• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

chuckstah

loon just sent an email with a promo video for kanc8. where on the moutnain will they be putting it? hopefully t2b augmenting the gondola?
The kanc 8 will replace the Kank quad, at the West Basin. Not TTB. The Kank 4 is then most likely replacing 7 Brothers 3, improving movement out of the gondy area.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

Dickc

MEtoVTSkier

I think you'll be proven right. I'd think that for the real estate buyer, that the lift is worth more where it sits, than allowing it to be bought cheaply and moved.

drjeff

I think you'll be proven right. I'd think that for the real estate buyer, that the lift is worth more where it sits, than allowing it to be bought cheaply and moved.

I'm thinking that the new real estate buyer, if they could get both the lift and the existing real estate for say 10 million, would be quite happy.

And real estate wise, there's a bunch of land there, and a few sites that there slated for development that have had some basic infrastructure work done already (basic clearing, some utility work, etc) .

Additionally, with the crowding situation at Mount Snow now, former members of the Hermitage (and there are still a fair number of them who have chosen to stay in the area and continue to enjoy what the region offers year round) would be interested in a new version of what they had, with some new ownership and probably more open communication of what's going on, are rejoining *should* the potential exist at some point. Time will tell

slatham

So no ski area management or ownership track record. No current holdings in the NE. Have they managed a club before (can't be anything else)? I hope they have someone on the team who knows the ski business or this will be repeat.

cdskier

So no ski area management or ownership track record. No current holdings in the NE. Have they managed a club before (can't be anything else)? I hope they have someone on the team who knows the ski business or this will be repeat.

But they've owned car washes! Surely that experience must be applicable to a ski area! :roll:

drjeff

I'm guessing they enter into an agreement with a ski area operations company (who knows, maybe even Boyne??) and they operate the property development, golf course, the various Inn's in the deal, food and beverage operations, etc, and then have the ski area professionals operate the resort.

Not unlike in the country club world these days where you have name courses owning their property and clubhouses, but have course operating companies, often with reciprocal play opportunities and/or multi course memberships, such as Troon Golf, operate the day to day play and maintenance functions

I agree though that on the surface, if these developers, with apparently no experience in ski operations, try and run The Hermitage on their own, that sounds like a recipe for disaster....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

first item of business needs to be getting rid of that awful 'hermitage' name and branding and becoming haystack again.

MG Skier

SO...car washes.....in the TV show Breaking Bad the money laundering was done through the car wash...... Haha.
I imagine flipping a ski property would take some time, I hope they have a good plan and can save the mountain. I agree keeping the lift would be key as opposed to bringing in a used quad or other chair.

machski

I'm guessing they enter into an agreement with a ski area operations company (who knows, maybe even Boyne??) and they operate the property development, golf course, the various Inn's in the deal, food and beverage operations, etc, and then have the ski area professionals operate the resort.

Not unlike in the country club world these days where you have name courses owning their property and clubhouses, but have course operating companies, often with reciprocal play opportunities and/or multi course memberships, such as Troon Golf, operate the day to day play and maintenance functions

I agree though that on the surface, if these developers, with apparently no experience in ski operations, try and run The Hermitage on their own, that sounds like a recipe for disaster....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
If I were an owner at Hermitage, I wouldn't trust anyone coming in not called Cross Harbour Partners.

As to Boyne's bid on Barnstormer, I seriously would doubt they will get into much of a bidding war for it. Can't imagine their number goes any higher than about $4 mil. Given the $$ it will take to remove, package it up, ship it, reinstall (probably after some re-engineering for it's new home by Dopp), any more than that to get said asset and you probably would be better off just starting from scratch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

All they would need to do is find the right GM with ski industry experience to run the place. Doesnt really matter what they've done in the past if they find the right people and dont try to micromanage

Method9455

What does a fixed grip quad cost? I'm wondering what the minimum cost for re-opening Haystack looks like, it might be cheaper to buy the mountain and buy a different lift than to buy the mountain and buy the existing 6 heated seat bubble lift.