• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

KustyTheKlown

To be more definitionally accurate, what you are is envious.

lol absolutely not. I have zero desire to be a part of a private members ski club, especially one at fucking haystack

I disdain exclusivity and privilege in a general sense, across the board

Cimarron club or Yellowstone club, maybe, at least the terrain walks the walk there. its still probably totally unnecessary. if you have the scratch to buy at those places, you have the scratch to travel all over the world to ski the best snow in the most luxurious accomodations. variety is the spice of life. and I bet revelstoke on a random Tuesday is pretty fuckin empty of other dirty members of the public. I'd much rather spend my (hypothetical) money hopping around from revelstoke, to japan, to Alaska, to chile in the summer, than having a $3mm home at one of those clubs.

hermitage is a status symbol for douchebags. I'm good on that.

Last edited:

VTKilarney

Cimarron club or Yellowstone club, maybe, at least the terrain walks the walk there. its still probably totally unnecessary. if you have the scratch to buy at those places, you have the scratch to travel all over the world to ski the best snow in the most luxurious accomodations.

It depends on what you value. Lots of people who have money work extremely long hours for that money. They can't take the time to fly all over the world, but they can get in the car on a Friday night for a few weekends of skiing. Perhaps they also value the camaraderie of a club and they don't want to be with strangers every time they go skiing.

I'm not saying that the Hermitage Club is for me, but I just don't get the entitled feeling of believing that you know best what is for someone else.

BenedictGomez

lol absolutely not. I have zero desire to be a part of a private members ski club, especially one at fucking haystack

Of course you are envious of their money, it's obvious.

We both share exactly the same opinion of Hermitage - the only difference is that you wish those people ill-will whereas I wish those people nothing but the best.

KustyTheKlown

I can have disdain for wealthy losers without being envious of them. thanks for telling me how I feel tho.

KustyTheKlown

It depends on what you value. Lots of people who have money work extremely long hours for that money. They can't take the time to fly all over the world, but they can get in the car on a Friday night for a few weekends of skiing. Perhaps they also value the camaraderie of a club and they don't want to be with strangers every time they go skiing.

I'm not saying that the Hermitage Club is for me, but I just don't get the entitled feeling of believing that you know best what is for someone else.

if you are going to Cimmarron or Yellowstone, you're going to some pretty remote places. I doubt any richer is driving to those places on Friday night.

VTKilarney

if you are going to Cimmarron or Yellowstone, you're going to some pretty remote places. I doubt any richer is driving to those places on Friday night.

Either I misunderstood your point or you misunderstood mine. All I am saying is that there are many rich people who can't take the time to go from New York City to Yellowstone to ski. But they can take the time to go to southern Vermont.

KustyTheKlown

Either I misunderstood your point or you misunderstood mine. All I am saying is that there are many rich people who can't take the time to go from New York City to Yellowstone to ski. But they can take the time to go to southern Vermont.

ah, yes, I did misread.

that is true, but I don't respect those people very much as skiers. choosing haystack because its exclusive, despite it being a shit hill. its a status symbol. I don't care for status symbols.

SnowRock

If you are a Yellowstone member you are wealthy. Herimtage folks are just rich.

I do agree re: the appeal.. its not I place for me even if I had that disposable income and must know a different type of rich person skier because most that would be in the target market for Hermitage are some of the better skiers I know and I can't imagine them being satisfied with the Haystack terrain.

Most with the type of cash for this already belong to a club or two (at home/beach) and can afford to splurge on great trips to ski. I know there is the snowmobiling side of things which I think opens it up to a broader group, but you really need a particular type of rich person who is going to be content with the Southern Vermont location for a club like hermitage. But hell, I look at the real states prices for Okemo compared to off mountain at Stowe and maybe I am totally wrong... i was actually surprised how many members they have already, but wonder if its been harder to grow that number after the initial influx (and during a record market run which may not bode well).

VTKilarney

but I don't respect those people very much as skiers.

I'm struggling to see why that matters. It's their life, not yours. Nobody is forcing YOU to ski at Hermitage.

I'm content knowing that there are different options for different people. They don't need my "respect" to take advantage of those options, and they don't lose my "respect" if they do. I'm just happy that they, as skiers, are happy. Don't we want happy skiers?

GregoryIsaacs

ah, yes, I did misread.

that is true, but I don't respect those people very much as skiers. choosing haystack because its exclusive, despite it being a shit hill. its a status symbol. I don't care for status symbols.

Just to be clear... have you ever even skied Haystack? Ive been there four times and its really not that terrible.. 1,400 vertical, "decent" steeps and some great tree lines (I could spend days in the Enchanted Forrest alone).

KustyTheKlown

I have skied haystack, but the last time I did was probably still the 20th century.

its a fine little hill for a $60/day public ticket. it's a stupid ass place for an exclusive private club.

GregoryIsaacs

Dont forget the summer golfing.. Im sure that drives some of the market

djd66

I just don't get it. $87,000 should be pocket change for a place like this. If they can not write a check for $87K - they should be shut down.

VTKilarney

I just don't get it. $87,000 should be pocket change for a place like this. If they can not write a check for $87K - they should be shut down.

It is pocket change when you look collectively at the net worth of the members. But perhaps the members are not willing to throw good money after bad. I certainly wouldn't want to be writing checks only to realize that I am the last person at the party.

I suspect that they will pay the money just in the nick of time, but this doesn't bode well for the long run.

djd66

It is pocket change when you look collectively at the net worth of the members. But perhaps the members are not willing to throw good money after bad. I certainly wouldn't want to be writing checks only to realize that I am the last person at the party.

I suspect that they will pay the money just in the nick of time, but this doesn't bode well for the long run.

If they don't pay - they should shut off all services and place a lien on the place.

TheArchitect

I can have disdain for wealthy losers without being envious of them. thanks for telling me how I feel tho.

Wealthy and losers are two words that don't really go together. Some people are wealthy because they inherited it and some because they worked hard. In neither case does that make them losers.

Last time I checked skiing in general was considered an elite sport. I guess to people who don't ski you're a wealthy loser and so am I. Except I'm not.