• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Redemption Storm? 02/23/2016 - 02/26/2016

VTKilarney

I'd like to think that God has a lot better things to worry about than punishing a few idiots on an internet forum for mentioning Ullr.

But in the "good news" category, no sign of chem trails or chem bombs.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456147021.276008.jpg

hammer

OK, so I bailed on this past weekend in hopes that this storm would have helped things a bit. Bad decision, I know... :sadwalk:

Any thoughts on places that will handle this week's NCP and torch and be in some skiable shape next weekend? Looking to day trip within 2 hours of Nashua, closer is better because I don't want to waste a bunch of time for what I think may only be about 1/2 day of skiing.

bdfreetuna

I really don't know Tuna's motivation in telling people not to pray to Ullr. It could have been entirely tongue and cheek, but it's hard to tell with folks who are so overtly religious like he is. That's why I questioned him and was implying " hold your horses, don't tell people who not to worship."

I believe in both freedom OF religion and freedom FROM religion. Believe whatever you want, just don't impose those beliefs on others.

Believe me it was entirely tongue in cheek and the original response was a sarcastic reply to someone wanting to know "tuna's take on this".

You seem quite the evangelist for agnosticism, even overtly so in this thread. :)

My belief that there is only one God and He sent His Son to save all who believe should not be taken as a threat or attempt at conversion. That's basically just the definition of Christianity. And people of all religions believe their God / gods are the real ones.

Best way to "Coexist" IMO is not by saying we shouldn't ever mention our religions in public spaces or discuss them. I believe you have freedom FROM religion, as in, you don't have to practice or believe anything, and you can avoid discussing religion for the most part in life. But the vast majority of folks believe in some higher power, so practically, and as a matter of free speech, you don't actually have freedom from hearing about other people's religions from time to time.

That all said I believe God is the one who converts people, not me. If I'm going to try to witness to somebody it's one on one and because they're seeking some kind of truth and they're open to the discussion. I don't ever tell people what to believe.

When I converted to Christianity a few years ago several people actually told me I was nuts and needed to "stay agnostic". That hit me pretty hard, because it actually eventually went beyond that, the level of disrespect for my beliefs, and I lost those people as friends as a result.

So yeah, don't worry about it. Homie don't play dat.

On the other hand I do believe there is a great deal more evidence for the reality of certain religions versus certain other ones. Historical records, fulfilled prophecy, etc etc. Ullr probably never even existed as a god of worship so to me that's like worshiping some guy I just made up called Steve.

So personally I don't place imaginary Steve or Ullr on the same level as the same God that's been worshiped since the beginning of recorded history. And I mean not as a religious belief, but as a matter of practical logic.

But again I'm not telling anyone what to do. I probably shouldn't have mentioned the name of my God in a sarcastic manner in the first place.

Also, for an "overtly religious person", I've mentioned religion at all in what, 5 out of 1,634 posts (and all in the same thread)? I doubt it's going to come up very often around here.

Last edited:

tnt1234

OK, so I bailed on this past weekend in hopes that this storm would have helped things a bit. Bad decision, I know... :sadwalk:

Any thoughts on places that will handle this week's NCP and torch and be in some skiable shape next weekend? Looking to day trip within 2 hours of Nashua, closer is better because I don't want to waste a bunch of time for what I think may only be about 1/2 day of skiing.

In the same boat here, with a lot more driving....

Also blew off jay/stowe last weekend thinking THIS storm would be the one....crap.

Jay did OK after he last rain - I don't really know enough about weather to know why - was it the remnants of that last storm turning into snow, or separate events all together?

Currently wondering if I should drive up thursday through the rain and hope it converts to snow overnight, yielding something decent friday, or just throw in the towel and know we'll be skiing icy groomers, and just drive up friday for the weekend, leave an option for monday if some of the snow in the forecast actually happens.

VTKilarney

I got a little luckier than I had anticipated. We were planning on skiing in the Eastern Townships Tuesday through Thursday. It looks like Tuesday and Wednesday will be okay, and just Thursday will be bad. Fortunately, I hadn't purchased tickets yet for Thursday. We will just drive home instead of skiing on Thursday. No big deal.

fbrissette

Jay did OK after he last rain - I don't really know enough about weather to know why - was it the remnants of that last storm turning into snow, or separate events all together?

Jay pretty much avoided all rain. Purely an altitude effect. It only snowed above 1500' right along the spine of the greens. At 1800' it was wet snow, above 3000', all snow. Dry but dense.

Currently wondering if I should drive up thursday through the rain and hope it converts to snow overnight, yielding something decent friday, or just throw in the towel and know we'll be skiing icy groomers, and just drive up friday for the weekend, leave an option for monday if some of the snow in the forecast actually happens.

Wednesday and Thursday are going to be warm. At this point, a little bit of snow followed by rain, hopefully not too much. Then the cold comes back with some snow in the forecast. I would bet on Saturday more than Friday however.

tnt1234

Jay pretty much avoided all rain. Purely an altitude effect. It only snowed above 1500' right along the spine of the greens. At 1800' it was wet snow, above 3000', all snow. Dry but dense.

Wednesday and Thursday are going to be warm. At this point, a little bit of snow followed by rain, hopefully not too much. Then the cold comes back with some snow in the forecast. I would bet on Saturday more than Friday however.

thanks.

ChicoKat

Here is a pretty picture. Most likely never happen since it is light years away but....

Disclaimer: This is a non-denominational posting. All are welcome to scoff at it.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_41.png

tnt1234

@#%$%#%#....

Now I have to decide wether to push back ONE MORE WEEKEND.....

But really, these forecasts have all fallen apart from about 10 days outs. I'l think I'm sharpening my edges and going skiing this weekend...

bdfreetuna

This could be a decent base builder but I'm skipping this weekend to pick up the Subie, hope things pan out for a 2 day next weekend either Wildcat & Cannon or Bolton Valley if they actually open some trails.

Would be nice if it got the Mad River valley back in the shape it was a month ago... after things soften up a bit.

catsup948

Here is a pretty picture. Most likely never happen since it is light years away but....

Disclaimer: This is a non-denominational posting. All are welcome to scoff at it.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_41.png

How many awesome looking snowstorms modeled ten days out have verified this winter? Wait for it..... Zero!

mriceyman

This could be a decent base builder but I'm skipping this weekend to pick up the Subie, hope things pan out for a 2 day next weekend either Wildcat & Cannon or Bolton Valley if they actually open some trails.

Would be nice if it got the Mad River valley back in the shape it was a month ago... after things soften up a bit.

Unfortunatly no it wont be

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

Oh I just saw that model was for March 4th.

Lots of snow storms that people have tracked have fallen through yet some places have been getting plenty of snow mostly under the radar. Still looks like now through the end of the weekend could be a net gain for higher elevations and altitudes if you're not trying to ski Thurs/Fri/Sat.

Right now I'm hoping for a March overall recovery leading up to at least a passable spring season. Sugarbush seems to think this will be a good back end snow year. We'll see.

Too bad for the smaller and lower elevation mountains, at least some of them showed off their snowmaking abilities this season.

Los

Exactly. You obviously remembered my decision to leave once my gift card is used up. Thanks for bringing up that example. That's exactly what I was talking about, Tuna.

This might be my favorite post ever.

"That's exactly what I was talking about, Tuna." hahaha

I always enjoy your posts VTKilarney. For what it's worth.