• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NWS 2016 / 2017 Winter forecast!

Los

boooooo..... :thumbdown: this discussion sucks! ladybugs?!? C'mon!!! -Gob Bluth

:)

dlague

Disclaimer - I am no weather expert. This is based on blogs and other reports that I have read and temperature forecasts for different areas.

So, I was researching the next two-three weeks and can see a nice trend for the Northeast where temps stay cool/cold. Looks like a couple days might experience some rain during the day but it is limited otherwise the Northeast is going to be well on its way towards getting the ski season off on a good start. With the colder temps especially at night, all the ski areas that are scheduled to open around Thanksgiving should not be an issue.

The Northwest including Southwest Canada, well they are getting pounded. There has been a very nice pattern for them which is lifting storms entering from the Pacific into that region and carrying across Northern States as well as into Southern Canada and not dipping down much until it get closer to New England (Bonus).

While the current jet stream works well for NW and NE, it does not bode well for Utah and Colorado with temps well above average with not real relief in sight since the temperature pattern continues to fluctuate. At best we will get some sloppy seconds from the next storm now entering CA that will bring some cold air but get pushed up north into Wyoming providing Utah and Colorado with some teaser snow but the current ridge of high pressure in the central US will push further north leaving Utah/Colorado with unfavorable temps for the next couple weeks - which sucks! Tahoe seems to be in the neutral zone between the NW and Utah/Colorado area where things could go either way for them but the ridge of high pressure will be warming them up too.

Overall the Northeast seems to be in great shape over the next few weeks, the NW while they have been getting hit, will dry out a little and Utah/Colorado will remain warm. Not the plan I had for this fall!

dlague

Environment Canada today's seasonal forecast (Oct. 31st) put at less than 10% the probability of having temperatures below the average for nov.-dec-jan, and put next month forecats at average at best.

https://weather.gc.ca/saisons/image_e.html?img=mfe1t_s

Well Average works if the temps are cold enough to support snow making or snowfall. But there is a lot of red and orange which is not good. Northeast seems neutral!

Los

I keep hearing from multiple sources that starting mid Nov through Xmas will be intense for NE! Just hoping it continues through the entire winter.

Sent from my LG-H901 using AlpineZone mobile app

Accuweather's three month forecast is very, very grim. Like a repeat of last year grim.

dlague

Does anyone remember the season when Killington got the Halloween storm? Yup able to poach runs T2B in October and the rest of the season sucked - not as bad as last year though. I do have to say there was one big storm that season that delivered at Jay Peak and dropped the most powder I had ever seen there. That was about it!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Accuweather's three month forecast is very, very grim. Like a repeat of last year grim.
You talking about this? Not so grim.

650x366_10281416_hd20.jpg

fbrissette

Really, colder than late fall 2015 ? That's a really really safe bet. We destroyed all records during that period last year.

yeggous

For those who really care...

For the past two weeks there has been strong evidence that mid to late November is going to be abnormally cold. The Polar Vortex is forecast to split in a way that is unusual (borderline historic) for this time of the year. We've seen this coming for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

JDMRoma

For the past two weeks there has been strong evidence that mid to late November is going to be abnormally cold. The Polar Vortex is forecast to split in a way that is unusual (borderline historic) for this time of the year. We've seen this coming for a while now.

Now this is encouraging !!

Thank you !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ALLSKIING

Staff member

Was hoping you would chime in with some credibility.

Sent from my LG-H901 using AlpineZone mobile app

Los

I care, and I'll take it! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone