• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Yellowstone Club/Big Sky: 3/15-3/20

Getting the opportunity of a lifetime to shred the Yellowstone Club and Big Sky --including a day with Scot Schmidt on the 17th--so I will be sure to post pics and reports here.

So stoked!

Last edited:

mikestaple

Challenger lift. That is all you need. Well. That and the chocolate fountains at the warming huts at Yellowstone Club. If you get multiple pow days try the moonlight side. It will be deserted. Even by Big Sky standards.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Challenger lift. That is all you need. Well. That and the chocolate fountains at the warming huts at Yellowstone Club. If you get multiple pow days try the moonlight side. It will be deserted. Even by Big Sky standards.

Challenger was actually broken down. They are replacing it at the end of the season with a quad I believe. Fantastic snow conditions!

I'll post the report soon.

Some pics:

Steins Chute at YC.
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1459223958.964201.jpg

Steins is arguably the best run on the mountain.It has a tight drop-in, lined with a 5-15 foot cornice depending where you start. Being the aggressive idiot I am, I just hit it straight off the lip and took a few rowdy turns once it widened a bit. Not a no fall fall zone but almost had a solid 800 vertical foot fall here as my speed almost threw me head over heels. Quite a few fun chimney chutes and cliff bands near the bottom.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1459223909.711656.jpg

The Ridge (Hourglass and Elevator shaft Chutes)

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1459223939.328746.jpg

This is a shot of the middle section of the Ridge. From left: Steins, Luke N-nator, Y Couloir, Corner Pocket, Pinnacles (entrance behind the outcropping). A massive cliff spans the rest of the ridge line, save for a fun stash known as Kaela's Brothers... which is a little more open than the other chutes. Getting to Kaela's is a haul and since many aren't willing to make the trek, good powder can be easily had there.

Luke's is the steepest, tightest and rockiest chute on the mountain. Not a lot of fun and very technical to get down. Corner pocket is a rowdy chute, tons of fun (very similar to Steins, perhaps a bit steeper). Pinnacles features twists and turns but is south facing and gets baked and chunky. Really would stick with Steins and Corner Pocket right now and wait for Luke's to buff out with more snow. Still all of these chutes were awesome skiing.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1459224010.716544.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1459224071.403980.jpg

Deep Powder on "Apron" with Scot Schmidt. Long traverse but the 15 or so powder turns were worth it. We got first tracks over here because the Avi danger from the huge cliffs leering above had closed the area for 3 days. Got lucky and caught the traverse 10 mins after patrol opened the gate and said the closed snowfields above the cliffs weren't going to slide.

Big Skree fields here so Scot recommended to stay where the trees were. Where there's trees, there is soil. Nothing worse than uncovering a football field of jagged rocks under thin cover. Very glad we had a guide here

My computer is all kinds of messed up so once it is fixed I'll be able to post everything!

Last edited:
Great view of the YC from the traverse below Dude Park heading toward the Shedhorn Lift
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1459224707.379099.jpg
Lenin, Marx and the Dictator Chutes from Shedhorn (Fantastic snow in Castro's which is on the far left)
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1459224759.016130.jpg
Loading onto the Headwaters double (Hike needed) We were not prepared to hike the headwaters so we traversed over as far as we could and skied the lower 3/4 of the Fire Hole chute. Very steep and intimidating terrain, but surfaces were an awesome chalky/ wind blown snow.
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1459224835.774338.jpg
In the Bowl, heading up to the Tram
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1459224923.824316.jpg
Scot and I above Corner Pocket at YC. He ended up dropping the 20 foot cliff band directly behind us. Wild stuff
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1459224963.429684.jpg

That's all I have for now! This trip ended up giving me an obscene goggle tan (actually more of a gnarly, peeling raccoon mug)and racked up almost 200k vertical feet in a 5.5 day span. Needless to say everything from my calves to my cheeks were done by weeks end. Far and away the most incredible trip I've ever had and the most insane skiing I've done! It's crazy the confidence soft snow can give you. I'm busy trying to get my GoPro videos uploaded so stay tuned.

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

Wait, Scott Schmidt as in blizzards of ahhhs scott Schmidt? Did you just happen to run into him at big sky/YC, or was he your ticket there in the first place?

Wait, Scott Schmidt as in blizzards of ahhhs scott Schmidt? Did you just happen to run into him at big sky/YC, or was he your ticket there in the first place?

Yes Blizzard of Ahhhhs Scot Schmidt. Apparently you can arrange to ski with him. Our group leader managed to pull some strings to set up an afternoon with him at YC.

We got in because the guy who arranged our trip knew one of the Real Estate guys there and was "interested" in some property there ;) Reminiscent of the South Park Asspen episode without being kept hostage.

goldsbar

How did YC compare to Big Sky? I love Big Sky (except for the ever present rock strikes) and can't understand why a private area is even needed given Big Sky is almost always uncrowded save for the tram.

mikestaple

YC is for those fortunate enough to score a pass and heavy heavy hitters. When I was at Big Sky a few years ago, a few members of our party had passed to YC. They ran into Phil Mickelson, Bill Gates wife and Lars Ulrich. So the .01 of the .01. (The resorts private hanger in Bozeman is another clue to this). As for the skiing, I think Big Sky gives you all you need. You can ski a week and not hit it all.

And the terrain goes from endless thigh burners to the crazy chutes you see in ski films. Something for everyone. Should be on everyone's list.