• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

03/20 - 03/21 Storm?

abc

Since the only real meteorologist left the forum (or the area?) 2 years ago, I come to the weather sub-forum a lot less frequent.

Last year, there were a lot of speculation which did or did not turn out. At times, it's more entertainment than information. This year, it's down to mostly wishful thinking. Coupled with trip report of refrozen slush being "great skiing, considered", not only the information content of the whole site had gone way down, even the entertainment value had all but disappeared. (at a season we need the latter the most, no less).

abc

who was that?
I forgot his handle. He worked in one of the weather website that does resort specific snow forecast. The site got bought out (in some form?) and the site that still had that name didn't do half as good a job in the forecast.

I'm not 100% sure he's a "meteorologist" or just a computer geek (although there're few meteorologist who are not computer geek, the reverse isn't always true). The biggest difference I see is a real meteorologist doesn't allow their forecast be swayed by what their personal wish to ski that weekend.

bdfreetuna

"Meteorologist" vs skier map reader... the former fluffs the warm sunny weather, the latter gives you heads up when it looks like snow

You'll know real bias when you see it

TunaCast.png

Tin

Since the only real meteorologist left the forum (or the area?) 2 years ago, I come to the weather sub-forum a lot less frequent.

Last year, there were a lot of speculation which did or did not turn out. At times, it's more entertainment than information. This year, it's down to mostly wishful thinking.

Go to any weather forum with professional mets, TV mets, and amateurs and you will find the same types of entertainment, discussions, and speculation, probably more there than here.
There is currently a 90 page discussion of the system southern NE will get tonight/tomorrow on americanwx.com. A site with many professional mets and amateurs. Some of the pros are worse than the amateurs with wishcasting and spreading panic of snow/no snow. All 90 pages of back and forth, blizzard, no blizzard, people jumping off bridges, people panicking with ever model run, etc. This will then be coupled with 40 pages of observations and further discussion when the storm begins. This happens for every system that could put down a few inches+.

My point: No matter which site you go to, pro mets or not, weather brings out the drama and is loaded with speculation.

Last edited:

Puck it

I forgot his handle. He worked in one of the weather website that does resort specific snow forecast. The site got bought out (in some form?) and the site that still had that name didn't do half as good a job in the forecast.

I'm not 100% sure he's a "meteorologist" or just a computer geek (although there're few meteorologist who are not computer geek, the reverse isn't always true). The biggest difference I see is a real meteorologist doesn't allow their forecast be swayed by what their personal wish to ski that weekend.
Windchill from snow-forecast.com

abc

Go to any weather forum with professional mets, TV mets, and amateurs and you will find the same types of entertainment, discussions, and speculation, probably more there than here.
There is currently a 90 page discussion of the system southern NE will get tonight/tomorrow on americanwx.com. A site with many professional mets and amateurs. Some of the pros are worse than the amateurs with wishcasting and spreading panic of snow/no snow. All 90 pages of back and forth, blizzard, no blizzard, people jumping off bridges, people panicking with ever model run, etc. This will then be coupled with 40 pages of observations and further discussion when the storm begins. This happens for every system that could put down a few inches+.

My point: No matter which site you go to, pro mets or not, weather brings out the drama and is loaded with speculation.
The problem with THIS forum is, there's no discussion, little entertainment, and only abundant wishful thinking!

I can cook up my own fantasy. I don't need to read someone else's. (ok, I don't mind occasionally come across other's fantasy, that's part of the entertainment, but it's the ratio of the above that's entirely out of wack here)

WJenness

I think much of this "it was better before" thought is directly attributable to the lack of skiable snow in New England this year. That fact, combined with all the happy "this is the best Winter ever" bullshit I hear from every non skier I talk to is making me angry and punchy... And I tend to be a lot less confrontational than many on this forum...

I hope that next year sucks by at least one order of magnitude less.

-w

hammer

I've been trying to follow the banter on this event over on americanwx.com...too much back and forth, even so close to when things are supposed to start.

As of now I don't know if I will wake up tomorrow to a dusting or several inches. Will make sure we don't have any cars on the street just in case.

catsup948

Seems like plenty of discussion on the topic of complaining about what people do or do not post. You could always go get a met degree and help even out that ratio.

I'm with Tuna on this one. People is this forum don't discuss anything there is just a lot of complaining. Even when people try to get discussion going it turns into complaining.

Mid to late next week does look good for the mountains of NNE. We have been down this road before.

bdfreetuna

I come here for the speculation. Plenty of times I click on this forum and see something in the forecast that I wasn't watching myself. Snow stoke is good, and essential for the healthy mindset of skiers and riders.

Appreciate all y'all who put up maps and give the heads up. I'm not sure there's much other point to this forum beyond that.

Jully

I also appreciate the maps people put up. Speculation in a good year is really fun. In a bad year like this one tensions can run high, as we've seen. I just hope next year is better and those who post to this forum aren't discouraged.

Additionally, there are always lurkers who watch this forum too who likely appreciate the maps that get put up. I doubt they're very interested in the intra-forum complaining and insulting that goes around.

ScottySkis

I think his name was Winn chill m.he got a different jib

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

abc

Additionally, there are always lurkers who watch this forum too who likely appreciate the maps that get put up. I doubt they're very interested in the intra-forum complaining and insulting that goes around.
I normal consider myself one of those lurkers, because I have nothing useful to add in clarifying the uncertainty in the forecast.

The speculation was, like I said, part of the "entertainment". Nobody should take it too seriously if the speculation didn't turn out. After all, even pro mets got it wrong some of the time. In between the wild speculations, there's sometimes knowledge & experience, even if it's from non-professional met locals who just have the right hunch on their local condition.

But the insult, especially from those who speculate base ONLY on their own wishful thinking, against whoever who disagree with their wishful outcome, is new this year.

What's next? Trip report of "great condition" of skiing dirt to support their "prediction" of storm that never materialize? Like no one else was on the mountain...well, at least not on their own private stash that happened to got dump on by their private squall!

Last edited:

hammer

So did Wachusett get anything out of this? Guess it doesn't matter...they are done for the season. What a waste of frozen precip.

Just enough at home to have to bring out the snow blower so the driveway doesn't ice up tonight...:-x

yeggous

So did Wachusett get anything out of this? Guess it doesn't matter...they are done for the season. What a waste of frozen precip.

Just enough at home to have to bring out the snow blower so the driveway doesn't ice up tonight...:-x

I'm not touching the snowblower of shovel. That is what four wheel drive is for. It's going to melt in a couple of days.

gmcunni

I left my snow blower in the garage during my spring cleaning yesterday morning. I should have put it away to guarantee more snow. Sorry.

Last edited: