• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Colorado (A-basin, Vail, Beaver Creek and Loveland) 3/6-9

Smellytele

Just got back from CO. They hadn't had any real snow fall for about 3 weeks. We chose the right days to get out there. We waited no more than 3 chairs all 4 days. Most runs everyday were ski on even on the powder days!
First day at A-basin was still pretty good. The Zuma Cornice runs were not good though. 50's on Saturday led to frozen shit on Sunday. Palli was in great shape as was everything else.
Day 2 at Vail they got 10-12 inches throughout the day (only reported 3-4 for some reason). The beginning of the day the bowls were scratchy underneath and never skied all that well. Blue Sky Basin was incredible - snow up and over the knees. lover's leap skied well. Goods were found off of Pete's chair as well. The trees off the front skied well all day with fresh to be found all day.
Decided to ski the Beav on Tuesday as they were reporting 10 fresh and Keystone only 4. Made the right choice. While no bowl skiing they offered more than expected. Trees and bumps were the theme of the day with some great craving in the fresh. The birds of prey trail was ungroomed and I cannot for the life of me see how the hell that thing can be skied at full speed. The thing starts mellow for the first part then it gets insane with the first drop and crazy right turn! anyway had a great day.
our numbers dropped to 3 for our last day losing 4 to flight plans - that they should have changed because little did they know what Loveland held in store for the 3 hours we got in before our flight. The ridge skied like heaven. Snow was deposited over the ridge into the top of Loveland. Fresh lines off the #9 chair in the Superbowl were found for 4 runs. Nice bump runs were found skiers right of the #1 chair as well. Great morning and great way to finish up a great guys extended weekend getting back to Manchester at 11:45pm

powhunter

Nice! I was up around the same time! You hit vail on the right day! We were there on Friday, no pow but soft snow in the bowls and as you said blue sky basin was incredible even without the fresh!

dlague

Loveland - Like lift #9 - great views Superbowl was not skiing well when we were there (windblown) but Patrol Bowl and Headwall we goos everything off Chair 1 is great!

jimk

Been in UT since 3/4, heading home 3/14. Believe you saw better conditions in CO. Same lenghty sunny spell here. Rain/snow mix on Sunday made some of the highest terrain good. Going to Snowbird next three days. Some snow expected Monday, mabye one foot.

A few years ago I skied Birds of Prey race course in billiard table firm conditions (probably standard race day conditions?!?). Had to hang on for my life to prevent losing an edge and doing the slide of death.