03/20 - 03/21 Storm? - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Since the only real meteorologist left the forum (or the area?) 2 years ago, I come to the weather sub-forum a lot less frequent.

Last year, there were a lot of speculation which did or did not turn out. At times, it's more entertainment than information. This year, it's down to mostly wishful thinking. Coupled with trip report of refrozen slush being "great skiing, considered", not only the information content of the whole site had gone way down, even the entertainment value had all but disappeared. (at a season we need the latter the most, no less).

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Since the only real meteorologist left the forum (or the area?) 2 years ago, I come to the weather sub-forum a lot less frequent.
    who was that?
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Well, to be fair I didn't get a degree in readin' weather maps and a-tellin' what they say.

I shaw woodn't want to make weather map lookin' seem like somethin' jus bout anyone could do!

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    who was that?
    I forgot his handle. He worked in one of the weather website that does resort specific snow forecast. The site got bought out (in some form?) and the site that still had that name didn't do half as good a job in the forecast.

I'm not 100% sure he's a "meteorologist" or just a computer geek (although there're few meteorologist who are not computer geek, the reverse isn't always true). The biggest difference I see is a real meteorologist doesn't allow their forecast be swayed by what their personal wish to ski that weekend.

"Meteorologist" vs skier map reader... the former fluffs the warm sunny weather, the latter gives you heads up when it looks like snow

You'll know real bias when you see it

TunaCast.png

Last year, there were a lot of speculation which did or did not turn out. At times, it's more entertainment than information. This year, it's down to mostly wishful thinking.

Go to any weather forum with professional mets, TV mets, and amateurs and you will find the same types of entertainment, discussions, and speculation, probably more there than here.
    There is currently a 90 page discussion of the system southern NE will get tonight/tomorrow on americanwx.com. A site with many professional mets and amateurs. Some of the pros are worse than the amateurs with wishcasting and spreading panic of snow/no snow. All 90 pages of back and forth, blizzard, no blizzard, people jumping off bridges, people panicking with ever model run, etc. This will then be coupled with 40 pages of observations and further discussion when the storm begins. This happens for every system that could put down a few inches+.

My point: No matter which site you go to, pro mets or not, weather brings out the drama and is loaded with speculation.
    Last edited by Tin; Mar 20, 2016 at 2:32 PM.
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

I forgot his handle. He worked in one of the weather website that does resort specific snow forecast. The site got bought out (in some form?) and the site that still had that name didn't do half as good a job in the forecast.

I'm not 100% sure he's a "meteorologist" or just a computer geek (although there're few meteorologist who are not computer geek, the reverse isn't always true). The biggest difference I see is a real meteorologist doesn't allow their forecast be swayed by what their personal wish to ski that weekend.
    Windchill from snow-forecast.com
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Go to any weather forum with professional mets, TV mets, and amateurs and you will find the same types of entertainment, discussions, and speculation, probably more there than here.
    There is currently a 90 page discussion of the system southern NE will get tonight/tomorrow on americanwx.com. A site with many professional mets and amateurs. Some of the pros are worse than the amateurs with wishcasting and spreading panic of snow/no snow. All 90 pages of back and forth, blizzard, no blizzard, people jumping off bridges, people panicking with ever model run, etc. This will then be coupled with 40 pages of observations and further discussion when the storm begins. This happens for every system that could put down a few inches+.

My point: No matter which site you go to, pro mets or not, weather brings out the drama and is loaded with speculation.
    The problem with THIS forum is, there's no discussion, little entertainment, and only abundant wishful thinking!

I can cook up my own fantasy. I don't need to read someone else's. (ok, I don't mind occasionally come across other's fantasy, that's part of the entertainment, but it's the ratio of the above that's entirely out of wack here)

Quote Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
    Windchill from snow-forecast.com
    Right! Thank you.

I'm getting really bad with names, worse each year.

I think much of this "it was better before" thought is directly attributable to the lack of skiable snow in New England this year. That fact, combined with all the happy "this is the best Winter ever" bullshit I hear from every non skier I talk to is making me angry and punchy... And I tend to be a lot less confrontational than many on this forum...

I hope that next year sucks by at least one order of magnitude less.

-w
    2018-2019:
    Ready to go
    2017-2018 - 21, 2016-2017 - 20, 2015-2016 - 8, 2014-2015 - 10, 2013-2014 - 21, 2012-2013 - 12ish, 2011-2012 - 12, 2010-2011 - 20, 2009-2010 - 23, 2008-2009 - 30, 2007-2008 - 35

Thread Information