• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

deadheadskier

Staff member
Burke was going to buy Ascutney's HSQ for $1.5M. They backed out because of the cost of removal and moving it and went new. It appears it cost Peak $1.5M to move and install that lift.

Based upon those figures from 5-6 years ago and the HS6 involving much more equipment, I think a fair estimate to move and install that lift at Snow would cost north of $2M. So, if they were to purchase that lift at $7M it would cost basically the same as a brand new lift.

$5M (+installation) is a much more reasonable figure, especially considering Hermitage has basically no bargaining position unless there are multiple resorts interested in the product.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

NYDB

Maybe new kidderbrook lift. the stratton bogner crowd has to be getting jealous that they have no heated enclosed lifts and are forced to sit outdoors with the plebes when not riding in the gondola.

drjeff

*IF* Barnstormer comes up for sale and Mount Snow goes after it, one complicating factor should they consider it for Sunbrook, is where would the bubble storage barn go? Down at the base of Sunbrook, there's not a ton of room between the current base terminal of Beartrap and the current base terminal of Sunbrook, and there's a fairly sizeable (maybe 15 to 20 ft deep) ravine that runs from basically across from the Beartrap queue to the Hermitage side of the current queue area for the Sunbrook Quad that limits access there. And up at the summit, that's all USFS land that would have to be permitted for the sizeable footprint for the storage building. Both base and summit terminal footprints for a HS lift are already larger than fixed grip terminals, and that's before you add in a storage barn footprint for bubbles if one goes that route as well as the likely larger footprint around the base terminal for queue area presuming that more folks would head back to Sunbrook and make some laps once a highspeed goes in....

sull1102

*IF* Barnstormer comes up for sale and Mount Snow goes after it, one complicating factor should they consider it for Sunbrook, is where would the bubble storage barn go? Down at the base of Sunbrook, there's not a ton of room between the current base terminal of Beartrap and the current base terminal of Sunbrook, and there's a fairly sizeable (maybe 15 to 20 ft deep) ravine that runs from basically across from the Beartrap queue to the Hermitage side of the current queue area for the Sunbrook Quad that limits access there. And up at the summit, that's all USFS land that would have to be permitted for the sizeable footprint for the storage building. Both base and summit terminal footprints for a HS lift are already larger than fixed grip terminals, and that's before you add in a storage barn footprint for bubbles if one goes that route as well as the likely larger footprint around the base terminal for queue area presuming that more folks would head back to Sunbrook and make some laps once a highspeed goes in....
Very late response, but I could see nitro lightly refurbished moved to Sunbrook and Barnstormer to Carinthia. Still not leaving much room for the barn though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

That seems the obvious choice to me. Putting a 6 on Sunbrook would be a complete waste.
Unless they go all out and try to expand that pod with another trail or two to the side, better access to North Face via the summit, and build a small eating option with 50+ seats. Then you have a very viable full/half day escape from Main Face. Also depends on the health of Nitro, could be in it's last legs for all we know.

Someone must also want those very nice fixed grip quads Skytrac built. Maybe Challenger or Outpost could see an upgrade as well.

drjeff

Very late response, but I could see nitro lightly refurbished moved to Sunbrook and Barnstormer to Carinthia. Still not leaving much room for the barn though.

I was told by multiple folks with some knowledge as to the decision making thought process of the mountain off the record, that because of the common clientele of Carinthia, and the likelihood that a bubble would probably be stickered/scratched/smoked up, that *IF* Barnstormer comes up for auction/purchase in a timely fashion, that Carinthia is far from the 1st place it's installation would be considered for.....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

I was told by multiple folks with some knowledge as to the decision making thought process of the mountain off the record, that because of the common clientele of Carinthia, and the likelihood that a bubble would probably be stickered/scratched/smoked up, that *IF* Barnstormer comes up for auction/purchase in a timely fashion, that Carinthia is far from the 1st place it's installation would be considered for.....

That makes me happy because it suggests Carinthia is here to stay the way it is and as I've surely mentioned before I do have my doubts about that.

I wonder if they would be crazy enough to install a second six pack bubble out of the base area on the main face. Grand Summit certainly hasn't been the most reliable lift on the hill for a couple years now...

Newpylong

If they don't want it in Carinthia, Canyon fits the profile almost to the foot ~5500 length/1100 vert. Then move that lift to Sunbrook...

If it was longer you could do some interesting things in Sundance with it.

Or maybe they would simply do a 1 for 1 swap on Sunbrook and be done with it.

Who knows.

sull1102

I didn't even think of Sundance. I don't think that lodge is long for this world. If I remember correctly they had long term plans of bulldozing that area and moving maintenance over there.

Pez

I didn't even think of Sundance. I don't think that lodge is long for this world. If I remember correctly they had long term plans of bulldozing that area and moving maintenance over there.

That would be a bummer. Old school feel to it and the parking / walk is easy.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jg17

I'm not sure if moving the six pack to Snow makes a ton of sense, since it would be a one off as the lone Doppelmayr among Poma/Leitner-Poma detachables. It would fit in better over at Stratton since they just built a Doppelmayr quad of the same generation last year. I would be surprised to see Snow move away from LPOA with all the existing lifts.

Buying the two Skytracs though, I think would be a good move. At least one of them would be good on North Face, and there's plenty of options across the mountain to replace a second aging Yan. Since Snow hasn't built any fixed grips in decades, it would be a good opportunity to build the relationship with Skytrac as they look to upgrade more lifts in coming years, especially since Skytrac is part of the LPOA family.

thebigo

Barnstormer is also a perfect fit vertical and lengthwise for rams head and I believe the rfid gate was built for six.

Of course everything else at k is poma.

Newpylong

The only remote fit for one of the Skytracs would be Heavy Metal, even then they would need a new haul rope minimal, possibly additional towers and more HP. Both lifts at the Hermitage are short, low vert and small motors. Low capacity transfer lifts. I don't see MS going away from straight LP lifts either.

sull1102

The only remote fit for one of the Skytracs would be Heavy Metal, even then they would need a new haul rope minimal, possibly additional towers and more HP. Both lifts at the Hermitage are short, low vert and small motors. Low capacity transfer lifts. I don't see MS going away from straight LP lifts either.

For the right price, aka bankruptcy auction levels, I could see some combination of Heavy Metal, Discovery Shuttle, Beartrap, and/or Seasons. It would help a lot that Skytrac is now owned by Poma. I could also see it being either they get Barnstormer OR the two sky tracs. Hell, the two Poma Alpha triples are also in good shape. Basically, this could be a weird moment in time where Mount Snow could upgrade 50% of their lift infrastructure for 50% of the cost.

drjeff

I'm not sure if moving the six pack to Snow makes a ton of sense, since it would be a one off as the lone Doppelmayr among Poma/Leitner-Poma detachables. It would fit in better over at Stratton since they just built a Doppelmayr quad of the same generation last year. I would be surprised to see Snow move away from LPOA with all the existing lifts.

Buying the two Skytracs though, I think would be a good move. At least one of them would be good on North Face, and there's plenty of options across the mountain to replace a second aging Yan. Since Snow hasn't built any fixed grips in decades, it would be a good opportunity to build the relationship with Skytrac as they look to upgrade more lifts in coming years, especially since Skytrac is part of the LPOA family.
True, essentially all of Mount Snow's high speed lifts are L-P (short of the steel of the lift and terminal towers the Grand Summit has over the years been essentially fully rebuilt by L-P) however, Peak as a company does have Dopp lifts, and I'm guessing that Dopp would gladly service a transplanted Barnstormer *if* it ever moves to Mount Snow... Would likely be a more financially beneficial situation for Dopp than what they're getting from Barnstormer now. And keeping in business with Peak *could* have benefits down the road for Dopp....

FBGM

Had anyone asked Perdue Pharma yet what they think? Since they make the decisions now? How many OxyContin pills equals a chair lift?