• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/15-2/18. A New Hope or We are Screwed.

bdfreetuna

NOAA / NWS maps paint a broad stroke over regions and don't take elevation into account. I look at them too, and the Euro and Canada and others as well. Whatever they say is probably accurate for the average elevation in the area. But you know, we ski mountains :)

Hope everyone has a good weekend there might be a bit of icing in between a couple good snows and probably a not too significant amount of rain at some point below mid-VT. If you're skiing the Adirondacks or Mid/No-VT or anywhere equivalent it's shaping up to be one to remember.

I'd suggest planning on your favorite northern resort cuz it's going to be fresh up there. And a good chance things could swing just slightly and the Berkshires even will just see a thin coat of ice in between snows, and a few drops of rain. We'll see.

abc

I really gotta start reading the username before I get excited by the post.
I ALWAYS do (reading the username before I read the post itself). Especially in the weather forum.

There're only a few posters who have ANY understanding of what are in the models. The rest of the posts are just idle speculations which I skip over with only a quick glance. With new names, I follow them for a few and put that name in the "skip" vs "read" list. :)

Weather and condition is the main reason I'm on here at all. Lately the weather forum has got a much larger portion of trash talk than previous years. That's why I don't check the forum as often as previous years. (ok, I'm guilty of adding to the trash pile with this post)

catsup948

How about say maybe the very tippy top of northern Vermont mountains get 3-6 inches total. Including any backside snow which is still being shown on the GFS and NAM. The initial snow probably just turns to complete slush or just washed away. The snow maps in Vermont do show elevation. Dreams of knee deep powder need to stay in your dreams.

bdfreetuna

VTK you really got nothing better to do than dig up a funny photo from one of my many trip reports. Let's see your ugly mug.

The trash talk and moronic behavior is getting out of hand. I'm not going anywhere. Because I have respect for people and believe me it's going to be one of you like VTK getting a temp ban for going over the top and being unnecessarily mean before me. If you think my predictions are on the optimistic side, go talk about it with your therapist.

Last edited:

VTKilarney

VTK you really got nothing better to do than dig up a funny photo from one of my many trip reports. Let's see your ugly mug.

The trash talk and moronic behavior is getting out of hand. I'm not going anywhere. If you think my predictions are on the optimistic side, go talk about it with your therapist.

Why so angry? There are things in life that are worth getting angry about - like totaling a car when everyone tells you that it's not worth taking the trip. But an internet forum? Nah... Not worth it.

You really ought to block me again. Seriously. Block me. Please.

bdfreetuna

Block me. Some guy in the NEK who decided he doesn't like me a couple years ago and spends half his time on here bashing me isn't really my problem or concern.

mriceyman

No more rain for Mid VT upwards. Just a sprinkle in the Berkshires. 6" of snow before the weekend in Berkshires and more in VT.

Lol just be careful driving.. How many cars can you afford to wreck?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

hammer

Any other updates on when the frozen precip will start happening and where? Seems like we are screwed for the whole storm (don't share bdfreetuna's optimism), but I have plans for this evening in/near Nashua that I'm trying to figure out.

Guessing ski areas are pretty busy today. If I were on vacation this week I'd be out today while the conditions are still decent. Who knows, maybe tomorrow will be also fine before the big NCP event.

BenedictGomez

This is the sort of concrete base builder that wouldn't bother me on December 15th. On February 15th it stinks.

Still cant believe the track this thing is going to take. If I could draw a line on a map to ruin conditions at as many ski areas as possible in the east, from Pennsylvania to Maine, this is probably what I'd draw. For a while there, I thought Whiteface would be the one place that would be sparred, but even that doesnt appear to be the case barring an 80 due east kick. Ski country will likely be like a Crashed Ice course Wednesday.

crashedice1.jpg

VTKilarney

Waiting for you to post my address, phone number and social security number..

That's rather paranoid. Is the guy with the arm coming out of your ear whispering things to you?

Getting back to the discussion at hand, here is the Weather Channel's snowfall forecast. The map looks better than reality since it doesn't include rainfall or ice.

Snow.jpg

bdfreetuna

See my signature steamboat. Every day except for Killington was fantastic. Go read the trip reports and see the pics for yourself.

Wrong once. Must be nice to never be wrong and never have a car accident.

Subaru Legacy GT up on deck to replace the Impreza. I'll try really, really hard not to crash it for you guys.

deadheadskier

Staff member
He's referring to the time in December you claimed Killington was getting a foot and you'd be skiing trees. They got 4" that storm.