't looked up the cost of laser jammers in several years, so this thread just made me do so..... disappointed to find that they're still outrageously expensive.

My favorite radar detector company, for instance, has an integrated model that's $1,600. WTH is the sense in that? I'd have to get a slew of tickets before it pays for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Which is why government has floated/explored the (awful) idea of mandating it.
    Toll workers unite!

Wouldn't you run the risk of a cop detecting a LIDAR jammer and pulling you over for that regardless of speeding?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Bionic Man references be dope.
    I was hoping somebody caught that.

80db9029ceee947fad8f2992afc748.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Wouldn't you run the risk of a cop detecting a LIDAR jammer and pulling you over for that regardless of speeding?
    It's illegal in something like 10 states or so, and I've heard the fines are very high.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Regardless of whom he works for, virtually everything he said was literally incorrect, as x1003q pointed out in detail (and it the reason for the slight amendments/clarifications, shift changes, and backtracking).

Regardless, my point (i.e. the one I was actually talking about), stand, which, to reiterate ---> is that radars are still quite useful due to the fact LIDAR is not used nearly as much as you'd think, even by the departments own the technology, it's not insignificant limitations, and the fact that that it's a P.I.T.A. that many cops dislike.
    Amendments....Shifts....Backtracking? On what stance I'm confused? I can show you an operating manual that would back up everything. This is a ridiculous conversation to even have when you have never used one or had experience with one.

The technology is amazingly accurate. They are not hard to use at all. It's as easy as looking through the scope, aiming the beam at a reflective object (head lights and license plates), and squeezing the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    The technology is amazingly accurate. They are not hard to use at all. It's as easy as looking through the scope, aiming the beam at a reflective object (head lights and license plates), and squeezing the trigger.
    Nobody doubts/denies that.

It's all the other stuff we're disagreeing with you about (e.g. radar detectors are useless because of LIDAR, e.g. bad weather has zero effect on LIDAR, e.g. LIDAR is easy-peasey for police to use at night, e.g. most cops love to use LIDAR, e.g. it's commonly used through the windshield, and other examples I wont bother listing).

Thread Information