• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MAX Pass 2016-2017

skinavy

We've used our MaxPass at Kilington and Stratton where we could just go right to the lift. What's the procedure at the other places?

maxpass website tells you what to do at each resort. Most places you need to go to the window & get a pass

skinavy

I do not know about smallish maybe not as much notoriety but ....

Kicking Horse is quite large. So isn't Fergie. Kimberly is no slouch. Adding in Nakiska makes for a decent BC trip.

Even Crystal, Steven's Pass and the Summit combined seems appealing.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

true. I hadn't looked at the BC places.

Jcb890

Kicking Horse is quite large. So isn't Fergie. Kimberly is no slouch. Adding in Nakiska makes for a decent BC trip.

I am now looking at pricing on trips out West for the end of February (March most likely not an option for traveling)... I think I have a problem. Save me from myself (and my wife!).

For a long-weekend type of trip, Mount Bachelor is coming up with some pretty good pricing. Brighton/Solitude isn't too far behind right now either.

I still need to check into the BC options, but its longer for travel, so tough for a long weekend. Also, I don't think they've had a great winter for snow so far looking at reports for Kicking Horse and Nakiska.

Right now the list is (most expensive to least, flight+car+lodging):

Big Sky, Montana
Steamboat, Colorado
Kicking Horse, BC, Canada
Brighton / Solitude, Utah
Mount Bachelor, Oregon

Edit/Update:

Lodging in Golden, BC to ride at Kicking Horse is very limited and expensive in late Feb. When I had looked a few months back it was much more prevalent and cheaper... maybe that is a popular time to head up that way?

Last edited:

dlague

I am now looking at pricing on trips out West for the end of February (March most likely not an option for traveling)... I think I have a problem. Save me from myself (and my wife!).

For a long-weekend type of trip, Mount Bachelor is coming up with some pretty good pricing. Brighton/Solitude isn't too far behind right now either.

I still need to check into the BC options, but its longer for travel, so tough for a long weekend. Also, I don't think they've had a great winter for snow so far looking at reports for Kicking Horse and Nakiska.

Big Sky, Montana
Steamboat, Colorado
Mount Bachelor, Oregon

Edit/Update:

Lodging in Golden, BC to ride at Kicking Horse is very limited and expensive in late Feb. When I had looked a few months back it was much more prevalent and cheaper... maybe that is a popular time to head up that way?
You caught the bug! Our first trip and experience was Banff ski resorts and loved it. Then we skied Colorado and loved it even more. I am not sure which is better skiing back east with occasional trip that make it seem so much better or living out here and having all the time. I am beginning to understand why son here complain about conditions that are firm when folks back east would think conditions are still pretty good. They take the great days for granted.

We had that experience last year at Keystone. Locals called it icy, we called firm, fast and very carvable.

Get it while you can!

Jcb890

Big Sky, Montana
Steamboat, Colorado
Mount Bachelor, Oregon

Edit/Update:

EDIT/Update #2:
I'm an idiot and had my search criteria incorrect when looking in Golden, BC at lodging options.
Updated list from highest to lowest cost:

Big Sky, Montana
Steamboat, Colorado
Mount Bachelor, Oregon
Crystal / Stevens Pass, Washington

Some other notes/factors:
- Steamboat is closest lodging to the mountain with the others between 15-30 minutes away from the mountain, except Washington.
- Utah (45 min) is the closest from the airport to lodging with Big Sky #2 (1 hr).
- Colorado and Utah have the easiest flights to/from as far as times they leave, flight time, number of stops, etc.
- Colorado, Utah, Oregon and Seattle have flights coming home leaving at night (red eye), so I could ride that last day.
- Montana & Calgary would need to depart earlier in the day, not allowing that extra day or 1/2 day of riding.

You caught the bug! Our first trip and experience was Banff ski resorts and loved it. Then we skied Colorado and loved it even more. I am not sure which is better skiing back east with occasional trip that make it seem so much better or living out here and having all the time. I am beginning to understand why son here complain about conditions that are firm when folks back east would think conditions are still pretty good. They take the great days for granted.

We had that experience last year at Keystone. Locals called it icy, we called firm, fast and very carvable.

Get it while you can!

I think I have caught the bug!
Don't kid yourself, getting that snow all season is the far better option (as long as everything else is equal of course).

Zermatt

Just a reminder (I'm sure you know) that prices in Canada are in CAD. Same symbol as ours, but obviously much cheaper than the USD.

Jcb890

Just a reminder (I'm sure you know) that prices in Canada are in CAD. Same symbol as ours, but obviously much cheaper than the USD.
:lol: :lol:
Thank you, but I am using sites which list things in USD like Expedia, Homeway, AirBnB, etc. I'm sure that does factor into Calgary being a cheap option though - that and their airport is a hub, so lots of flights and reasonable prices on them.

Krikaya

I know this is premature but I am trying to budget for next year's skiing. Does anyone know when Maxpass for 2017/2018 comes out? I got the peakpass for 16/17 and I've really enjoyed Mt. Snow as I haven't skied there in 30 years. I know Attitash and Wildcat well soPeak pass is getting boring. When I look at Maxpass my head spins. So many quality big mountain resorts in New England. I'm sure they're still working out the details for the 17/18 passes. Maybe late February?

Bill9994

Hey All. Great thread. I'm a new member and thank you for such great posts. I have the MAX pass and love it, saves me a ton of money. I had it last year and this year is even better. I have a trip to Winter Park and Utah already booked plus weekend trips to NH, VT and Canada. Day trips to mountain Creek only because it's free so I gotta use those 5 days!

Cheers,
Bill

1Kathleen

2016/2017 max pass sale date

I know this is premature but I am trying to budget for next year's skiing. Does anyone know when Maxpass for 2017/2018 comes out? I got the peakpass for 16/17 and I've really enjoyed Mt. Snow as I haven't skied there in 30 years. I know Attitash and Wildcat well soPeak pass is getting boring. When I look at Maxpass my head spins. So many quality big mountain resorts in New England. I'm sure they're still working out the details for the 17/18 passes. Maybe late February?

Last year the early purchase discounted prices ended May 31st. I don't this started promoting the pass until April. You only have to pay a small deposit. They charge your card the balance in September ( I believe).

Bill9994

Last year the early purchase discounted prices ended May 31st. I don't this started promoting the pass until April. You only have to pay a small deposit. They charge your card the balance in September ( I believe).

I got my email on March 11 last year. $49 down with the rest due in Sept.

JonD

I put a close to my first max pass season with Reggae Weekend at Sugarloaf. It's my first year having any sort of pass, and I'm definitely renewing(after a short debate with my friends about the Epic Pass following the Stowe deal). I skied 27 of my 32 days this year on the pass, breaking down to $22 and change per day. I "Max"ed out my days at Sugarloaf, Loon, and Sunday River. Did trips out west to Brighton/Solitude and Big Sky. The five days I rode not on the pass were a day each at Snowmass, Ajax, Snowbird, and the AZ Summit weekend at SL.

Ski days 2016-17
Loon 12/3
Aspen Mountain 12/7*
Aspen Snowmass 12/8*
Sunday River 12/29
Sunday River 12/30
Sunday River 12/31
Killington 1/7
Loon 1/16
Sunapee 1/18
Pico 1/27
Killington 1/28
Loon 2/5
Sugarloaf 2/10
Sugarloaf 2/11*
Sugarloaf 2/12*
Sugarloaf 2/13
Sunday River 2/19
Sunday River 2/20
Solitude 2/25
Brighton 2/26
Brighton 2/27
Snowbird 2/28*
Loon 3/5
Loon 3/15
Big Sky 3/24
Big Sky 3/25
Big Sky 3/26
Big Sky 3/27
Sunapee 4/1
Sugarloaf 4/7
Sugarloaf 4/8
Sugarloaf 4/9

*not max pass

27 days on the max pass
$22.22/day

18 days on Blizzard Brahma
14 days on Rossignol Soul 7

MadPadraic

Crystal was probably the highlight of my season both this year and last. That mountain has more terrifying terrain than anything else I've ever skied, and fresh snow lasts in their bowls quite a while because it's not a destination mountain. Fortunately, Seattle flights can be had cheap last minute so it can be timed.

Actually, that's generally a benefit of the max pass for people who have to reserve their vacation days in advance: you can basically pick a long weekend to go west and book a semi-last minute to wherever it is going to snow.

tekweezle

anybody buy the Max pass addon in season? Can you buy that at anytime? I don;t think the price increased from $329 but just want to be sure.

Jcb890

anybody buy the Max pass addon in season? Can you buy that at anytime? I don;t think the price increased from $329 but just want to be sure.
I spoke to MAX and the Add-On will go up, but not after tomorrow like the stand-alone MAX. You have longer to purchase the Add-On at $329 than the stand-alone at $629 (deadline tomorrow).