Worst Ski Season Ever?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Worst Ski Season Ever?

Anyone remember a worse season than this one?

It has almost gotten to the point that it is like Mother Nature is playing a bad joke on us.

I'm having fun so far. Really tired of hearing all the doom & gloom.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    I'm having fun so far. Really tired of hearing all the doom & gloom.
    Agree!!

While certainly not an epic season thus far, I've come to realize that especially in the Northeast, the reality is over an entire season we might get on a good year 5 to maybe 10 days of GREAT skiing, a bunch of decent to good days and then some semi ugly to ugly days. The weather variability is, and always has been, a characteristic of skiing in the Northeast.

I'm lucky enough that I get to ski a lot of days a season, most of which is based on my kids race and training schedule, so I'm going to go out and make some runs regardless of the weather and/or snow conditions. Even this weekend when there was everything from serious cold to high winds to rain, I had a good time on the slopes, even if the slopes weren't at their best.

Has this season been historically good so far? Nope. That being said, I've still had a bunch of really good days that involved anything but powder and/or tree skiing (2 things that I DO enjoy for sure).

Just think about it this way, if mother nature continues her challenging ways in New England this year, the reality is that the dreaded AZ "who's closed already" thread will start popping up in a couple of weeks, and could grow much quicker than usual this year For all the folks holding on to various vouchers, sick days, etc with the hopes of things changing, would you rather at the end of your season still have a bunch of those on hand because those "epic" days you were hoping for never happened or would you rather have gotten in more "ok" days instead of less total ski days??? Time to make some lemonade out of the lemon of a season the next 2 to 6 weeks for most ski areas, and who knows how far beyond that for a few others???
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1 (Mount Snow)

I enjoy skiing pretty much no matter what, but yes this is by far the worst season I can remember.

Worst:
    Last edited by from_the_NEK; Feb 17, 2016 at 2:45 PM.
    You can see my photos here - http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Agree!!

While certainly not an epic season thus far, I've come to realize that especially in the Northeast, the reality is over an entire season we might get on a good year 5 to maybe 10 days of GREAT skiing, a bunch of decent to good days and then some semi ugly to ugly days. The weather variability is, and always has been, a characteristic of skiing in the Northeast.

I'm lucky enough that I get to ski a lot of days a season, most of which is based on my kids race and training schedule, so I'm going to go out and make some runs regardless of the weather and/or snow conditions. Even this weekend when there was everything from serious cold to high winds to rain, I had a good time on the slopes, even if the slopes weren't at their best.

Has this season been historically good so far? Nope. That being said, I've still had a bunch of really good days that involved anything but powder and/or tree skiing (2 things that I DO enjoy for sure).

Just think about it this way, if mother nature continues her challenging ways in New England this year, the reality is that the dreaded AZ "who's closed already" thread will start popping up in a couple of weeks, and could grow much quicker than usual this year For all the folks holding on to various vouchers, sick days, etc with the hopes of things changing, would you rather at the end of your season still have a bunch of those on hand because those "epic" days you were hoping for never happened or would you rather have gotten in more "ok" days instead of less total ski days??? Time to make some lemonade out of the lemon of a season the next 2 to 6 weeks for most ski areas, and who knows how far beyond that for a few others???
    In general agree with this and am making the best of it and having some fun. I'll still go up almost every weekend plus several extra holidays / when the kids are out of school.

Ratio this year though (at least for the days I have hit) has been zero GREAT days, a few decent to good days and mostly OK to semi-ugly days (and just skipped days that would have been really ugly)

I've only had one ugly day so far & that's because of getting soaked in the rain. Skiing surfaces that day were actually quite good though & was lucky to ski with good company that day. While I haven't had any deep powder days I have had several days with with fresh snow overnight, a couple at Sugarbush earlier this season & three last week at K. Only 1" to 4" each time but it freshened things up nicely. Otherwise the areas have done a fantastic job with snowmaking & grooming. Soft bump skiing has been limited but I did get a few good runs in both on natural & manmade. I'm not complaining how my season has gone so far.

Way too early to say whether it is the worst. For me the worst in recent memory was 2011-2012. I recall the end of March skiing Mt Ellen where you had to upload and download on GMX and there was still barely anything open up top (only 2 people were allowed per chair on Summit due to the narrow path you had to ski on when getting off the chair onto Panorama).

465327_413182702040489_1760280122_o.jpg472857_413183292040430_279066712_o.jpg

Yes 11/12 was pretty bad. I believe that was the year with the Halloween storm then no snow again until last week of Feb then 80 degrees for St Patrick's day weekend.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Thread Information