• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

03/20 - 03/21 Storm?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It wasn't wish-casting, it was blatant model-hugging of the Euro (see below). Looks to me like he basically took the below and slapped about a 7:1 or an 8:1 on it and you'd end up pretty much with his map. Live by the ECMWF, die by the ECMWF.

Too bad it was wrong... completely off with this storm. Big win for the GFS. There were a couple runs where it said "oh shit" and gave NE a massive snowstorm, but for the most part it has been OTS or a Cape Cod storm.

BenedictGomez

Too bad it was wrong... completely off with this storm. Big win for the GFS. There were a couple runs where it said "oh shit" and gave NE a massive snowstorm, but for the most part it has been OTS or a Cape Cod storm.

The models STILL dont have any consensus. More shifting today. The below are all very different, even though we're only about 16 hours away from this!

gfs_asnow_neus_11.png
gem_asnow_neus_11.png

nam4km_asnow_neus_21.png
I mean, these really arent very similar at all.

bdfreetuna

120h is where it's at... 12z and 18z GFS agree on 8-12" in greens and whites right now.. GEM looks nice at 240 too, enough to give hope to stretch the season out a little bit

WINTER_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_120HR.jpg

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

What? They're two posters talking about 3 different storms.

Not really. I wouldn't call whatever may come midweek a storm. Just a good week to watch out for possible snowfall in the mountains. I know I'm keeping my options open this week so I can go ski whatever day it might be good. Thought the season was done for recently so I'll take what I can get.

Also I don't make the forecast models just post the images when they look good :lol: Some people here act like if you don't have a crystal ball don't post anything. I just like to get stoked for snow. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. Don't rely on some graphic or forecast someone posts for your travel plans. All skiers who care about the weather should be looking this stuff up on their own anyway.

bdfreetuna

That said if you just sit back here and laugh when you see snow in the forecast and don't do your own due diligence, and miss out on the day when there is a few inches of fresh on the ground and you see pics on social media and wish you were there... that's on YOU!

BenedictGomez

120h is where it's at... 12z and 18z GFS agree on 8-12" in greens and whites right now.. GEM looks nice at 240 too, enough to give hope to stretch the season out a little bit

120 and 240? Ugh.... good luck with all that.

Sweet! I'm going with the Tuna/Gomez model. Pow for everyone!

You drunk?

I don't make the forecast models just post the images when they look good
icon_lol.gif

Yeah, you shouldnt do that.