• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

x10003q

Big lottery win - Yellowstone Club. If you ever find yourself bored with the empty 2700 acres at the YC, there are 5800 acres of Big Sky that you can ski to.

SkiingInABlueDream

The one your thinking of was rarely used in the last years of the ASC era and torn down when the Hermitage started up. It however has been replaced with a new Skytrac Quad that somewhat follows the original line. It definitely has the mid station!

I skied haystack a good amount in the 80s and a handful of times through the early and mid 90s but I have no idea what lift you're talking about. I only remember 2 slow triples and an old double that was a bit less slow.
Clues?

Rowsdower

Just feels like a weird decision when people can buy condos at neighboring mountains with better terrain, more amenities and generally for a lot cheaper. The whole "exclusivity" thing really only works if what you're selling is better than whats on offer to the public.

Smellytele

Just feels like a weird decision when people can buy condos at neighboring mountains with better terrain, more amenities and generally for a lot cheaper. The whole "exclusivity" thing really only works if what you're selling is better than whats on offer to the public.

have you seen the lift lines at the neighboring mountain?

HD333

People want to be able to say they belong to the Fancy Pants private ski area, it isn't about the skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn

I would guess it has more to do with the lack of crowds. I can certainly see the advantage of not having to wait in line for the chair on a Saturday mid morning.

sull1102

The plot thickens...

http://www.reformer.com/stories/whisteblower-complaint-filed-against-hermitage-management,531369

So they paid the water bill at the last minute, but still have unpaid taxes. Now a guy hired in September 2017 to help right the ship, specifically in regards to membership sales and real estate, has been fired after three months on the job and felt the need to reach out to OSHA about what he saw going on with illegal money dealings(which sound INCREDIBLY familiar to my sources who worked there before)... Boy oh boy, how much longer we thinking this party will last?

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

The rumor from members that I've heard is that they, some of the majority equity status members, have a plan to keep the club out of Bankruptcy by taking it into receivership, where they'll be able to preserve assets (as opposed to a bankruptcy situation which would see likely asset liquidation to pay off the creditors), and get control away from Jim Barnes. One of the members, who apparently is a NYC finance guy, would be overseeing the taking of the club into receivership and restructuring the debt to keep the club open and operating (something most members want).

From having skied there this past Sunday, it certainly doesn't look like things are as ominous as the reports make it out to be with the full staffing levels, normal daily operations and probably 8 to 12 units of a mix of townhomes and single family homes under active construction in the general base area....

sull1102

The rumors don't come as a surprise at all. Always felt there were some members maybe more experienced with matters relating to the club than Barnes. Maybe they can make it work somehow, but clearly things will be scaled down. Goodbye fancy hotel up where the maintenance area currently is I would think.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Barnes will be ousted soon... The club will go into receivership vs bankruptcy. The members, via receivership will restructure debt. Some of the large amount of regional properties Barnes bought, will be liquidated. The Hermitage, via it's deep pocketed member's, won't cease to exist

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

Barnes will be ousted soon... The club will go into receivership vs bankruptcy. The members, via receivership will restructure debt. Some of the large amount of regional properties Barnes bought, will be liquidated. The Hermitage, via it's deep pocketed member's, won't cease to exist

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

That may be true, but even if this happens it will essentially eliminate any chance of significant further investment. The club better figure out how to run with what it has.

Killingtime

So I got an offer through facebook to ski at a private area near Killington called Plymouth Notch. $85.00 for the day includes lunch buffet. I'm thinking Hermitage may have to start doing something similar if they haven't already and sell a limited number of day passes to get some additional revenue in. Plus, I gives them a chance to try to sell some memberships. The old timeshare sales theory, if they can get you there, a certain % of people will buy.