• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Zermatt - Switzerland

jaysunn

That was really cool. Thanks for posting. Everything looks so upkept and new. All the lifts/gondis/trams etc... just look really clean and new. I would love to head up for this, bucket list 100

Zermatt

That was really cool. Thanks for posting. Everything looks so upkept and new. All the lifts/gondis/trams etc... just look really clean and new. I would love to head up for this, bucket list 100

Thanks. I actually just re-posted in the non-east trip report forum. This thread should probably be closed.

Yes, that is Switzerland for you. Ultra-modern, ultra-efficient, incredibly beautiful. There are virtually no old lifts in Zermatt. Everything is high speed (save for the glacier t-bars). All chairs are high speed 6's with covers, some with heated seats. They have trains instead of lifts and a funicular that is entirely underground to access the alpine zone. There is even a chair lift on a moving glacier, they have the ability to move the towers as needed to keep them in line.

More importantly, Switzerland is far more affordable then you think. 5 day no advance purchase pass to Zermatt is $66 per day. Kids under 9 ski free. 5 days of ski school for my 6 year old was $425 from 8:45 to 3:45 with lunch. Not per day, but total.