• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

considering quebec

gladerider

Kleetus,

Would appreciate a trip report. I'm heading up the following week. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
Kleetus,

Would appreciate a trip report. I'm heading up the following week. Thanks.

Heading up to Mont St Anne and Le Massif 20th-24th.

Not expecting the great conditions Cannonball got, I'll be happy to ski on some real snow and in some trees.

gladerider

Heading up to Mont St Anne and Le Massif 20th-24th.

Not expecting the great conditions Cannonball got, I'll be happy to ski on some real snow and in some trees.
I'm heading up to Tremblant on 3/24. MSA and le massif should have better condition, me thinks.

fbrissette

I'm heading up to Tremblant on 3/24. MSA and le massif should have better condition, me thinks.

Not necessarily. Le massif has a southern orientation. MSA is also mostly south with a smaller, less interesting north face. Tremblant has a solid north side that holds snow for a while.

gladerider

Not necessarily. Le massif has a southern orientation. MSA is also mostly south with a smaller, less interesting north face. Tremblant has a solid north side that holds snow for a while.
Didn't know that. I'll be happy if they have enough base to survive the next 10 days of torching and rain.

JimG.

Staff member

Well, I have not made reservations yet we are going midweek after the holidays are over. Is Tremblant a better choice at this point?

fbrissette

Well, I have not made reservations yet we are going midweek after the holidays are over. Is Tremblant a better choice at this point?

At this point they're all good with 100% coverage. More a matter of taste, weather and what your want to do after skiing.

JimG.

Staff member
At this point they're all good with 100% coverage. More a matter of taste, weather and what your want to do after skiing.

Is there any appreciable difference in the two areas (Tremblant and Le Massif) regarding when they open up closed terrain? Is one area more lenient than the other about when they drop ropes? Are they strict about not skiing closed terrain?

We all want to get into the trees. I'm not counting on powder but assuming a freeze thaw or two between now and the 20th. I'm assuming we will be at the mercy of ski patrol to tell us when the snow is soft enough to be skiable.

Any and all local input like yours is really appreciated.

fbrissette

Both Le Massif and Tremblant have steep-stuff oriented to the south so if there is a freeze thaw, you'll be able to chase the slopes with proper orientation.

I haven't skied both resorts in the past five years but Le Massif used to be pretty relaxed about just anything. There is nothing to do at Le Massif after skiing unless you stay in Quebec city which is an hour away. With respect to crowds, midweek should be ok at Tremblant and you'll be alone at Le Massif. Le Massif often closes early with nearly 100% coverage due to lack of skiers.

If you've never been to the Massif, I suggest you go there. The view is unique. You would have to go to Alyeska AK for a nice view on water like that. Tremblant is always alive if this is your thing.

Mid-week, there will be no problem with reservations. If I were you I would wait last minute. Climate can be quite different between Tremblant and Le Massif. You can have snow at one place and rain at the other. Wait last minute, check the weather and decide.

JimG.

Staff member
Both Le Massif and Tremblant have steep-stuff oriented to the south so if there is a freeze thaw, you'll be able to chase the slopes with proper orientation.

I haven't skied both resorts in the past five years but Le Massif used to be pretty relaxed about just anything. There is nothing to do at Le Massif after skiing unless you stay in Quebec city which is an hour away. With respect to crowds, midweek should be ok at Tremblant and you'll be alone at Le Massif. Le Massif often closes early with nearly 100% coverage due to lack of skiers.

If you've never been to the Massif, I suggest you go there. The view is unique. You would have to go to Alyeska AK for a nice view on water like that. Tremblant is always alive if this is your thing.

Mid-week, there will be no problem with reservations. If I were you I would wait last minute. Climate can be quite different between Tremblant and Le Massif. You can have snow at one place and rain at the other. Wait last minute, check the weather and decide.

Exactly my thinking. We are leaning heavily towards Le Massif. Planning to stay at MSA since it is only 30 minutes from Le Massif and both mountains are on the same pass.

But I am waiting and watching the weather; plenty of lodging options available.

Thanks!

BenedictGomez

As someone who watches the storms roll through and tries to amateurishly predict a bit where the good (and bad) stuff may be, Mont Tremblant has had a Clydesdale-sized horseshoe shoved up its' *** for a while now. They've got hit with several snowstorms where it was mere miles from pouring rain. They've got hit with snow where the orientation was diagonally such that they just got clipped instead of missed. And most importantly, they missed the worst of the worst stuff by a mere 10 to 50 miles more times than I can recall. I imagine the spring skiing there will be an eastern anomaly in that it linkely wont stink.

JimG.

Staff member
Booked for ski-in/ski-out chalet at MSA; going with 2 of my sons. Arriving 3/20, skiing 3/21-3/24.

Got 4 day St Lawrence Summits tix for MSA/Le Massif/Stoneham. Forecast for 3/21 is for snow showers. Everything 100% open.

I have not been this stoked all season!

granite

Booked for ski-in/ski-out chalet at MSA; going with 2 of my sons. Arriving 3/20, skiing 3/21-3/24.

Got 4 day St Lawrence Summits tix for MSA/Le Massif/Stoneham. Forecast for 3/21 is for snow showers. Everything 100% open.

I don't think you can go wrong with this choice. Le Massif is an easy drive from MSA, you'll love it up there; it's really unique. If you have time spend a day in Quebec City-Old Town-Upper and Lower too. Please send reports with pics.

granite

If you do get to Quebec City I recommend this restaurant called Aux Anciens Canadiens. Have either their Grand Ma's or Grand Father's treat for a real Quebecois meal.

http://www.auxancienscanadiens.qc.ca/

I might have to come up and crash your trip!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_9917.JPG
    IMG_9917.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 72

JimG.

Staff member
I might have to come up and crash your trip!!!!

The more the merrier; wish my middle son could come too but he has midterms next week. My wife is allowing a boys only trip.

Maybe its the stoke factor that's already totally off the charts but I think I might have a bunch of good pics from this trip. Maybe I'll finally have to learn how to post the damn things.

gladerider

Sounds sweet. I gotta try them tix myself one day.