• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Senate Passes Ski Area Bailout

benski

That would probably be considered a VT ski area bailout. Also a cookie makers subsidy, a grant to the manufacturers of Mountain Dew, a financial transfer to the makers of Doritos, and an outright handout to both Ben and Jerry.

I don't see how skiing and weeds are complements. Maybe you could argue weed could draw more people to VT to go skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
I read it as it will be a boost to VTs tourism and the additional taxes revenues could mitigate some of the lost revenue from a lousy ski season like this one.

I believe Colorado was on track to take in over $100M in tax revenue from marijuana.

VTKilarney

If this bill becomes law, the most annoying thing will be the New Hampshire state trooper permanently stationed at the border on I-93. I'm going to have to be real careful with my speed.

Abominable

Yeah, saw the headline and was making a joke, lame as it might be.

Although you'd figure, if all other things were equal, it might sway a few people to choose VT over the Dacks for a weekend trip.

BenedictGomez

I believe Colorado was on track to take in over $100M in tax revenue from marijuana.

They already have. Problem is, they haven't hit the rosy & explosive financial predictions some expected, and it does come with a cost. Typical government, set the bar sky high to get something passed, then set the bar low once it's passed, then claim you "exceed expectations" with the actual figures. And once other states legalize, the CO tax figures and economic benefit will surely decline, because it's estimated that a lot of the money is actually coming from.........believe it or not........ "marijuana tourism".

deadheadskier

Staff member
They already have. Problem is, they haven't hit the rosy & explosive financial predictions some expected, and it does come with a cost. And once other states legalize, the CO tax figures and economic benefit will surely decline, because it's estimated that a lot of the money is actually coming from.........believe it or not........ "marijuana tourism".

I'm sure tax revenues will go down some when other states legalize, but not as much as you might think. I see as time marches on and MJ becomes near as socially acceptable as drinking, use rates will go up. Far more benefits from MJ than alcohol. Much safer as well. So the mj industry will steal a lot of business from alcohol. Probably from big pharmaceutical too.

BenedictGomez

I'm sure tax revenues will go down some when other states legalize, but not as much as you might think. I see as time marches on and MJ becomes near as socially acceptable as drinking, use rates will go up.

How much can user rates go up? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know many people dying to smoke marijuana who don't simply because it's not legal. It's already about the simplest "illegal" thing to find.

Plus, once we dramatically increase supply, the price of marijuana will go down (rejoice Scotty!), and perhaps by quite a bit.

deadheadskier

Staff member
How much can user rates go up? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know many people dying to smoke marijuana who don't simply because it's not legal. It's already about the simplest "illegal" thing to find.

Plus, once we dramatically increase supply, the price of marijuana will go down (rejoice Scotty!), and perhaps by quite a bit.

Prices have not gone down in Colorado from what I've heard.

There are still massive amounts of people, especially outside the Northeast that view marijuana the same way they view cocaine. I was shocked to find this out when I moved to Ohio. Those same people drink a ton of booze. These same people are unaware of edible options to avoid the harms of smoking. Once more states legalize and the "reefer madness" propaganda wears off, I bet there will be double the population of users as there is today.