• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

2Planker

That sounds about right.... I know they weren't linked in anyway, cause I had to work a full schedule at each place......
ASC owner Cranmore and Waterville for not even a full year. Cranmore got the skimobile Express out of it and Waterville just got the now shortened White Peaks Express.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

I will have to disagree, as a 30 year Patroller at SR and The Cat, all thru the 90's w/ Less Otten's Buying Craze, WC was always a solo hill until the merger w/ Attitash

ASC did buy Waterville, BUT that only lasted 1-2 seasons as they were forced to sell it....

Read Downhill Slide by John Clifford

Probably then was just me taking advantage of the college rate then back when I was in dental school!

A day at Wildcat was always on my March vacation week plans back then!!

drjeff

Going to be interesting to see what happens.....

Members and employees from race coaches to snowmakers tell me that it's "business as usual" so far this year.....

Heck their snowmakers made enough snow over on one of the trails in their witches expert area that they actually had a moderate sized snowmaking avalanche 2 days ago that almost took out 2 of their employees!!!

Glenn

Wow, hope that gets sorted out. Wonder how many of the units there are own town services?

KustyTheKlown

I'm probably a jerk, but I get a certain schadenfreude when rich people's little playgrounds prove unsustainable.

VTKilarney

Heck their snowmakers made enough snow over on one of the trails in their witches expert area that they actually had a moderate sized snowmaking avalanche 2 days ago that almost took out 2 of their employees!!!

Well, you have to make snow when the water is still turned on.

I'm probably a jerk, but I get a certain schadenfreude when rich people's little playgrounds prove unsustainable.

Yeah, that's being a jerk. The investors didn't do anything wrong and certainly weren't investing in something that was a bad or evil thing.

njdiver85

$87,000 is pocket change for a club that just assessed their members $10k each. Seems like they are playing games, trying to see which bill they can put off for the longest period of time, with the least consequences.

KustyTheKlown

^yea, that. I just have very little in the way of sympathy for a bunch of richers who decided they were too good for the publicly available options, and their snotty children.

VTKilarney

^yea, that. I just have very little in the way of sympathy for a bunch of richers who decided they were too good for the publicly available options, and their snotty children.

I don't consider myself to be Hermitage Club rich, but I pay for things all of the time that are designed to give me some level of comfort. I often pay to fly first class, for example. I do so because it's nice not to be rubbing shoulders with the person in the seat next to you. When traveling between Boston and New York I don't take the bus. I take the train or fly. On my last vacation, I paid extra for a private shuttle to the resort rather than the shared van that was included in my package.

I'm not willing to throw a stone in a glass house. What's the point in having money if you don't spend a little bit of it on nice things.

Edd

$87,000 is pocket change for a club that just assessed their members $10k each. Seems like they are playing games, trying to see which bill they can put off for the longest period of time, with the least consequences.

No need to play by the rules of the poors. Paying your bills on time is for the weak, the suckers, the losers, amirite??? It’s the age of Trump, my friends! Screw everyone you can!

KustyTheKlown

I don't consider myself to be Hermitage Club rich, but I pay for things all of the time that are designed to give me some level of comfort. I often pay to fly first class, for example. I do so because it's nice not to be rubbing shoulders with the person in the seat next to you. When traveling between Boston and New York I don't take the bus. I take the train or fly. On my last vacation, I paid extra for a private shuttle to the resort rather than the shared van that was included in my package.

I'm not willing to throw a stone in a glass house. What's the point in having money if you don't spend a little bit of it on nice things.

those things are way different than joining some ridiculously priced rich persons ski club that doesn't even have good terrain. no one is spending "a little bit of it" to be a member there. they are spending outrageous amounts, and I am enjoying that their little club will be kaput.

Smellytele

Great that they made all that snow maybe they should pay their bills. i have nothing against the members just the people running the place at this moment. I couldn't care less about what the members spend their money on nor care about what happens to the place. I care about them paying their bills and not playing games with tax payers money. I have to pay my bills and so should they.

VTKilarney

One thing that is definitely troubling is that the little folks in town who remain users of the water system will get stiffed if they don't pay their bill.

WWF-VT

Looks like Biff and Muffy will have to have to pack a few extra gallons of Fiji Water this weekend

VTKilarney

Also the statement they made of "we employ 500 people you can't do this to us"

Well, let's be honest about this. For all of you folks cheering the demise of a rich people's playground, remember that people that are very far from rich will be losing their livelihood.

Smellytele

Well, let's be honest about this. For all of you folks cheering the demise of a rich people's playground, remember that people that are very far from rich will be losing their livelihood.

No matter how much you make - Rich people are people who make more than you. Poor people are those that make less than you.