• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NWS 2016 / 2017 Winter forecast!

Skikarl

Looks good but what is also crucial for a snow filled winter is the flow of the jetstreams. This year is a big El Niño year which causes all the storms we receive to have more heat because they take a slightly southern path than usual. That is why this year we have been having rain when we should be having snow. Next year is predicted to be a La Niña but it is really to early to predict. By next summer we should have a clear picture as to what to expect next winter.

laxski

Hope we can get at least a Normal winter in the Northeast. Rented our place at Mt Snow out last 2 winters most likely won't next year.I have only done 5 days each of the last 2 winters hope to get back to 20-25 days. La Ninas can start out Cold and Snowy in December which would be awesome. A cold November would be nice also.

laxski

Agreed previous 2 winters were great, just put in 5 days the last 2 years. I hope to get back to 20-25 per season and it would be more fun if it were Snowy!!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It's going to get better next year.

It's going to get better...

If it were worse, all ski areas south of I-90 would be open 45 days a season, and all the major resorts would have ~20 trails open. I'm not even exaggerating...that's the sad part. Pretty hard for another season to be worse than this one.

Luckily I'm young and getting my "1 in 100 years" winter done early.

Los

ya'll have this seen this, right? not sure what it means for 2016-2017 ski season... what about la nina? will we have another el nino? inquiring minds want to know....
wsi_summer.jpg

yeggous

ya'll have this seen this, right? not sure what it means for 2016-2017 ski season... what about la nina? will we have another el nino? inquiring minds want to know....
View attachment 19707

It is way too early to predict ENSO for next year. That forecast is a joke, but has skill. What you see there is the global warming trend.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

〽❄❅

If it were worse, all ski areas south of I-90 would be open 45 days a season, and all the major resorts would have ~20 trails open. I'm not even exaggerating...that's the sad part. Pretty hard for another season to be worse than this one.

Luckily I'm young and getting my "1 in 100 years" winter done early.
well i'm old and I think you're Fcuked - open your eyes -

JimG.

Staff member
I'm tempted to lock this thread now as well as any others that are started discussing the winter of 2016-17.

You guys are hopeless.

Los

I'm tempted to lock this thread now as well as any others that are started discussing the winter of 2016-17.

You guys are hopeless.

What are you talking about? Go ahead and lock it then.