• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

sull1102

As far as I know they are only allowed to sell something like 250 tickets a day to residents of Wilmington, Dover, and the surrounding towns. The way most people that actually live here and don't just visit their second home think about the Hermitage I don't see them selling many tickets at all, like maybe 10 total on a good day. There is no real base lodge, the clubhouse is AMAZING in every possible way, but it is very much a clubhouse like what you would find at a country club. They just are not really set up to welcome people in like a normal ski area at all. Parking is horrid, they've wiped out a lot of possible parking area with houses and condos too.

drjeff

Lots of rumors today amongst my friends with connections to the Hermitage that something big is imminent...

Rumors from the doors are going to be locked and employees may not get paid this next pay cycle all the way up to the finance board of the Hermitage has an offer to buy out Jim Barnes and he put a bigger counter offer back at them....

Confirmed that lifts are spinning there today and that it was crowded by Hermitage standards....

Get your popcorn ready....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

benski

Lots of rumors today amongst my friends with connections to the Hermitage that something big is imminent...

Rumors from the doors are going to be locked and employees may not get paid this next pay cycle all the way up to the finance board of the Hermitage has an offer to buy out Jim Barnes and he put a bigger counter offer back at them....

Confirmed that lifts are spinning there today and that it was crowded by Hermitage standards....

Get your popcorn ready....

Do they have Presidents week crowds there being private? Other than that, crowds could also be due to people trying to gram in a final few days there.

sull1102

They'll be open this week so that's a change. Not sure it will be much of a crowd, but vacation week does mean that maybe a lot of members are in town. If something big was going to happen it probably helps to have people in town. I'm sure Barnes will be around. Totally agree that there could be some more people in town just trying to get in some last days at the "club"

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

mriceyman

I heard the bachelor is going there from the wife? Wonder what that cost

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

I heard the bachelor is going there from the wife? Wonder what that cost

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
ABC apparently paid them some $$ for shooting the Bachelor there back in December. The 1st episode shot on sight aired this past week..

A members meeting was apparently held tonight, and per a member friend of mine who was at a party my family was at as well, as he put it... If they could of lynched Jim Barnes, they would have..... And another $3k assessment for the buy out is apparently on the table.....

Zermatt

When Ascutney failed the creditors pillaged the infrastructure of the mountain. Selling it off piece by piece. Just saying.

drjeff

When Ascutney failed the creditors pillaged the infrastructure of the mountain. Selling it off piece by piece. Just saying.
Yup, that's apparently exactly why the members, many of whom are in the finance/banking industry, want to have it go into receivership vs bankruptcy.. Some of my lawyer friends were trying to explain to me how this would prevent the banks who hold the loans from selling off the assets.

sull1102

Thinking a short move maybe oh five miles up the road or maybe a little further north at Stratton where the new owners might want a shiny new toy and the heated seats certainly fit the clientele.

EDIT: I totally forgot about the two new Skytrac quads that are prime targets for a smaller mountain. And don't forget these lifts have the absolute minimum hours on them from weekend only ops and no early or late season ops.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

#1 - you need to throw most common logic out the door with the Hermitage and it's ownership and memberships ability to make up for the ownership and their passion and pride in their club....

#2 - IF, and it's a BIG if, some of their lifts went to liquidation, the loose rumor in the immediate area is that their bubble six pack could be bought my Mount Snow and installed at Carinthia, where post new Carinthia base lodge completion, they WILL need more lift capacity, and then move the Carinthia quad into Sunbrook....

#3 - Hermitage members cash wise.... A member, who's kid compete for the Mount Snow ski academy, at their annual fundraiser this past weekend, basically told the other folks at the fundraiser dinner auction, that he would win all the big ticket auction items (among which was a full week in a 7000 sq ft penthouse suite at Vail with a 30k retail value) bought close to 50k worth of items....

This is a big $$, big ego situation, where most common logic needs to be thrown out the window....

drjeff

#1 - you need to throw most common logic out the door with the Hermitage and it's ownership and memberships ability to make up for the ownership and their passion and pride in their club....

#2 - IF, and it's a BIG if, some of their lifts went to liquidation, the loose rumor in the immediate area is that their bubble six pack could be bought my Mount Snow and installed at Carinthia, where post new Carinthia base lodge completion, they WILL need more lift capacity, and then move the Carinthia quad into Sunbrook....

#3 - Hermitage members cash wise.... A member, who's kid compete for the Mount Snow ski academy, at their annual fundraiser this past weekend, basically told the other folks at the fundraiser dinner auction, that he would win all the big ticket auction items (among which was a full week in a 7000 sq ft penthouse suite at Vail with a 30k retail value) bought close to 50k worth of items....

This is a big $$, big ego situation, where most common logic needs to be thrown out the window....

Newpylong

Yup, that's apparently exactly why the members, many of whom are in the finance/banking industry, want to have it go into receivership vs bankruptcy.. Some of my lawyer friends were trying to explain to me how this would prevent the banks who hold the loans from selling off the assets.

Receivership is still part of the bankruptcy process but differs from Liquidation in how the assets are handled.

sull1102

3.7 miles is a quite an easy move, and it probably lines up pretty well as far as line length and all those fun little details...

One idea I had was that worst case scenario the club could realistically sell the 6 pack off to pay down debts. They could use the Poma triple that appears to be in good shape and covers 85-90% of terrain with access to the mid mountain cabin intact, witches also still easy to reach. Long term they could put in a quad, but short term why not throw up a T-bar from the cabin to the summit. The 6-pack is entirely overkill meant to stroke someones ego where it sits now.

The 60 degree temps tomorrow and Wednesday are sure going to put the pressure on Barnes to turn on the snow guns again soon, if he can afford it.

Smellytele