• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

Zermatt

One thing that is definitely troubling is that the little folks in town who remain users of the water system will get stiffed if they don't pay their bill.

Nobody gets stiffed for unpaid water bills. That is a fully lien-able "tax like" obligation. Don't pay the water bill we have first lien on all your assets.

Zermatt

OCTOBER

Hermitage Club President James Barnes announced a plan to raise funding for vendor debt repayment, property tax payments, and operations through what he called a one-time membership dues adjustment. The adjustment essentially meant doubling existing membership fees for the year, which would raise $5.5 million. A large portion of the funds raised were earmarked to pay vendors and contractors who had filed dozens of liens on club properties, as well as delinquent taxes in Wilmington and Dover.

http://www.dvalnews.com/view/full_s...ews-in-second-half-of-2017?instance=news_page

Rowsdower

All I can say is that having, or not having money doesn't beget common sense. All parties involved here seem to be in over their heads.

I don't have any ill will towards those more fortunate than myself, but I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for people who make dumb decisions. The owners, and yeah, a lot of the people who bought into the idea of a private ski club at Haystack seem to me to lack a lot of common sense.

And that's just it. When you ski you're likely rubbing shoulders with the entire socio-economic spectrum. From ski bums sleeping in converted buses to wealthy fundies on vacation. And you know what, you never talk about it and I never ask. It's no big deal. But when it comes to decision making? A bad choice is a bad choice and deserves criticism.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nah, not so much as a hint of envy here.
Explain your logic. Is everyone jealous of the silver spoon crowd?

Seems to me Kusty is doing quite well for himself, travels wherever he wants to ski within reason and is generally content with his life.

I'm not seeing the"envy" because he doesn't care for the elitist country club lifestyle. If he ripped on the gang lifestyle would you call him envious too?

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
If anything, I think it's you who envy high wealth people. That envy magnified because you haven't reached that status despite your self proclaimed expertise on financial markets and numerous other subjects that make you deserving in your mind of a CEO position. You're basically projecting your own envy on Kusty.

Rowsdower

Not everyone wants to be monetarily wealthy. Hell, lots of people would say real wealth lies in things like family, friendship and a life spent doing the things you love.

BenedictGomez

What it doesn't mean is any feeling Krusty has towards the Heritage crowd.

When you wish bad things on good people because you despise them for something they have, that is the definition of envy. Especially when you do it repeatedly. Do you detest the Heritage people too? You seem pretty passionate about this.

If anything, I think it's you who envy high wealth people. That envy magnified because you haven't reached that status despite your self proclaimed expertise on financial markets and numerous other subjects that make you deserving in your mind of a CEO position. You're basically projecting your own envy on Kusty.

Well that certainly took an odd turn. Do not drink and post on Friday nights!

Not everyone wants to be monetarily wealthy. Hell, lots of people would say real wealth lies in things like family, friendship and a life spent doing the things you love.

Those would be the "healthy" people.

I grew up in the 3rd richest county in the richest country on the planet - I've known plenty of happy people who were rich, plenty of miserable people who were rich, plenty of happy people who were not rich, and plenty of miserable people who were not rich. It is absolutely 100% true that money does not "buy" happiness.

jaytrem

Fact, all private ski areas fail. Some faster than others.

That's not a fact at all, there are plenty of successful ones out there. Most are more low key. But I guess everything fails eventually, so you're some what correct. At some point all ski areas whether public or private will fail.

urungus

^yea, that. I just have very little in the way of sympathy for a bunch of richers who decided they were too good for the publicly available options, and their snotty children.

Careful what you wish for ... if Hermitage fails, their members - who you so despise - will have no place to go and will likely show up at your favorite hill.

deadheadskier

Staff member
When you wish bad things on good people because you despise them for something they have, that is the definition of envy. Especially when you do it repeatedly. Do you detest the Heritage people too? You seem pretty passionate about this.

Well that certainly took an odd turn. Do not drink and post on Friday nights!.

No,

Wishing bad things on people different than you might make you a jerk, but that isn't always rooted in the emotion of "envy".

I don't detest the members of the Hermitage at all. I don't share Kustys point of view. I really couldn't care less about the situation other than I feel the ownership is pushing the envelope of their financial obligations with late payments and that's not cool.

Not everyone wants the financial means of the country club lifestyle. Those that do, but can't achieve it would be the people who have envy. Not sure why this is so difficult for you to understand other than this being another example of your typical black and white stereotyping that you are known for.

Glenn

This thread and its sentiments make me dislike the internet a few notches today.

If you want to criticize management, the financial decisions and mistakes they made, I get that. Granted, we don't have access to their books or numbers, but it appears that mistakes were made. So, if you want to take them to task, I can understand.

What I can't get is ripping into people who joined the club and hoping the club fails. Seriously guys? I'm sure most of of these folks made a choice to join based on what the club offered and had no input into how the company runs its finances or pays it's taxes. It's kind of like looking at a company that has top brass that makes some bad financial decisions...then you crap all over the employees and cheer when they are suddenly out of a job.

I think any of us who ski are pretty fortunate in life. Most people on this forum are able to take days off work, drive hundreds of miles to slide down a mountain on gear that cost hundreds and into thousands of dollars. This whole activity is beyond discretionary. To rip on people for different levels of discretionary spending seems a bit trivial.

Hawkshot99

I may not be envious of the people who are members at the hermatage, but I am envious of having the ability to drop the amount of money it costs to be a member.
If I could have that level of $ life would be ALOT more relaxing. Work less, if at all and be able to enjoy life for myself doing the things I love.
Envy does not have to be a bad thing. Wishing bad on people because they have what you don't is a bad thing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app