• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Learn any lessons from this winter?

jimk

I'm with you Jim. The weather, the snow, the sun, it just plain better out there and I (we as I include my wife) are pretty sure we are going to end up out there one of these days.

Not only is the skiing more comfortable but life in general out there seems to be more agreeable. I know it can get cold even snowy in places like Salt Lake and Denver but it doesn't stick around and I love it after spending a day up in the mountains skiing around on nice deep bases coming down to beautiful 60-70 degree weather. Enjoying that weather down in the valleys and knowing its not killing the skiing above and that the next storm coming in will refresh and reboot the whole scene. Was a beautiful 70 degree day on Saturday in Denver (the skiing at Loveland was great) and flying into JFK at about 25 degrees Sunday morning was not a very nice welcome.

My son is headed to school in Denver next year and we too will be taking more airplane rides. Haven't played the bump game yet but may try it. Right now we are trying to figure out where we could stash equipment out there to avoid having to fly with it but we have 2 major destinations that we go to and the logistics are lacking. (ie don't want to have to fly to Salt Lake to ski in Colorado, or Denver to ski in Utah) Anyways the major lesson we learned was really last year when the west was supposedly so bad it was not worth the trip only to find it still better then what we left back east. Can't wait to get back out there. (Had it with Jersey too)

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

What school is your son going to? Sounds like you have some good ski opportunities to capitalize on for Christmas and Spring breaks next year.

crank

I learned the truth of the saying - the best skiing in the east is at the airport.

tekweezle

Seems like the most snow falls at the airport....

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Domeskier

Airports are usually pretty flat for some reason. I guess whoever came up with this saying is talking about XC skiing.

abc

Make it a spring trip and you've got motivation to get out and practice all season.
Now that's a good one!

I've been doing that for a while, without realising that's what motivated me to ski more at home.

Now I added another trip in January. Bypassing our annual thaw in the east. In years of poor start, that January trip kick start my season. Then the spring trip caps it. Guarantees bookend season.

tekweezle

Head west once a year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took that advice and went to SLC this past weekend. 2 powder days(solitude and snowbird) and 1 slushy spring day(snowbasin) thus far. 1 more day at Snowbird and then the redeye back to NY. Ironic thing is that the flight was only 4 hours due to good flying weather. That's less than getting some places in the north east!

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

VTKilarney

Ironic thing is that the flight was only 4 hours due to good flying weather. That's less than getting some places in the north east!
Not when you factor in getting to/from the airport and waiting to board your flight. But it's definitely worth it!

steamboat1

I took that advice and went to SLC this past weekend. 2 powder days(solitude and snowbird) and 1 slushy spring day(snowbasin) thus far. 1 more day at Snowbird and then the redeye back to NY. Ironic thing is that the flight was only 4 hours due to good flying weather. That's less than getting some places in the north east!
Best part is if you catch a early morning flight to SLC you can be on the slopes by late morning/early afternoon. The redeye back is a killer though. I think we didn't land until 6:30am last time I took it home. I can't sleep on planes.

abc

Not when you factor in getting to/from the airport and waiting to board your flight. But it's definitely worth it!
Depends on how far you're from the airport. I can get to the airport in less than an hour. Add another hour waiting for the flight, it's 6 hrs. (some airport has much shorter wait than New York, for example, Reno is 1/2 hr wait only) The same time it takes me to Burke or Jay.

No wonder I haven't been to Jay for quite a few years now. And never really a Burke fan. It's easier to go out west instead. Cost more, but better skiing. FAR BETTER skiing!

abc

The redeye back is a killer though. I think we didn't land until 6:30am last time I took it home. I can't sleep on planes.
That doesn't bother me too badly. I can sleep a bit on the plane. Just enough to be functional at work for that day. The following night I sleep REALLY well. And I'm usually back to normal the next day. (that's TODAY, after flying back from Calgary on a redeye on Sunday night!)

tekweezle

I made it back this morning. Flying weather was great so we arrived on time(under 4 hours). Tuesday morning was a bit of heavy travel day so it was a little hectic getting out of the airport. I will have to adjust something in my planning.

Unfortunately for me the only flights out was at 5:15(too early) and 1am. So a lot of waiting around in the airport. But the skiing was worth it :)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk