• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Berkshire East or Crotched for President's Day?

The Sneak

Hoping to get out tmrw before the rain effs things up.

I am trying to decide between Crotched and BEast...thinking Crotched will have better snow but may be more crowded?

What say ye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hrstrat57

Went to B East recently it was great. Week ago Saturday, didn't get there till 8:45 still parked in third row.

Dunno anything re Crotched.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Snow was good yesterday at Crotched. No crowds, but that was likely due to forecast. I've never really been to Crotched where lines are longer than 5 minutes.

I can't comment on BEasts conditions, but I'm sure it would be a good choice too.

Last edited:

medfordmike

I have not been to BEast this year yet. That being said the past few years I usually hit it on MLK day and Presidents' Day. Never had a problem with lines there . I have been to CM several times but always on a normal Saturday and the same could be said. I tend to like the feel of BEast a bit more (lodge, feel of the trails, etc) but if one is a lot closer I would go by that.

Hado226

Snow at BEAST was great today, though brutally cold...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quietman

I'm interested in what we see at the Crotch tomorrow. Pent up demand before the nfp event, or this year just sucks! Friday evening was nice, even some small bumps under the Rocket. Still dreaming about last year!!

bdfreetuna

I would pick Berkshire East 100% of the time unless for some reason they had no snow.

Looks like they are about 90% open and you can ski the woods anyway and duck a rope or two and they really don't care.

Hado226

I would pick Berkshire East 100% of the time unless for some reason they had no snow.

Looks like they are about 90% open and you can ski the woods anyway and duck a rope or two and they really don't care.
Recommend you stay out of the woods. Lots of new rock turned up by the bike trail projects, will take more base than in the past.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
Crotched was good today. Never waited more than a minute in line. Place was deserted until about 11am too. Nice packed powder and hardly any ice anywhere. As good a product as they produce, whoever is in charge of their park design needs to be fired. Two years in a row they have neglected to build a landing to their jumps. As much fun as it is to basically jump out of a two story building onto a flat surface, I can find a lot of other things I'd rather do if I'm trying to blow my knees and back apart.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not sure if you were on the forums at the time, but two years ago one of those flat landings was responsible for ejecting a portion of the fat pad in my heel out the side of my foot.

The Sneak

Berkshire East was good today. Stiff corduroy and sub zero temps first thing.

Began snowing around 1, was dumping pretty good for a while.

Was there a year ago today; incredible amounts of snow there last year at this time. Today things were firm flat and fast but not too scratchy. There were slick spots but in general the skiing was very good.

People seem to really have a hard time loading the summit chair. Saw one kid- a racer - fall out of the chair before it left the loading area...tons and tons of stoppages BC people are so challenged by the conveyor belt and gates setup.

A good day was had. The lodge was busy, liftlines never more than a couple of minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
Not sure if you were on the forums at the time, but two years ago one of those flat landings was responsible for ejecting a portion of the fat pad in my heel out the side of my foot.

I remember you telling me about that, didn't know it happened at Crotched. Can't say I'm surprised!! I remembered how crappy the landings were last year so I decided not to hit any of the jumps. I glided off one of the knuckles with barely any pop and still overshot the landing by about 5 feet. The worst part about it is the gaps are decent size so you need to keep your speed up to even clear them. I'd be shocked if there aren't frequent injuries on those things.

Quietman

Had a nice couple of hours at Crotched this afternoon, basically ski on, still good snow on most trails, and the sides of the busy ones. It will be interesting if they make snow later this week to get ready for NH vacation week.