• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

NYDB

What aspect didn't smell right?

What I want to know is how much risk and loss Barnes put on the line. I don't know what his take was, but didn't Barnes sell his waste management company for hundreds of millions of dollars prior to starting Hermitage?

I think knowing his worth would really put his defaulting on debt obligations in perspective.
Did he sign checks that his wealth couldn't cash or has he refused to pay bills he can clearly afford and decided to use every means he has to screw over local vendors and the local municipality

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

No doubt it is the latter.

thetrailboss

Staff member
What aspect didn't smell right?

What I want to know is how much risk and loss Barnes put on the line. I don't know what his take was, but didn't Barnes sell his waste management company for hundreds of millions of dollars prior to starting Hermitage?

I think knowing his worth would really put his defaulting on debt obligations in perspective. Did he sign checks that his wealth couldn't cash or has he refused to pay bills he can clearly afford and decided to use every means he has to screw over local vendors and the local municipality

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

It seemed too ambitious and I also wondered about the money piece as you mentioned.

sull1102

It's the latter. He has the money 100%. Ownership of the club is a bit murky as far as how much exactly does Barnes own vs the members. Last year I was told over and over again that the club was all set because they had enough members signed up to be self sustainable. The whole concept of him not paying off basically any of the Berkshire loans is pretty much right in line with what would be expected of this type of character... He made his money in the trash business, who else was involved with the trash business once upon a time?

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

bigbob

The rumor I heard the other day was he was caught fooling around with a you lady by his wife and she had he locked out of all the bank accounts!

sull1102

The rumor I heard the other day was he was caught fooling around with a you lady by his wife and she had he locked out of all the bank accounts!

Unless this is a new young girl, which is semi realistic, that rumor is over a year old now. Practically all of Southern Vermont knew about the first go around when the girl was supposedly pregnant.

sull1102

Oh wow, I guess to some extent I kind of hoped for his wife and kids that wasn't the case. They always seemed like nice people and that's a tough thing to go through.

Vaughn

It might be easier to list stuff Hermitage did actually pay for at this point.

Lifts - no
taxes - no
local vendors - no
utilities - no

tnt1234

Interesting read: https://liftblog.com/2018/03/03/as-the-hermitage-faces-foreclosure-what-about-the-lifts/

Based on this, it would seem the likely course of action would be Chapter 11, followed a few years later with the members buying back the club for cents on the dollar?

Ha! A high end member co-op! A rich man's MRG.

"Pull your lexus right up tot he ticket counter Mrs. Got Rocks - you are working the snack bar today..."

djd66

There has been a correction to the article. Doppelmayr says there is no lien and the lift was entirely paid off.

If this is true - it is good for the bank - as they will have a hard asset to go after.