• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Learn any lessons from this winter?

bdfreetuna

I for one will make a point of it to be more flexible in my schedule and when the going is relatively good, get going. We'll see how that works out.

Also got a refresher on skiing icy conditions and boilerplate. As well as mid-season mashed potatoes and really all kinds of variable conditions.

Learned to take it ease with the vehicle after totaling my Impreza. Can't say I regret that a lot driving in a 10x better vehicle now though.

Learned a bit more about weather even though I hope those lessons don't all apply again next season.

Probably going to be booking a trip or two out west each year from now on too.

Difficult times are ideally learning experiences. What have you got?

4aprice

We learned that our small home mountain has a really good snowmaking system and when used properly can make things decent in a hurry ,that as long as we're here we will support them, but most of all we learned our desire to go west for good is growing by the year. Getting tired of the boiler plate, Pocono Pavement with sugar, cloudy and most of all COLD days.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

JDMRoma

Don't pee behind ski patrol shacks at Cannon. 🙀

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

SkiFanE

That you can make it through an entire season with one quick edge sharpening, while you wait and wait and wait for conditions to improve before you bother with a full wax and tune. Generally if skiing requires sharp edges, I'll quit early. Even with this year there were only 2 days that bad. SR snowmaking rocks.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Skiing with the DIN maxed out = less minor injuries. As for major injuries only time will tell.

You have some interesting theories, Ski length makes a difference also . All DIN's are not equal. I'd rather buy a high DIN binding and have a low setting , gives you some room for spring weakening.
I had the same DIN settings on both skis this year . Crashed and one heel ejected and the other stayed put and broke a ski in half ?
The setting windows are pretty small and it's easy to see how one vs other ski would be different.

New AZ Charity Go Fund Me . Tuna ACL fund.

jaytrem

Teaching 2 4-year-olds how to ski is an excellent workout.

Pez

Just go. If you wait for perfect conditions you'll be waiting for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

I actually have a half busted knee right now that I think started up on 2 failed attempts to stick the landing of Vista Glade rock drop. Both involving double ejects. Since then I tightened it up and at least I haven't injured it more. Been wearing knee braces most days out since then (not that I've had a big number of days out this season).

SkiFanE I haven't used anything more than Swix wax since my last tune 3 years ago... the same time I got my edges last sharpened. That's the least of my skis problems though... major scratches in the base, big chips off the top layer, only one ski brake works. Been riding out rock skis for the last few years.

That said I generally prefer, or at least have gotten used to, skis that don't have fresh edges. I like them a little detuned anyway for skiing narrow woods.

Probably getting some Atomic Vantage 90 CTI this summer.

Last edited:

abc

Lessons learned? I'm so smart that I've had a fabulous season as everybody else moan about the weather! :evil:

No wasted coupons. Pass well used, far beyond breaking even. But only ONE powder day (out of 20 so far)

The lesson I don't need to learn this season (because I learned them long ago already)? If you set your expectation low enough, you'll never be disappointed.

Heading to Squaw and Mammoth Friday! :D

[EDIT] Oh yeah, got new skis that cut ice like it's butter. Firm day == happy day!

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I actually have a half busted knee right now that I think started up on 2 failed attempts to stick the landing of Vista Glade rock drop. Both involving double ejects. Since then I tightened it up and at least I haven't injured it more. Been wearing knee braces most days out since then (not that I've had a big number of days out this season).

Probably getting some Dynastar Powertrack 89's this summer.

The energy gets dissipated somewhere , skis ,legs . Old Rossi freestyles , ripped heels out of skis , Helicoiled and even they started to destroy the cores. IMG_4916.jpg

jaysunn

Sharp edges, Almost like hockey skates, if any hockey players on here can contest. If you have dull skates or poorly tied knots, it will suck. So tight Dins, sharp edges this season was what I liked. Same for my Snowboard, sharp magnatraction board out performed my powda 165W hovercraft.

Pray for next season,
:)

yeggous

Skiing with the DIN maxed out = less minor injuries. As for major injuries only time will tell.

I'd expect the exact opposite. I dropped my DIN after getting hit from behind and hurting my ankle. Been very happy since. Only crank it up for the Vertical Challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Well I only had the DIN on like 7 and increased it to 10.. so it's not super high. The bindings only go to 11.

It became annoying to keep losing skis on every rock drop, or squirrely rabbit hole if I don't ski it just right, or time I sink into some heavy snow. I would say I had my bindings *too low*, not that I cranked them up extremely high.

Edd

Have a set of carvers in the quiver. I feel dumb going a few years without one.