We are a country wusses! - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

"Make Greenland Green again"

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    A little brisk at Mount Snow this AM (I took the picture at 7:45AM on my back deck) and that doesn't even account for the 15-20mph winds!! Weather Channel is saying the wind chill in the area is -46!

Think I'll wait until noon or so to go grab a few turns
    Only -10 here and I am still waiting to this afternoon to catch a few runs
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

9 am, a few miles from Sugarloaf, temp:-12 *F, windchill: - 23*F. This may be a good XC day. On the mountain only King Pine is on wind hold... hmm..
    Live for today

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpsis View Post
    9 am, a few miles from Sugarloaf, temp:-12 *F, windchill: - 23*F. This may be a good XC day. On the mountain only King Pine is on wind hold... hmm..
    Leaving gatehouse lodge at Sugarbush. I guess I should have worn a neck warmer
    Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 9.25.36 AM.jpg

Looked at the temp at Greek this morning, -18, thought about blowing today off, glad I didn't, sun's been out all morning, winds seem less than yesterday, not terrible. In the bar now, skied from 9:30 till 11:00, toes are a little cold, that's about it. Oh, couldn't light my morning bowl on the lift, cheap ass dollar store lighters, it works for shit even when it isn't frigid, time to upgrade, matches would probably be a good backup for days like today.
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Canyon quad at Killington on hold today for exposure. Never heard that one before.
    K has used exposure as a reason a lift is closed before. Sugarbush closes Slidebrook all the time because of exposure, I'm sure it's closed today.

I must admit this weekend's cold temps had me feeling a little Randy.
    1455504495839.jpg
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    I went skiing today. It was cold, it was windy (and snowy at times with a couple of good bursts in the am). Good PP and some nice choices of bumps today (Rocket ROTD). My fingers pay the price of frostbite when young as the pain gets to me. After lunch it kind of got pleasant for a while in the sun but once that dropped so did the temps. Probably will skip tomorrow and sleep.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    we were on our way up yesterday, about 20 minutes from home, when the program director called and advised us to reconsider...even though we've done single digit F temps with no issues, given the possibility of crazy wind chill i deferred to his better judgment

-114 windchill on Whiteface on Sat night. That's serious.
    I rarely ski on Pres Weekend for crowd/cost avoidance reasons. But this year must admit I got to avoid cold temps too, which we're having even down here in mid-Atlantic.
    I love all skiing, East, West, North, South. In recent years I've been able to ski out west quite a bit. I gotta tell you, 20 degs out there feels like 45 degs in the East. I hate to spread this wormlike wussie talk, but it's true. It must be the low humidity and the the more intense high altitude sunshine?? It just feels different. The other thing that drives you nuts in the Northeast is it can be 4 degs one day and 44 degs and raining the next.
    Last edited by jimk; Feb 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spring_mountain_high View Post
    we were on our way up yesterday, about 20 minutes from home, when the program director called and advised us to reconsider...even though we've done single digit F temps with no issues, given the possibility of crazy wind chill i deferred to his better judgment
    Jim:

I skipped yesterday. Saturday was cold, but the conditions were really good (and zero crowds). Hopefully this weeks weather doesn't do too much damage. They've been doing a good job of resurfacing but how long do they continue to do so? From here next weekend looks springlike (I won't complain about that unless they really melt down)

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    -114 windchill on Whiteface on Sat night. That's serious.
    I rarely ski on Pres Weekend for crowd/cost avoidance reasons. But this year must admit I got to avoid cold temps too, which we're having even down here in mid-Atlantic.
    I love all skiing, East, West, North, South. In recent years I've been able to ski out west quite a bit. I gotta tell you, 20 degs out there feels like 45 degs in the East. I hate to spread this wormlike wussie talk, but it's true. It must be the low humidity and the the more intense high altitude sunshine?? It just feels different. The other thing that drives you nuts in the Northeast is it can be 4 degs one day and 44 degs and raining the next.
    Jim: You hitting on all the points that have my wife and I looking at a 5-7 year plan of going west. The combination of last year and this year have just been selling that idea big time. Last year the snow was great here but the cold got to us as my wife got badly frost bitten on a stupid cold day at Burke. We went west (Which was supposed to be horrible but was still better then back east) and it was so nice to ski in the 30's and come down the canyons to 60+ weather where we could just walk out in swim trunks to the hot tub. That plus the beginning of this season (I didn't start skiing until Jan 24th) which in my opinion was what it must be like to live in the deep south. Its all adding up to that move one of these days.

BTW Really enjoyed your reports on your safari last season and your Aspen report this year. Live that dream.

Alex'

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Thread Information