• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cold wet feet!

skiahman

Looking for ideas to end notoriously cold, wet feet........have tried many different things......any suggestions appreciated.....thoughts on heated socks appreciated.............

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hot tronic boot heating system with Smartwool UltraLite socks.

I bought the heaters maybe six years ago and haven't needed to go inside because of cold feet ever since. Best $200 investment in skiing equipment I've ever made.

xwhaler

Hot tronic boot heating system with Smartwool UltraLite socks.

I bought the heaters maybe six years ago and haven't needed to go inside because of cold feet ever since. Best $200 investment in skiing equipment I've ever made.

But would we find you at a bar stool in the Onset Pub tomorrow right at 11?! Perhaps on acct of cold feet?
Tomorrow/this wknd is the test of your fancy hot tronic gadget!

jimmywilson69

I will be investing in Hot Tronics next year. I ask everyone I see with them whether they work, and they seem to get 100% approval ratings! I'm pretty sure DHS and I discussed at some point as well.

Currently I us the sticky toe warmers and they are ok. I find that the problem is worse at my local hill, because the runs are short and I actually spend more time on the fixed grip lifts than skiing. Last week in Vermont, while not ultra cold, I didn't have the problem because I was pumping enough blood to keep my feet warm.

Angus

I might be completely off base here but I wear the thinnest socks possible and never have a cold foot problem. My theory is heavier socks, feet perspire, perspiration on skin cools, makes feet cold.

drjeff

Try some spray anti-perspirant on your feet before putting on a dry pair of thin ski socks

Spray your feet with it, let them dry for 30 seconds or so, and then put on your ski socks and into your boots - stopping the sweating makes a big difference for many

And as others in this thread have said, hot-tronics are great, and thin ski socks are key

deadheadskier

Staff member
But would we find you at a bar stool in the Onset Pub tomorrow right at 11?! Perhaps on acct of cold feet?
Tomorrow/this wknd is the test of your fancy hot tronic gadget!

I will be there on account of cold liver.

Hado226

Cayenne sprinkled in thin socks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

skiahman

My WAG?

Your boots are too large.

Good one! I just bought new boots and my bootfitter sized me down a half size for that reason and the fact that my old boots were just too big but the problem persists.

Already wear thin silk socks and found that the foot antiperspirants keep them dry but still get cold.

Thanks for the input!

steamboat1

I might be completely off base here but I wear the thinnest socks possible and never have a cold foot problem. My theory is heavier socks, feet perspire, perspiration on skin cools, makes feet cold.
All I ever wear is thin nylon socks. Never have a problem with cold feet. Thin socks let the heat from your feet escape warming the inside of the boot. The boot is what should be insulating your feet from the cold, not heavy socks which don't let the natural heat from your feet escape.

jimmywilson69

I also were a think ski specific sock and still have this problem. My boots are fully heat moldable Fischer Ranger boots that were customized to my feet. I know that my boots fit.

Its a sweating issue. when I'm done skiing my boots are soaked inside. I need to place them on a boot drier for at least 2 hours.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I should also state that I keep the Hottronics on setting two. It basically is just enough heat to keep your feet neutral. Not warm, not cold, just comfortable. That setting gets about six hours battery life as well. Rarely ski more than that per day unless conditions are amazing

BenedictGomez

Wouldn't a thin wool be the best choice for folks with sweaty feet given it absorbs water so well?

Sheep don't complain.

jimmywilson69

I remember you stating that previously. That's sort of what the toe warmers due, but I'm sure they don't generate nearly the same kind of heat

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wouldn't a thin wool be the best choice for folks with sweaty feet given it absorbs water so well?

Sheep don't complain.

I tried every different kind of sock and still had issues on bitter cold days.

I don't use the Hottronics when it is over 20. I have used them down to -10 without issue. Maybe even colder than that.

Whitey

Whitey the contrarian here again. . .

I had problems with my feet being cold for years. Went back to my younger days when I definitely had some degree of frostbite on my feet/toes and had problems keeping my feet warm after that. I had always followed the "thin socks are better" plan as that is the conventional wisdom.

But a couple of years ago my oldest son, who is a big kid with big feet, had outgrown a pair of boots (in 1 season) that were about a size larger than what I usually ski. I decided to give them a try and wear heavier socks. Been skiing like that ever since and haven't had cold feet since. Contrary to what people say - I don't have a problem with my feet moving around in my boot. And I'm no "groomers all day" kind of skier. I hammer my skis/boots = no problem with my feet staying still inside the boot. And even better, now they are warm too.

I think if I were out west or in spring conditions, the "thin sock and tight fitting boots" plan would be the right thing. But 10 degrees at the base of Cannon kind of skiing = I'll happily roll with my big heavy socks inside my oversize boots. . .