• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MAX Pass 2016-2017

Bostonian

Hmmm... so 5 days at each resort, but no blackout period.

I still don't know if it beats the Peaks Pass, especially being able to ski now and limited or no blackout dates depending on the pass you get.

Do a ranger pass + a local hill (Wachusett Bronze or Gunstock regular for example) and you still come out ahead.

KustyTheKlown

If you intend to ski out west at all this puts peaks pass to shame. And peaks pass mountains are kind of shit except for wildcat. I was really hoping they would add something good in noVT (sugarbush, jay, whatever) and said so in their very lengthy customer survey. Probably will still buy it again and maybe augment with a mountain collective

xlr8r

A couple of key changes from this year for me.

For people in eastern Mass, adding Wachusett is a huge plus for a few quick day trips or night sessions. The biggest negative I have with this years MAX pass is that the only place I can day trip is Loon, even that is 4+ hours roundtrip. I am a former bronze pass holder, and Wachusett was one of the places I requested to be added in their survey.

Also, the addition of Solitude makes Utah a much more viable western trip option to pair it up with Brighton next door. Interesting though that Deer Valley is not included as Solitude is owned by Deer Valley. And I would think Deer Valley is facing tougher competition this year from Vail with the new combined Park city.

Steamboat is still the prime western destination though on the pass as a 5 day lift ticket to Steamboat costs more than the MAX pass itself.

KustyTheKlown

I really made it work for me this year. I could substitute steamboat for big sky and copper/winter park for bachelor, and go back to Utah for Brighton/solitude. It's the eastern options which annoy me. I pretty much hate killington and Stratton except for early/late season at K. Sunday River and Loaf are pretty damn far. I really wish they added something better in noVt, I would be all over this if they incorporated Jay or sugarbush. Still will probably get it. The value is obvious.

Bostonian

If you intend to ski out west at all this puts peaks pass to shame. And peaks pass mountains are kind of shit except for wildcat. I was really hoping they would add something good in noVT (sugarbush, jay, whatever) and said so in their very lengthy customer survey. Probably will still buy it again and maybe augment with a mountain collective

True, but I don't see myself going out west next year.. So for those of us who are staying close to home the upcoming season - I think Mt. Snow, Attitash, Wildcat and Crotched (unlimited or limited blackout dates) do outweigh the 5 days max at Loon, Stratton, Pico, Killington, Sugarloaf and Sunday River.

But as you said with the western resorts, then yeah this does make a huge difference.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you've got the coin to drop on hotel rooms or are heading west, Maxx definitely is the way to go. My primary issue with it as a weekend warrior is I'm not a huge fan of anything in the East except for Sugarloaf and Pico when they have snow. Killington, Loon and Stratton I have no interest skiing weekends midwinter.

If I planned on a Western trip I would be all over this though.

Last edited:

yeggous

I could see getting the add-on with the Wachusett silver. This would be my second choice after the Peaks Pass. Hell, I'm still thinking about that option if I double it up with my Valley Pass. Really, really thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

For me this just became a no brainer. The addition of Solitude is the kicker. We tend to ski BCC more then LCC as wife is really not a SB fan. The boy is going to be in Denver so Copper and Winter Park will take care of any trip there. (Maybe Steamboat if I decide to drive from Denver to Salt Lake). K, Pico, Stratton, Loon maybe even a trip to Sunday River to see an old friend. Only wish it could be an add on to the Camelback Pass to save more.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

elks

The addition of Wachusett makes this more appealing as I look for as many mountains under 2 hours in a season pass. The Peaks Pass still works better for me mainly because we're probably going to get 4-7 days on it this spring and it's cheaper for kids. If I knew for sure that we were going to go out West next season, I think this pass would make a lot more sense.

yeggous

The addition of Wachusett may have just swayed me here. Argh!

I'm doing the math and weighing the options.

Wachusett and Crotched as just about an even trade for me. I like Crotched more, but Wachusett is a bit closer. Wachusett is a bit more crowded, open a bit later on weeknights, now offers skiing until midnight, etc. We'll call it a wash.

I trade off Attitash and Wildcat for Loon and Sunday River when I am in North Conway. The addition of the other mountains saves me the cash on the Ski VT packs. I might just do this.

4aprice

A couple of key changes from this year for me.

For people in eastern Mass, adding Wachusett is a huge plus for a few quick day trips or night sessions. The biggest negative I have with this years MAX pass is that the only place I can day trip is Loon, even that is 4+ hours roundtrip. I am a former bronze pass holder, and Wachusett was one of the places I requested to be added in their survey.

Also, the addition of Solitude makes Utah a much more viable western trip option to pair it up with Brighton next door. Interesting though that Deer Valley is not included as Solitude is owned by Deer Valley. And I would think Deer Valley is facing tougher competition this year from Vail with the new combined Park city.

Steamboat is still the prime western destination though on the pass as a 5 day lift ticket to Steamboat costs more than the MAX pass itself.

Fill me in on this. You in essence, voted to get Wachusett added? I thought this was a corp thing with Boyne & Powdr (Sp?). Are you saying, they taking suggestions on who to add? I know a Pocono resort that I would love to see added to it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

KustyTheKlown

Fill me in on this. You in essence, voted to get Wachusett added? I thought this was a corp thing with Boyne & Powdr (Sp?). Are you saying, they taking suggestions on who to add? I know a Pocono resort that I would love to see added to it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

they sent a link to a survey to 2015-2016 passholders. it was really long and really detailed and left room for free form answers and it seemed they really wanted the customer feedback, especially on where they should add. i said another option in utah (because who skis 5 straight at brighton when so much is so close), another option in tahoe (because who the hell travels for borreal), and something more challenging in northern vt/ny that's easier for the new york market to get to than sugarloaf (because killington/stratton/pico just dont cut it). i suggested sugarbush, smuggs, jay, whiteface, and cannon specifically, knowing that they are either state or independently owned and dont fall on any other corporate pass. is wachusett a boyne/powdr/intrawest property, or did they just bring it into the pass? i think the latter.

1Kathleen

they sent a link to a survey to 2015-2016 passholders. it was really long and really detailed and left room for free form answers and it seemed they really wanted the customer feedback, especially on where they should add. i said another option in utah (because who skis 5 straight at brighton when so much is so close), another option in tahoe (because who the hell travels for borreal), and something more challenging in northern vt/ny that's easier for the new york market to get to than sugarloaf (because killington/stratton/pico just dont cut it). i suggested sugarbush, smuggs, jay, whiteface, and cannon specifically, knowing that they are either state or independently owned and dont fall on any other corporate pass. is wachusett a boyne/powdr/intrawest property, or did they just bring it into the pass? i think the latter.
I put similar stuff in my survey, but focused on NH and UT. I also asked for them to partner with a hotel at each resort to add some lodging discounts to make the travel more attractive. For me, the pass has great value, even better for the teen pass, even if I have to buy some local vouchers. Excited it's back!

4aprice

From my own selfish perspective I would love to see them add Camelback. See I think adding Wachusett is smart cause your now driving them (ie a nice chunck of the Boston market) toward certain areas. Add CBK to that and you tap into the NY and Philly markets. Comes with a nice hotel and waterpark. Peak's has Frost and Boulder.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

yeggous

From my own selfish perspective I would love to see them add Camelback. See I think adding Wachusett is smart cause your now driving them (ie a nice chunck of the Boston market) toward certain areas. Add CBK to that and you tap into the NY and Philly markets. Comes with a nice hotel and waterpark. Peak's has Frost and Boulder.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yeah, Wachusett is really smart. You can pick up their Silver Pass plus Max for $630. Smart move.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..

Come ski Hunter and it will change your mind.

Jully

is wachusett a boyne/powdr/intrawest property, or did they just bring it into the pass? i think the latter.

Wachusett is still a family leased and operated mountain believe it or not! The state owns the actual land. Crowleys are very nice people and present on the mountain a lot of the time (or at least they used to be in 2005 the last time I went there).

Definitely a great move to put it on there. I'd still love to see one more east coast option to make it hands down the best pass in the area. Agreed that K, Pico, Stratton, and Loon just don't do it beyond SL and SR. Something in northern VT would be great. Heck, even adding Bretton Woods to the pass I think would make it even more attractive. Cannon would make it unbelievable.