• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton 3/16/16

Jcb890

There are no steeps at Stratton but it is a much better mountain than Okemo. Only bumps on the mountain are the two seeded runs savemeasammy pictured & a short stretch skiers left on the top section under the gondola. The majority of the trail width under the gondi was groomed. All the open terrain had good cover & even some of the not open terrain with the exception of the runout from Snowbowl & the crossover to Ursala which I already mentioned. I think you should have a good day there but it's likely to be much firmer than it was Wed.

The last time I went to Stratton was last spring and I spent most of my day lapping the URSA Express I believe. I thought some of the trails over that way had some decent pitch. Maybe it was Tamarack, I can't recall exactly.

The double-blacks they have listed - is that only due to being a mogul run? Their trail map shows an awful lot of double-blacks.

steamboat1

The last time I went to Stratton was last spring and I spent most of my day lapping the URSA Express I believe. I thought some of the trails over that way had some decent pitch. Maybe it was Tamarack, I can't recall exactly.

The double-blacks they have listed - is that only due to being a mogul run? Their trail map shows an awful lot of double-blacks.

They may rate some trails double black but believe me there aren't any at Stratton. The only open trail that might even be considered a single black is Competition Hill (the closed seeded course in savemeasammy's picture). Even that isn't really that steep. I wouldn't worry about what their trail ratings say. I think you'll really enjoy Stratton if the snow surfaces are decent.

Jcb890

They may rate some trails double black but believe me there aren't any at Stratton. The only open trail that might even be considered a single black is Competition Hill (the closed seeded course in savemeasammy's picture). Even that isn't really that steep. I wouldn't worry about what their trail ratings say. I think you'll really enjoy Stratton if the snow surfaces are decent.

I enjoyed it last spring, but I think even fewer trails were open when I went last year. I didn't see anything real steep, but I thought some of their black diamonds had a good pitch to them. I'll be sure to report back here and let people know how my experience goes.

Anyone on AZ heading to Stratton tomorrow?

reefer

Big if. Stratton is best with a lot of snow (woods) or in the spring like Wednesday. The only place I would ski tomorrow is somewhere making snow (Mt. Snow). I think it will be a frozen mess tomorrow. Hard and fast. I don't have the need for speed anymore. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Already looking forward to going back next Friday when it softens up again.

bdfreetuna

There are no steeps at Stratton but it is a much better mountain than Okemo.

True. Stratton is flat but fun. Okemo is just mediocre in every way, but that's what their customer base likes.

Thinking about Stratton this week especially if they get a little snow. Seems like they have a lot of terrain open compared to most and haven't been there this year.