• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NWS 2016 / 2017 Winter forecast!

4aprice

Winters not over by a long shot. Most long term forecasts I've seen turn back to cold the later part of Jan. It will be a late winter this year.

Sent from my LG-H901 using AlpineZone mobile app

Exactly. I've never seen a bell to bell eastern winter of good snow. We always have had thaws. Joshua Segal has a list of winters and what they were like (he goes so far as the rank them). I once saw a chart that showed the percentage of terrain open over an entire season, compiled of several seasons, (eastern) and no where was it 100% the whole time, and most of the times it was 100% were in February and March. I sincerely believe we will have a good 2nd half and an excellent spring.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

Well remain optimiostic, remember 2014-15 season? January was terrible all the way through January 18th and then the temps dropped and winter arrived and the season ended up being great!

January 2015

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...reqdb.zip=05751&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

Meanwhile in Colorado my son just got stuck on the west side of Berthoud Pass. Had to make him a hotel reservation as US 40 is closed due to a 2nd slide today. Sure enjoying the pictures out of the Sierra too with Jim Cantori up to his waist in snow at the base of Heavenly.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

catsup948

I would say it has been a pretty decent start to the winter for many. Reports from Northern Vermont and white mountain resorts have been very good. I have had several powder days in NH and even Massachusetts which is good for before mid Jan. That being said after tonight's wet snow things aren't looking great for the next ten days or so. Hopefully some changes take place end of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tnt1234

Yeah, I've had a good season so far - early days in the catskills, great powder day at Hunter with Claire's open and zero crowds....good conditions at sugarbush over x-mas (which is always a crap shoot) including hike-to castle rock run that was the highlight of the season, and a great day at MRG with 80% open, buttery snow everywhere, and a few nice tree runs... but now I want more!!! Trying to plan guy's weekend in VT and that's like herding cats between everyone's schedule, and we want to go with good skiing....

Hopefully something will turn here and we can make late Jan, first week in Feb work, otherwise, probably push off to March.

dlague

I have to admit in early to mid December there were days where I was thinking - sure now that I have moved they are getting powder days in December and the season is going to kick ass. Kind of a bummer to read about the recent cycles. NE needs a great winter.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

Honestly the skiing where I've been the past couple weeks has been pretty good.

Besides I'm pretty sure a pattern change is about to happen. Rebecca seems to think so and thus far she is on point.

Snow is mostly gone at the coast. I tuned up my bike this morning and plan on riding dirt as soon as the grounds firms back up this weekend

Tin

Just a bad few days at a popular time. This season has been incredible this year, don't mind a few bad days. Good signals for Tues-Weds.

tnt1234

Yeah, I'm stressing about end of Jan or First Week in Feb. Those are my next shots at a VT trip, and the long range forecasts right now are pretty crappy.

Hopefully they turn.

Who is Rebecca?

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Yeah, I'm stressing about end of Jan or First Week in Feb. Those are my next shots at a VT trip, and the long range forecasts right now are pretty crappy.

Hopefully they turn.

Who is Rebecca?
That's actually the time frame they said the pattern will change again. Rebecca's north east weather on FB

Sent from my LG-H901 using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

That blows for NE!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

I honestly don't get what is surprising about this or the panic that some are experiencing. Looks like a typical 2 week January thaw that happens almost every year. Snowmaking terrain should be fine. I plan on skiing right through it and enjoying the warmer temps while they are here. JB is calling for an "American Pie" February. At some point I would expect the west to calm and a big high pressure to form over the inter mountain west. The atmospheres reaction to that would be a nice trough over the east. We're not even at the 1/2 way point yet, give it some time.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

Fear not.

Joe Bastardi - This pattern Jan 25 on has me needing shots and leash cause I am like a rabid dog that hasnt eaten and sees red meat

Another met I follow thinks January 30 - February 7th is a great incubator timeframe for a northeast snowstorm.

tnt1234

I honestly don't get what is surprising about this or the panic that some are experiencing. Looks like a typical 2 week January thaw that happens almost every year. Snowmaking terrain should be fine. I plan on skiing right through it and enjoying the warmer temps while they are here. JB is calling for an "American Pie" February. At some point I would expect the west to calm and a big high pressure to form over the inter mountain west. The atmospheres reaction to that would be a nice trough over the east. We're not even at the 1/2 way point yet, give it some time.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

It's not surprising - it's just panic inducing when you only have a few chances for an extended weekend trip to the NEK...