• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Peak Pass, what we have all been waiting for.

elks

I'm going through the purchase, but I have to select a home mountain to pick it up at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, your home hill determines the sales tax on your purchase. No sales tax for NH resorts. ;-)

drjeff

I think that had to do more with massive debt at high interest rates than cheap passes. Peak has a lot of debt too from what I've heard but have more favorable terms.

Trying to compare what ASC did with taking on debt via the combo of massive big ticket property expansion and massive property development and added debt from all the building they did and what Peak is doing with what has been essentially been small to mid sized resort acquisition and as of now no property development is an apples to oranges thing, not an apples to apples

Shredder of Gnar

I guess I'm the only unhappy person here. Living 20 minutes from Crotched, I do 95%+ of my skiing there. So my season's pass to ski there just increased from $439 to $499 after the crappiest year in memory. Mt Snow is the 2nd closest area to me, and it's almost a 2 hour drive, Attitash and Wildcat are 3 hrs. Crotched is much more of a locals mountain than any of the other areas and it should have a $399 pass for locals. I get that this is a great deal for most, and I'm in the minority here. Just saying.......

I'm screwed too by this, but also happy that others find it useful. My Hunter midweek goes from 229->299 and no more Big Lift card for an occasional weekend day...

steamboat1

Trying to compare what ASC did with taking on debt via the combo of massive big ticket property expansion and massive property development and added debt from all the building they did and what Peak is doing with what has been essentially been small to mid sized resort acquisition and as of now no property development is an apples to oranges thing, not an apples to apples

Could've fooled me with their stock price. It's less than 1/2 of the original offering price. If not for the dividend it would be worse. Doesn't look like the markets have much confidence in them.

x10003q

They want to drive season pass sales. I can't blame them.

I would be surprised if they drive many discount card buyers to a season pass. Most discount card users can't get to the mountain enough to make a season pass work. For me, it is 2-6 hunter day trips per season that fit around my weekends when I don't go to Gore/WF or VT or maybe a spur of the moment midweek trip. It gives you great flexibility, yet it doesn't cost you if you only use it a couple of times and it takes no planning like liftopia.

VTKilarney

I would be surprised if they drive many discount card buyers to a season pass.
They want those people to change their behavior. Instead of skiing at several non-Peak resorts during the year, they want you to stick to their portfolio. That means a whole lot more ancillary revenue during the course of the year, such as in food and beverage. And if you aren't loyal, expect to pay through the nose for a day ticket. They want to make it very unappealing to ski anywhere else. Loyalty cards don't capture you like a season pass does.

gmcunni

wonder if this affects other discount programs. i've taken advantage of the mount snow standing group rate offered to clubs for several years. on the fence about a season pass, could split day trips between hunter and mt snow, hope for some weekends @ MS. but the crowds this deal will bring . . .

drjeff

$186 mil. for a parking lot wasn't bad either.

I've read a lot of people aren't happy with the new sheriff in town.

Apparently resort visits (combining both what PCMR and The Canyons did separately) are up about 20% over last year.

Whether last year's relatively poor Western Snow year kept people away and they're going this year, or the Epic Pass Masses are checking it out, who knows??

I'm sure the local businesses in PC, and the greater SLC area don't mind more people in the area.

I know that PC was the most crowded I've ever seen it when I was out there with my family mid January - then again it was the 1st time we'd ever been out there during the Sundance Film Festival, so that surely played into the in town crowds we experience, even though it wasn't very busy on the mountains

Vail Resorts from what I've seen is either a company one loves or hates, they tend to be that polarizing of an owner

JimG.

Staff member
If your resort sold passes at these prices, not many Express Cards would be sold.

Actually I will still buy the Express Pass at K even with 2 other season passes. It's also a great deal. And you never know where the snow will fall; having passes to far flung areas makes a lot of sense the way I think.

MEtoVTSkier

Actually I will still buy the Express Pass at K even with 2 other season passes. It's also a great deal. And you never know where the snow will fall; having passes to far flung areas makes a lot of sense the way I think.

If they continue to give free Express cards to Military/Veterans, there's still gonna be quite a few out there.

xwhaler

Very minor detail as this pass is very appealing but I wonder why here is no incentive to give them all the $ up front vs just get on the $99 payment plan? (interest free)

Am I missing something?

SnowRock

They want those people to change their behavior. Instead of skiing at several non-Peak resorts during the year, they want you to stick to their portfolio. That means a whole lot more ancillary revenue during the course of the year, such as in food and beverage. And if you aren't loyal, expect to pay through the nose for a day ticket. They want to make it very unappealing to ski anywhere else. Loyalty cards don't capture you like a season pass does.
Yes they want to lock you into their ecosystem and its certainly a great deal if you are already committed to one of their holdings but I tend to agree with x10003q.... Not going to capture me as a former multi-year Big Lift card holder. Just don't get enough days at any one place or in general on the snow to want to be tethered to a group like that.

Camelback stopped their Camelcard this year and that pushed me to Hunter for my day trips this season using the Big Lift Card... despite it being a longer drive. I did the Mt collective and got good value out of that with my Stowe trips and a trip to Jackson. Would be gravy if they added another EC mt this year, say Sugarbush.

I'm a 20ish days out a year guy so really like loyalty and discount cards for their flexibility of use. Good trend overall though and happy for those it helps.

Does anyone have Plum Benefits through work? Also a good options for discounts.. though some better than others. Mt Snow tickets have always been some of the best.... Wonder if Hunter's will get better now that they are in the Peak family.

Edd

Very minor detail as this pass is very appealing but I wonder why here is no incentive to give them all the $ up front vs just get on the $99 payment plan? (interest free)

Am I missing something?

I've seen interest-free payment plans on passes before. It was either Peak or Boyne; can't recall.

xwhaler

I've seen interest-free payment plans on passes before. It was either Peak or Boyne; can't recall.

I have as well. I guess I was asking what incentive (if any) do I have to not do the payment plan and instead give them the full nut up front?

Edd

I have as well. I guess I was asking what incentive (if any) do I have to not do the payment plan and instead give them the full nut up front?

Reading the website, I see no incentive to pay up front.

machski

Non, it is a benefit to you only if you don't want to give up the whole nut now. Boyne does this every year, though I think in the New England Pass case, you have to give up the whole nut now to ski/ride the rest of this season with next year's pass. Peaks seems to let you do either and ski this season, which could be just for this year given the season we've had.

xwhaler

Reading the website, I see no incentive to pay up front.

Thanks for confirming, that's what I thought---a tad surprising since it seems they always want to get as much as they can as early as possible. Membership into the Mug Club on the house would likely be enough for me to just hand it over.