Haystack / Hermitage news - Page 55

AlpineZone

Page 55 of 80 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
    I'd like to think the Dopp 6 pack and the Skytrac quads would be okay or at least need minimum work. Then again members won't care to run the quad down to the inn for the one trail. To run that place at 100% operation you need 3 lifts, 2 if you give up on the lower mountain and keep Witches. So really in an average winter you need Barnstormer only for most operations and something like 20 days a year run Witches. Members might be satisfied with just a renamed 6 pack running and the clubhouse open.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Quote Originally Posted by sull1102 View Post
    I'd like to think the Dopp 6 pack and the Skytrac quads would be okay or at least need minimum work. Then again members won't care to run the quad down to the inn for the one trail. To run that place at 100% operation you need 3 lifts, 2 if you give up on the lower mountain and keep Witches. So really in an average winter you need Barnstormer only for most operations and something like 20 days a year run Witches. Members might be satisfied with just a renamed 6 pack running and the clubhouse open.

Agree. From what I understand, unless one owned one of the condo's/homes near the lower mountain area and was going to/from their property, about the only time the lower mountain saw much use was when either the Hermitage Race Team or the Mount Snow Academy alpine athletes (who trained at the Hermitage on Friday's and weekends and holiday weeks) set training courses there as opposed to on their homologated race trail, Rocker, up on the main mountain, so not running the lower quad would be an easy choice if it had to be made.

I'm guessing if they just ran the 6 pack, made some snow, and had the clubhouse, and possibly mid mountain lodge up and running, that the majority of members would be satisfied enough this coming season
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7 (Mount Snow)

They're going to have a tough time finding staff to work there given the way barnes treated them last year and the current financial state. Even if they pull off a miracle everywhere else, which includes finding grooming equipment, if theres no staff to run the place it's all a waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by icecoast1 View Post
    They're going to have a tough time finding staff to work there given the way barnes treated them last year and the current financial state. Even if they pull off a miracle everywhere else, which includes finding grooming equipment, if theres no staff to run the place it's all a waste of time
    I wonder if all the grooming equipment was picked up or if they owned on or two of them outright, maybe an older one from the first couple years. With Barnes gone completely and a new team just running barebones might find a way to lease a unit or two. They could get away with just one unit and one employee if the guy is experienced by keeping the weekends only schedule and grooming Thursday then hitting the main runs Friday, Saturday night. That's still an almost full time employee if they do 12hr shifts for the 3 days.

Realistically I think they'll need to figure out just how bare bones do they get. You could run the mountain with a team of 12 people total if everyone understands this is bare bones just to keep things running, people work as a team, and the weather cooperates.

2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Do they even have qualified lift mechanics left? They are not exactly growing on trees...

I still can't believe that this place was stupid enough to install a six pack chair...but if you're going to waste money you might as well go big.

I wonder if all the grooming equipment was picked up or if they owned on or two of them outright, maybe an older one from the first couple years. With Barnes gone completely and a new team just running barebones might find a way to lease a unit or two. They could get away with just one unit and one employee if the guy is experienced by keeping the weekends only schedule and grooming Thursday then hitting the main runs Friday, Saturday night. That's still an almost full time employee if they do 12hr shifts for the 3 days.

Realistically I think they'll need to figure out just how bare bones do they get. You could run the mountain with a team of 12 people total if everyone understands this is bare bones just to keep things running, people work as a team, and the weather cooperates.

Dude, you don't know what you are talking about.

12 people cannot run a ski area.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

12 people huh? Sometimes I like to answer the phone while making snow. Even better, I’ll make your burger and scrub the shitter at the same time. Sounds like a Mount Snow best practice there.

*If* from this ski area management Monday morning hypothetical quarterbacking we're doing here, one is talking purely, 100% from a mountain ops standpoint, and not a food and beverage and/or guest services standpoint, and you're talking about just snowmaking, grooming and lift ops, with a resort operating schedule that is typically just 3 days a week (holiday weeks excluded) and just running their 6 pack, and maybe the witches triple as well, a crew of 12 or thereabouts might be able to pull it off.

With the right 12, and remember that a few of their core ops people who essentially are "Jack's of all trades" are still employed to maintain the facilities now for future perspective buyers, the ops side could work. There were multiple times last year I read on a snowmakers FB group page, one of their lead snowmakers wishing that he had more than a crew of 3 per shift, so their snowmaking operations, in their fairly modern system that doesn't have a ton of capacity *could* be run very lean. Grooming, 1 maybe 2 cats, or more likely 1 shift with 2 cats or 2 cats with 1 shift, could likely handle the grooming needs of a mountain of that size (especially if the lower mountain trails and the trails that lead back to the Hermitage Inn aren't in play) under most weather conditions. Add in a few for lift maintenance (and I'm not necessarily putting the folks who would operate the lifts in this crew, just the maintenance crews who are out doing line checks before 1st chair and responding when a sensor up on a tower goes off mid day), and the number a crew of 12 for PURELY Mtn Ops, not food and beverage and guest services needs, might very well be able to pull it off
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7 (Mount Snow)

Should have been clear, I was speaking strictly about staff to run the ski area and maybe unlock the bathrooms and turn the heat and lights on inside the clubhouse at a member only resort that does not need to even have a front desk person if they don't want. Having worked there I know a little bit about what the operation entails and they could also cut Friday operations and hurt maybe 5 people. I was going to get into the bar and food staff etc but that's a different ballgame altogether and I'm not nearly as familiar. It is also all extra. We're talking about a one lift medium sized mountain running on the barest of bones being paid for out of pocket by members so they can have a private escape from Mount Snow crowds. I'd even say that if the weather started off bad they would not even attempt to open until Christmas break and would be very quick to pull the plug altogether.

2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Thread Information