• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Copper Mountain CO 2/10-2/12

roark

Well since I'm stuck in DC (flight cancelled tonight) I'll start the report:

Date: Saturday 2/10
Conditions: MG PP

I was very fortunate to hook up with my wife's great uncle & aunt, members of the "Over-the-Hill Gang".
P2100165.JPG

One of the key benefits was being able to use the ski school line all day :razz:

Some quick warm ups on some groomers, then we headed up the Timberline chair. Some bumps - "Little Burn"
P2100157.JPG

While the locals didn't feel the snow was great I didn't find much ice and powder could be found if you were adventerous. We headed up the S-chair to Retreat and Gold Digger. Some nice soft conditions up top (at least compared to what I'm used to ;) )
P2100164.JPG

The concensus was the ROTD was Hallelujah
P2100166.JPG

Some nice bumps could be found under the A-chair as well
P2100172.JPG

More later: I'm being accused (and rightly so) of being anti-social

ChileMass

Roark!!

Bummer you're stuck in DC, but glad you had fun at Copper. I love that hill. When I need to go to my "happy place" it's often skiing down Retreat and Golddigger off the S lift. Did you go thru the gate way out there to the left? There is fabulous meadow skiing off the hill out there. R li ft also rules - was there any snow on Kaboom? Any snow in the back bowls?

Those bumps under A lift (Triple Treat) kicked my ass one day - we stupidly waited until the last run of the day to do it and it almost killed me. That's one long run.

Show me pictures of Rosi's Run..........my favorite single trail in North America.......

Where did you stay? Did you get to Dillon or Breckenridge? Did you ski anywhere other than Copper? Not that you needed to this trip, but A-Basin is a must do someday if you missed it.

I am stuck in CA on business. I'm almost in the shadow of the Oakland Coliseum - send me relief............;)

OB/CM

Last edited:

koreshot

Nice... never been there, but looks like some fun terrain. Too bad you didn't get a whole lot of fresh tracks (at least judging by the pictures posted so far), but the terrain looks really good... bet you had some serious bumps practice.

roark

Did you go thru the gate way out there to the left? There is fabulous meadow skiing off the hill out there. R li ft also rules - was there any snow on Kaboom? Any snow in the back bowls?

Pics later... or you could go check out my user gallery ;-)

Those bumps under A lift (Triple Treat) kicked my ass one day - we stupidly waited until the last run of the day to do it and it almost killed me. That's one long run.

Yup, just about did me in as well.

Show me pictures of Rosi's Run..........my favorite single trail in North America.......

I didn't get any... when I hit it was mostly skied off. :-?

Where did you stay? Did you get to Dillon or Breckenridge? Did you ski anywhere other than Copper? Not that you needed to this trip, but A-Basin is a must do someday if you missed it.

The wife has family with a condo in Dillon. I skied only Copper for a couple reasons: employee discounted tix, and visibilty was poor early on most days. I wanted to hit "the Legend", but every morning was socked in. Next time...

I'm @ home on dial-up, will try to get the rest of the report up later.

Last edited:

roark

Glad you had fun. I thought your travel plans may have been a bit shaky.
We almost had it timed perfectly. I couldn't believe it when we got to Baltimore and they had canceled all the outgoing flights... for a 1/2 inch of slush. :uzi:
We ended up taking the train yesterday, got in late last night. Exhausted today. Hopefully my gear makes it to BDL today. :roll:

ChileMass

Roark -

Went to your gallery to check out the photos. Gotta love those pics of Union Bowl and Union Meadows. I have spent some quality time on both. The pictures from S lift bring back seriously good memories. Glad you had fun. Looks like you had a lot of snow, too.........

roark

Sunday 2/11

Spent most of the day solo. I was told not to ski the glades alone. Oh well. Union Meadows was the place to be. No significant snowfall in a week plus, but I still managed to get knee deep a few times!

P2110189.JPG

P2110187.JPG

P2110185.JPG

roark

Monday 2/12 - Powder day!

Reports were 3" at Copper. But there was quite a bit more up top!

Wife excited to go skiing... priceless.
P2120195.JPG

Somebody else got first tracks, but there was still plenty left
P2120215.JPG

Union bowl
P2120209.JPG

Headed up to the top of Union with my great uncle in law CK, age 78. We were waiting for the sun to come back out, shooting the sh!t with some guys up top who were gasping for air.
P2120216.JPG

The sun came out and CK immediately cut the convesation short: see you at the bottom!
P2120217.JPG

Snow depth 1/2 way down:
P2120219.JPG

CK was done around 3, but it was my last day and I was going to use every minute.
S Chair, getting tracked out:
P2120220.JPG

Gold digger? I forget
P2120229.JPG

roark

Trees off Timberline:
P2120231.JPG

P2120236.JPG

P2120232.JPG

P2120235.JPG

P2120234.JPG

Ended the day with the sun coming out, storm blowing over Sky chutes: