• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

sull1102

'Rapid response' at the Hermitage C.../rapid-response-at-the-hermitage-club,532644

Fat Lady is being heard in the Deerfield River Valley tonight. Hope folks can find work soon

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Pretty tame compared to some of the rumors I heard the last few days....

If there's any validity to some of them, then this situation is going to go National Enquirer/Jerry Springer-esque!!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

Article says that all foriegn workers on work visas kept their jobs.....so they only laid off the local workers??

drjeff

Article says that all foriegn workers on work visas kept their jobs.....so they only laid off the local workers??

As I understand from a member I skied a few runs with at Mount Snow on Tuesday, the local layoffs were mainly seasonal employees, not full timers, so that group of workers would of been let go in a few weeks, as they normally would of been as well. The seasonal workers will fill in, albeit at lower staffing levels than they typically would have, until their season, and their VISA's end in a few weeks.

Core, year round, locals, who also work at say the Hermitage Golf Club, and the Hermitage Inn, and basic general maintenance staff, as my friend told me, are slated to remain Hermitage Employees as they usually would. My friend also said that since that statement came from Jim Barnes, that they're no longer sure of it's validity, but the fact that the finance board seemed to reiterate this, seems to give it more weight than if it was just from Jim Barnes himself....

sull1102

Another day another bad story in the local paper. The Brattleboro Reformer says theres an investigation of the Club firing two guys for being gay and harassing then before that. So now multiple federal orgs are investigating this private club for the rich, that's good optics. I wonder who the last member to join was because they may be the last for some time.

As for the lay offs this is almost six weeks earlier than most seasonal people would have worked until. Also the numbers quoted in the paper of 50-80 people would have VERY few people left over unless they doubled staffing numbers from last year.

Sex discrimination alleged at Hermi...x-discrimination-alleged-at-hermitage,532668

jaytrem

Pretty tame compared to some of the rumors I heard the last few days....

If there's any validity to some of them, then this situation is going to go National Enquirer/Jerry Springer-esque!!!!

I figured you had heard the "juicy" stuff a while ago but didn't want to add to the rumor-mongering.

Smellytele

Another day another bad story in the local paper. The Brattleboro Reformer says theres an investigation of the Club firing two guys for being gay and harassing then before that. So now multiple federal orgs are investigating this private club for the rich, that's good optics. I wonder who the last member to join was because they may be the last for some time.

As for the lay offs this is almost six weeks earlier than most seasonal people would have worked until. Also the numbers quoted in the paper of 50-80 people would have VERY few people left over unless they doubled staffing numbers from last year.

Sex discrimination alleged at Hermitage
[url]http://www.reformer.com/stories/sex-discrimination-alleged-at-hermitage,532668

[/URL]

Your link posting ability leaves something to be desired.

drjeff

On their FB page, they say that they're looking forward to seeing their members on the hill and show a bunch of likely foriegn workers still their cleaning up their "Clubhouse"/base lodge for the weekend....

Smellytele

sull1102

Rubin has been around since 2005 so not new blood. Not sure why they think it will work with him in charge as he was Barnes right hand man. Just seems like a puppet regime put in place to divert the light but I hope it isn't.
Got that impression, especially once I read that Rubin was involved with the previous failed attempt at a private club between Mount Snow selling and Barnes buying in.

drjeff

Talked with a couple members at a race at Stratton today.. their impression was the news of the last 36hrs is good, and won't lead to anything down the road that amounts to anything other than business as usual...

Euler

Talked with a couple members at a race at Stratton today.. their impression was the news of the last 36hrs is good, and won't lead to anything down the road that amounts to anything other than business as usual...

That's a bummer and hopefully not true as "business as usual" has not really been something we'd like to see continue. The Hermitage management team has blatantly thumbed their nose at the local community by blowing off tax payments, failing to pay local businesses when lines of credit have come due, and ignoring state and local regulations/zoning issues while putting in new construction. I don't hold ill will towards the folks who have used their wealth to purchase property there or membership in the club, but the management team has really done a dis-service to the Deerfield Valley and it's time for them to get out.

sull1102

Wow. Yeah those members can say it's business as usual, but it is not. Employees are gone, few remain, check bounced when they tried to pay taxes yesterday, and oh the bank of has started foreclosure. Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? Every single day for the last week there has been another article with bad press, from bankruptcy to layoffs, sexual discrimination, wrongful termination I mean wow. These things usually are a little bit slower moving, I'm thinking back to Jay and Burke where it seemed like there were signs of trouble for months and even then it took a while for things to unfold. This seems very accelerated.

VTKilarney

The fat lady is singing:
“The action also lists as defendants, along with Barnes and the Hermitage, about 45 individuals, businesses, and government entities that have filed liens or writs of attachment against Hermitage Club properties totalling more than $9.7 million. The amount includes a $1.5 million writ filed by Reinhart Food Service, two $1 million writs filed by individuals for residential properties, and $1.2 million in liens filed by the Vermont Department of Taxes.”