• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best West Coast conditions (February 2016)?

BenedictGomez

Looks like Utah is the winner, based largely on the probability of finding good snow conditions existing in late'ish March. Thanks to folks for all the suggestions/info.

dlague

Use Flightline.Free parking.I use the one off 93 in Londonderry.About $46 round trip.

We thought about that but they wanted that for each passenger - since there were three of us going parking at the airport ($36 more cost) was worth it. We were able to get out of Boston real fast and since we arrived at 1 am we were able to haul ass home! No traffic at that time in the AM.

VTKilarney

I use Preflight Airport Parking near Logan. I find their shuttles to be BY FAR the most frequent. They drop you off right at your car, which is nice. If you pre-pay online you get the best rates.

Coming from Vermont, we also use the Logan Express bus in Salem. But their schedule doesn't always work. When I come back from Europe I don't want to wait an hour and a half for a bus.

snoseek

Hype is full on for a big couple weeks starting this weekend. I would imagine utah will be getting in on some of this also

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

dmw

Regarding Logan parking - look up Logan Economy Lot. 20/day, tops out at 120/week. Frequent shuttle, airport run, it's always worked for me. I've used it about 5 times in the past year.

dlague

I use Preflight Airport Parking near Logan. I find their shuttles to be BY FAR the most frequent. They drop you off right at your car, which is nice. If you pre-pay online you get the best rates.

Coming from Vermont, we also use the Logan Express bus in Salem. But their schedule doesn't always work. When I come back from Europe I don't want to wait an hour and a half for a bus.

We thought about that but our flight was super early leaving and super late returning.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

4aprice

Looks like Utah is the winner, based largely on the probability of finding good snow conditions existing in late'ish March. Thanks to folks for all the suggestions/info.

Go look at the maps JB posted on his twitter feed. Big storm cycle about to hit the west. 20" of precip equaling approx 200" of snow for the Sierra (get the snorkle out snoseek). Utah and Colorado in the cross hairs as well. Going to be an active spring and a great time to go west. Can't wait to get your reaction to Utah skiing.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snoseek

Go look at the maps JB posted on his twitter feed. Big storm cycle about to hit the west. 20" of precip equaling approx 200" of snow for the Sierra (get the snorkle out snoseek). Utah and Colorado in the cross hairs as well. Going to be an active spring and a great time to go west. Can't wait to get your reaction to Utah skiing.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I'll happily take half of that please. The commute is about to get real.

soposkier

That is a good way to park though.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I've had good luck with preflight all times of day. Never had to wait for more than five minutes at the terminal.

BenedictGomez

I'd be psyched if that pans out. Waiting on buying airfare, but I might pull the trigger soon. Would buy now at ~$560 RT, but Kayak's algo claims the price will likely drop over the next week. I've never followed their algo to buy tix before, so we'll see if it works out or if I get burned.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just saw this post and am heading back to SLC as I type. As said, our faucet was shut off earlier this month, but now it will be turned back on. Looks like we get the fire hose pointed at us again starting this weekend. Tahoe is forecast to get a lot. So is the PNW.

Skiing in Tahoe has been a bit better than Utah from what I have reading and seeing. They have gotten a bit more. But we are getting ours now again....buckle up.

steamboat1

To early for me to be planning a trip west. If the east gets washed out by the end of this month then it will be time & then only if they have favorable conditions/forecasts. Only once did I ski out west before April, been there many times.

Abominable

Well I just did something rather impulsive. Wife got called to a meeting in SLC end of next week. Looked around, looked doable, have some vacation days to burn and pulled the trigger. Skiing Fri 3/11 - Fri 3/18. Took a bit of pain on flight, but since hers is paid for by work figured what the hell. Have plenty of hotel points to burn so that should ease the pain.

Never been to SLC!

Thinking of starting in Ogden, Pow Mow and Snowbasin for the first weekend. Then head down to the city (Midvale / Sandy?) midweek, for some time in the Canyons.

Who's got the best St. Patrick's Party?

Trailboss and anyone else, would love to meet up for some runs if possible. I've been skiing (snowboarding) my whole life, basically only limited by strength and stamina (and b@lls) as I reach middle age. Wife is fairly new to the sport but will love groomers in the sun. So hopefully I'll be able to peel away from time to time to shred the gnar.

Stoked!

Jcb890

Please know that I am living vicariously through all of you who are traveling out West. I'm sitting at my desk thinking I would really like to take some time off and go snowboarding...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well I just did something rather impulsive. Wife got called to a meeting in SLC end of next week. Looked around, looked doable, have some vacation days to burn and pulled the trigger. Skiing Fri 3/11 - Fri 3/18. Took a bit of pain on flight, but since hers is paid for by work figured what the hell. Have plenty of hotel points to burn so that should ease the pain.

Never been to SLC!

Thinking of starting in Ogden, Pow Mow and Snowbasin for the first weekend. Then head down to the city (Midvale / Sandy?) midweek, for some time in the Canyons.

Who's got the best St. Patrick's Party?

Trailboss and anyone else, would love to meet up for some runs if possible. I've been skiing (snowboarding) my whole life, basically only limited by strength and stamina (and b@lls) as I reach middle age. Wife is fairly new to the sport but will love groomers in the sun. So hopefully I'll be able to peel away from time to time to shred the gnar.

Stoked!

Nice! As to terrain it depends on what you like to ski/ride.

Abominable

Nice! As to terrain it depends on what you like to ski/ride.

Got seven days to play with, hope to see it all!

Thinking 3 or 4 days at some combo of Pow Mow and Snowbasin. I have some impression that, for weekend skiing, these might be better than the canyons? Wife has a bunch of Marriott points so Marriott Ogden seems like the cheap option for us.

Then down to the city proper, and will try to hit at least Brighton or Solitude and I think Snowbird is a must.

This is first trip to SLC; from what I've read the Park City resorts are skippable, if you have to skip one "group."

We're going to try to stay flexible based on snow, etc. Might want a mid-week day off, see some sights in the city (definitely don't have my ski legs this year).

Look forward to any input you have.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Got seven days to play with, hope to see it all!

Thinking 3 or 4 days at some combo of Pow Mow and Snowbasin. I have some impression that, for weekend skiing, these might be better than the canyons? Wife has a bunch of Marriott points so Marriott Ogden seems like the cheap option for us.

Then down to the city proper, and will try to hit at least Brighton or Solitude and I think Snowbird is a must.

This is first trip to SLC; from what I've read the Park City resorts are skippable, if you have to skip one "group."

We're going to try to stay flexible based on snow, etc. Might want a mid-week day off, see some sights in the city (definitely don't have my ski legs this year).

Look forward to any input you have.

Not sure what you mean by "the canyons"--are you saying Little Cottonwood and Big Cottonwood Canyons resorts or the resort formerly known as The Canyons?

You will also want to go where the best conditions are and Pow Mow and Snowbasin may not be those places.

Your plan is ambitious. Snowbasin and Pow Mow are neat resorts, but Ogden is a hole as you will see.

Still don't have a sense as to what kind of terrain you prefer to ski/ride. That helps me narrow it down.