• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 3-24-16

drjeff

Took advantage of the kids having the day off from school and added to my Easter weekend of skiing!

Got on the hill at about 12:30 - heard from friends me and my kids saw in the lodge who had been skiing since opening bell that the overnight freezing rain had it firm and crispy at the start but that the snow had corned up nicely now.

The Northface was closed for the day due to the icing overnight so we just lapped the Bluebird for about 2 hours, skiing all the open terrain on the main face.

Solid coverage top to bottom on Cascade to Canyon which was in our opinion the best route this afternoon.

Ridge has some thin spots that are easily avoided, with the pitch still very well covered.

Lodge is getting thin near the top of the pitch by the top of the Ego Alley lift, but otherwise has decent coverage. Snowdance has a few, isolated thin areas that some snow can likely be pushed into without much difficulty.

Not sure how many more days Ego Alley, Drop and Yardsale have left in them as either some grass skiing or a few steps of walking are required to get to the top of Yardsale and drop had a couple of short dirt jumps involved in it, and Ego has a windy S turn like path for the 1st hundred yards or so that is getting thin in places.

All in all some classic 2 more weekends of operation left spring snow today!

Attachments

• 1458847506129.jpg
    1458847506129.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 1458847916463.jpg
    1458847916463.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 1458847950259.jpg
    1458847950259.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 1458847992831.jpg
    1458847992831.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 136

Jcb890

IMO, Cascade to Canyon has been their most consistent trail/run all season and has quickly become my favorite. Last year my favorite was the "Dipper" trails over on Sunbrook, but they didn't open at all this season and that lift is just so slow.

I'm glad you guys had fun out there. We were there Sunday and had a good time as well.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'll be there Saturday. Think we'll lose any trails? How's the North Face been holding up? Should be a good day. Sub-freezing temperatures the night before ending with 50 degrees and sun should make for a mix of everything from boilerplate to slush. Logic would say that there's gotta be something good in between :-D

drjeff

I'll be there Saturday. Think we'll lose any trails? How's the North Face been holding up? Should be a good day. Sub-freezing temperatures the night before ending with 50 degrees and sun should make for a mix of everything from boilerplate to slush. Logic would say that there's gotta be something good in between :-D

Since the NF was closed all day today, I'm not exactly sure, solid base depths though last weekend, so it s hould be fine this weekend I'm guessing (only light showers predicted here overnight/tomorrow AM)

Main face, not sure if Ego/Drop/Yardsale, and maybe Charlie's Chase have more than a day or 2 left in them, especially if it hits the 50's!!

My guess is with a little snow pushing that everything else makes it through the weekend

drjeff

Congrats on the golden chair.

Thanks!! Both my kids are a bit mad at me as that was my 6th or 7th golden bubble of the season whereas it was my son's 3rd of the year and my daughter's 1st! (I've got A LOT of laps on the Bluebird this year!!!)

Bostonian

Glad you had a great day on the snow. Even though I have only hit snow once this year, I have to agree Cascade to Canyon skied the best out of everything I hit on Tuesday. Glad to be a part of the Peaks family for the upcoming year - I plan to take advantage of it! Already mapping out my days off for next year!

skifree

think they are running out of warning poles this year. i hit a good size rock on lodge st paddys day and double ejected.
still feel the effects. good day though.

Jcb890

think they are running out of warning poles this year. i hit a good size rock on lodge st paddys day and double ejected.
still feel the effects. good day though.

I did notice a couple of spots that could have used warning poles when I was there Sunday 3/20 earlier on in the day. It seemed like it took them a while to do it, but by the afternoon they had put the poles up.

drjeff

Be careful out there this weekend - mother nature did some not so pretty things to a few trails overnight!!

drjeff

groomers fix it tonight for us weekend warriors tomorrow?

I hope so, although some of the non fan gun trails may be "terminal" depending on how quickly/slowly the cold air arrives tonight!!

Some diesel will need to be burned in the cats tonight, but it looks like there is some snow available to farm into places.

The good thing is from just having watched the Albany 5PM news, the cold air is about 50 miles West of here now and moving this way fairly quickly!