• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

Pez

If I had Hermitage level money i'd buy a condo in that new Okemo South-side village thats going up. Place looks like it's going to be incredible and the location is perfect.

luckily I'll never have to worry about any of this :)

KustyTheKlown

Not everyone wants to be monetarily wealthy. Hell, lots of people would say real wealth lies in things like family, friendship and a life spent doing the things you love.

and this. I actively choose a lower paying job so that I can get a lot of time off and be done every day by 6. money is fairly low on my list of values. I just need enough to sleep and eat and ski. I don't need or want an exorbitant amount of it.

KustyTheKlown

yea, and I said in my very first post that I was being a jerk. the point is I am not envious, and that you are a consistent asshole, not to hypothetical rich people, but to posters on this board. get off your high horse you prick.

Glenn

internet-serious-business.jpg

Equinox

I figured that they would make an 11th hour payment. If I were the town I would cash that check quickly!

It seems you are correct. From the article, it appears that Hermitage also has taxes in arrears. It looks as if this is the first of many hurdles for this club. I hope that they can sort this out before the area ends up NELSAP or worse. While I'll never be able to ski there, I wish them the best.

VTKilarney

It seems you are correct. From the article, it appears that Hermitage also has taxes in arrears. It looks as if this is the first of many hurdles for this club. I hope that they can sort this out before the area ends up NELSAP or worse. While I'll never be able to ski there, I wish them the best.

At this point it seems like they are playing whack-a-mole with their accounts payables. I too wish them the best of luck, but I’m not sure how easy it will be to attract new members now. The NELSAP grim reaper is getting a little too close for comfort.

Last edited:

urungus

While I'll never be able to ski there, I wish them the best.

If you rent a room at the Hermitage Inn or one of their other properties, you can ski there, even if you are not a member. The rooms are expensive, but not as expensive as a membership :p I’ve been meaning to do this for some time, just to be able to cross it off my list of ski areas I haven’t visited. Might need to act quickly though, if the whole place is about to go under...

drjeff

At this point it seems like they are playing whack-a-mole with their accounts payables. I too wish them the best of luck, but I’m not sure how easy it will be to attract new members now. The NELSAP grim reaper is getting a little too close for comfort.

The reality is with as the article says, about 75% of their members paid the $10k special assessment, and in addition they did apparently up their annual dues from about 6k to 10k this year, that should put comfortably over 5 million (maybe over 7.5 million depending on how their dues are collected, i.e. lump sum options, quarterly option, etc) in liquid funds at their disposal short term, and then it comes down to can they get their real estate projects going, which based on how the club started up, was a key element in funding their day to day operations.

Additionally, they did buy a number of properties in the general Willmington/Dover area that they run as inns, restaurants, and in some cases employee housing options, that are also reflected in their tax situation that likely will need to be addressed to reflect a portfolio that is adequate for their actual needs vs potential future needs.....

BenedictGomez

Wow... $10k in annual dues. Honestly, I can't even imagine, haha.

Honestly, compared to many private golf courses, that's not bad at all. When you look at the prices they charge, I don't think it's unreasonable at all if you're their target demographic market, and assuming you don't mind their terrain.

Jcb890

Honestly, compared to many private golf courses, that's not bad at all. When you look at the prices they charge, I don't think it's unreasonable at all if you're their target demographic market, and assuming you don't mind their terrain.
Right, but aren't those usually higher-end really nice golf courses that are supposed to be great to play? I don't want to get into arguing about the terrain or what Hermitage offers for terrain, but I think we can all agree it isn't anything crazy.

I can't imagine $10k in annual dues for anything though, more just commenting on the luxury the place is. Nothing against them or their clientele, like I said, I wish I had the money to even consider it an option.

Jully

Right, but aren't those usually higher-end really nice golf courses that are supposed to be great to play? I don't want to get into arguing about the terrain or what Hermitage offers for terrain, but I think we can all agree it isn't anything crazy.

I can't imagine $10k in annual dues for anything though, more just commenting on the luxury the place is. Nothing against them or their clientele, like I said, I wish I had the money to even consider it an option.

Hermitage is a great place to ski for most skiers though. Consistently pitched, rolling blues with high speed lifts, gloriously fancy lodges, and extremely minimal crowds. For the average skier who skis at Sunapee, Okemo, Mount Snow, that is their definition of the perfect ski experience.

We all care a lot about 2k+ vert, rad cliff hucks, and hidden pow stashes, but many skiers don't even know what that means. Special terrain for most means corduroy past 1:00 pm.

My father would LOVE to be a member at Hermitage for the skiing (though he wouldn't care much for the fancy stuff). He skis 5-10 days a year with back issues, but used to ski 20+ days.

drjeff

One has to also remember that for many, fresh corduroy the majority, if not all day if it's not snowing out can be a very appealing prospect as well.....

Those of us that frequent AZ aren't always the best representation of what the masses that drive the skiing and snowboarding industry actually are. The majority of us here are definitely on the fringes of the "obsessed" range of the love of our sport range!! ;) :lol:

sull1102

Having worked at the club last year, sadly I'm not surprised by any of this. They'll make it through this year and probably a couple more, but Barnes being at the top seems doubtful to say the least. I would not be at all surprised if some members got together and tried to take it over from him in some way and clean things up. The clientele here never struck me as being thrilled with the rumors always circling around about finances and other things. They brought in a few new upper management people in the fall so that will also be interesting to watch. The terrain is good if you're into easy groomers, nothing special except for on powder days with the lack of crowds.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

One has to also remember that for many, fresh corduroy the majority, if not all day if it's not snowing out can be a very appealing prospect as well.....

Those of us that frequent AZ aren't always the best representation of what the masses that drive the skiing and snowboarding industry actually are.
The majority of us here are definitely on the fringes of the "obsessed" range of the love of our sport range!! ;) :lol:

So, what you're saying is, even if I do win the PowerBall, there probably wont be a limited grooming 25% / natural terrain 75% private ski resort I can join.