• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

urungus

Hermitage sent out a press release today saying they had a successful season and are moving into off-season ops. They'll be closing with 100% of the upper mountain and Witches open, but they didn't run the lower mountain lifts so those trails were closed off. Surprised they aren't going to be open for Easter.

“they had a successful season” ... LOL

sull1102

Place looks to have a very nice base on the entire mountain including the lower area this morning on the way to Mount Snow. I wonder if Snow will see a bump next weekend with members looking to ski Easter weekend.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

Maybe some deep-pocketed member will step up and fund operations for one last weekend. I hear some of the members are very proud of their little club.

drjeff

Maybe some deep-pocketed member will step up and fund operations for one last weekend. I hear some of the members are very proud of their little club.

Historically, events wise, this coming weekend, where there's the Winter Brewfest at Mount Snow on Saturday and the Gladiator bump comp down Ripcord on Sunday, is one of the weekends where one tends to see a fair number of Hermitage Club members at Mount Snow, just simply enjoying a fun events weekend in the Valley

Domeskier

Historically, events wise, this coming weekend, where there's the Winter Brewfest at Mount Snow on Saturday and the Gladiator bump comp down Ripcord on Sunday, is one of the weekends where one tends to see a fair number of Hermitage Club members at Mount Snow, just simply enjoying a fun events weekend in the Valley

I didn't really mean it. I'm sure even the least well-off member could self fund operations for a weekend. At this point in the season there's really no need for a private club. At least not one whose primary selling point is lack of crowds. I think the decision to close this weekend would make good sense even if the place were flush.

sull1102

I didn't really mean it. I'm sure even the least well-off member could self fund operations for a weekend. At this point in the season there's really no need for a private club. At least not one whose primary selling point is lack of crowds. I think the decision to close this weekend would make good sense even if the place were flush.
Sadly there's a few members at least that signed up early on that are much closer to middle class than you would think.

I think all the anti Haystack sentiment is solely because it was open to all and then that was taken away and given back to only the rich. That isn't going to make friends out of many if any locals.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

asnowmobiler

I think all the anti Haystack sentiment is solely because it was open to all and then that was taken away and given back to only the rich. That isn't going to make friends out of many if any locals. Sent from my LG-H820 using [URL="http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73733" said:
AlpineZone mobile app[/URL]

I thought the locals could ski there?

sull1102

I thought the locals could ski there?

Wilmington and Dover residents could, but it was never talked about or advertised certainly. They made it hard to find on the website and I remember only seeing a ticket price once and forget what it was, maybe in the $100 range. There were also some weird rules aking so someone like myself who lives fairly close by cannot buy a ticket but a guy living one town over can. It's a lot like beach parking permits haha.

jaytrem

Wilmington and Dover residents could, but it was never talked about or advertised certainly. They made it hard to find on the website and I remember only seeing a ticket price once and forget what it was, maybe in the $100 range. There were also some weird rules aking so someone like myself who lives fairly close by cannot buy a ticket but a guy living one town over can. It's a lot like beach parking permits haha.

I think it was around $80 last time I checked. May have gone up though. Would have been nice if the town negotiated a lift ticket price when they renewed the lease a few years ago. A good chunk of the area is on land owned by the town of Wilmington.

drjeff

Pretty sure it was also stated that one had to be a permanent resident of Wilmington or Dover, not a secondary home owner/part time resident of the 2 towns...

sull1102

http://www.dvalnews.com/view/full_s...ilings-show-troubles-?instance=home_news_left

Just gets worse and worse. The future of the Hermitage has never been more in doubt than it is today. There's no new money coming in, no property sales because of liens on everything(except that Dopp six pack), 20 lawsuits. At this point, with more and more coming out every week against the club and the season being wrapped up, why would any members give them a loan to get through the offseason. They've needed a loan to get through each offseason before and this time around they have bills to pay.

FBGM

And the moral of the story is stop putting nice things in crap depressing areas and economy’s.

Over under on how long before the junkies rip the copper out of the lodge and snowmaking wires to get that fix.

Drugs and bad mmmkay

sull1102

That White Knight would now need north of $8 million just to clean up the back taxes and negotiate some kind of deal with the bank. Then there's the other lawsuits from smaller parties but even those are worth a million bucks in most cases. In all it looks like it would take $30 million to get the place back debt free.

Initially I was thinking you could get a white knight or two together and sell the six pack to anyone for $6 million, maybe more since it has the absolute bare minimum weekends only no summer hours on it. It has been reported the club owns the lift outright so that's straight cash. You pay the taxes with that money and then you can get started with the other problems, but really is that going to be enough money? You would have to tell members it was this or die. You run the triple 3/4 up and a cat or a temp lift the rest of the way, there are ways to make it work for a couple years.

njdiver85

My guess is that the Hermitage will languish in bankruptcy proceedings that will take it well through this time next year or longer, at which point some wealthy members will be able to buy this thing back for pennies on the dollar. Suspect that this is the long term strategy at this point. Sadly, all the local vendors, property owners, contractors and the like, who are all owed large sums of money, will loose out on recovering most of what is owed them.