• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Spring 2016

gmcunni

Fixed it for you...:sad:

i know.. was riding the lift @ catamount yesterday with my daughter, sketching out the rest of the season. we're going in CO for a week in April and will get a couple of days of skiing in. Daughter said that will be the end of her season and i started to question/challenge her but then i realized we're a week away from from March 1.

i hope something changes in the weather and we get the snowiest late winter (spring) ever but i doubt it will happen.

Last edited:

danimals

Poconos will make April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drjeff

Mount Snow's GM in a print interview in a local paper last week said that they are committed to skiing and riding into April (If mother nature cooperates of course)

Looking at their base depths yesterday on their core late season terrain, if we can get something, at least temperature wise, resembling a "normal" March, IMHO they have enough to make it to April based on what I've seen there over the years.

gmcunni

Mount Snow's GM in a print interview in a local paper last week said that they are committed to skiing and riding into April

i hope they do, i had some good april skiing there last year

(If mother nature cooperates of course)
that the part that worries me. ma nature isn't helping much this year.

drjeff

i hope they do, i had some good april skiing there last year

that the part that worries me. ma nature isn't helping much this year.

They've got a healthy amount of snow on multiple Northface trails, Carinthia as always has a bunch of snow to push around as the season winds down, and Cascade to Canyon has some solid base depth as well. So they've got some pieces of the puzzle in place to ski into April for sure, with the caveat of Mother Nature Cooperating of course!!!!

I'm sure the topic of "how long do you think you'll be able to stay open?" will be one of the 1st questions asked this weekend at the season passholders forum they're holding

benski

At Saturday there were some dirt showing threw on one of mount snows groomers.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Domeskier

Poconos will make April.

+1. Not sure if they can survive many more ~60 degree days, but there was definitely a ton of snow at Blue this weekend and it looks like they didn't lose any trails. Too bad they aren't really a late season player - I recall last season they closed around March 29 with a ton of snow on the mountain. If the Poconos make April, my money is on Camelback.

drjeff

At Saturday there were some dirt showing threw on one of mount snows groomers.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Yup, Unless things change DRAMATICALLY towards the snowy and cold the next month or so, all of the trails that were open this weekend, won't be open if they make it to April, as they don't build larger base depths on all of their snowmaking trails. Their core snowmaking trails, that typically are what is left at the end of the season, trails they do tend to make more snow on, have what historically I have seen to be enough snow to make it into April, IF WE GET A "NORMAL" MARCH temperature wise at least

4aprice

+1. Not sure if they can survive many more ~60 degree days, but there was definitely a ton of snow at Blue this weekend and it looks like they didn't lose any trails. Too bad they aren't really a late season player - I recall last season they closed around March 29 with a ton of snow on the mountain. If the Poconos make April, my money is on Camelback.

Heard they are up to something different this year. Scuttle butt is they will close the west side on Easter March 27th and go with the east side as long as they can. Not sure what that means. Nile Mile might be hard to keep open as would Pocono Raceway but I could see them take a page out of Killington's book and stock pile Cliffhanger. Cliffhanger (hopefully partially bumped) and drinks on the deck at the brand new Trails End Patio would be cool.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Domeskier

Heard they are up to something different this year. Scuttle butt is they will close the west side on Easter March 27th and go with the east side as long as they can. Not sure what that means. Nile Mile might be hard to keep open as would Pocono Raceway but I could see them take a page out of Killington's book and stock pile Cliffhanger. Cliffhanger (hopefully partially bumped) and drinks on the deck at the brand new Trails End Patio would be cool.

Spring bumps on Cliffhanger would be sweet. I hope they go for it. It would be even more awesome if they stayed open after Cliffhanger becomes the only way down, but that might be pushing it for a family hill.

goldsbar

Hunter has some huge base in some areas, not so much in others. Will be interesting. Lower K27 is steep and faces ESE, never a good combination for longevity without a ton of snow making.

Newpylong

I'm in central NH and the only sub freezing day forecasted for a week is Friday. Thankfully nights will be cold

frapcap

Gobs of rain in the forecast for tonight (after the snow) and tomorrow. Hopefully it blows through fast and doesn't eat the base again.
Rough year.

Los

I took one run at Whaleback last night and called it quits. It was a sheet of ice covered in spots with loose frozen granular. Probably the worst thing I've ever skied.

Having said that, the preteen ski racers seemed to be doing just fine.

Can't imagine how WB survives the rain over the next 48 hours... If I had to guess they're done as of today or tomorrow... Ugh...

Hado226

Yesterday Berkshire East had about 50 small new whales around the mountain. Provided tomorrow is no worse than currently expected, they'll push those whales into the trouble spots and be in good shape for Friday. Guns to fire up again late Friday

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
Groups of snowmakers out on the hill yesterday at Hunter.

Noticed Belleayre had stockpiled snow on top and had top coated a lot of bumps when I was there this past weekend.