• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

cdskier

Now that article was at least humorous...unlike the Okemo "news" which was rather boring.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Yeah this is legit.
The motel will include a Crisports Snack Bar selling their signature Otterburger ($19.99), and a lounge where skiers and riders can enjoy Vermont’s finest craft beers served in 4-oz. juice glasses for less than the price of a tank of gas.

slatham

Very funny and creative. Only thing that could have made it funnier was if he planned to by Magic!

thetrailboss

Staff member
No sympathy. Really think they should open to the public. It was already a low volume area so why the heck not?

I hate to be negative, but when I heard their plans I thought that they were absurd. But then they got things going and spent some money on some serious upgrades, but I still did not think it made sense. Now they are asking their members to pony up.

mbedle

Like I said in the other post about this, it will never be open to the public, condition of the Mount Snow sale.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Define "never". Lot of folks once had "lifetime" passes to Killington. A change in ownership negated that. I'm not it needs to open to the public, but as they say, "never say never."

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawkshot99

Define "never". Lot of folks once had "lifetime" passes to Killington. A change in ownership negated that. I'm not it needs to open to the public, but as they say, "never say never."

I do not know how long never is, but this is not uncommon. When Jiminy Peak sold Brodie they put in the deed that it could not be a public ski mtn again. It wad originally bought to be a private mtn with condos (called snow leaf) but that was not realistic for the location.

It may be a # of years, but not sure.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

mbedle

True on never say never. My guess is that they put a deed restriction on the property (i.e., no public skiing and only club access to lift serviced skiing). In other words it would not be part of the sale agreement, but tied directly to the land.

Newpylong

If it's in the deed then never is never. K reneging on lifetime passes was much simpler, the entity that owned the mountain (assets transferred) changed and the lifetime passes were only good for the life of Sherburne/SKI/LBO/ASC.

jaytrem

I'm about 95% sure it was just a 10 year restriction. That would be expired at this point. Sale was announced in 2005. Miss skiing over there on crowded Mount Snow weekends.

Quick search reveals it might still be in effect if it has to actually "operate", forgot about the buy back clause, anyway, from Deerfield Valley News...

“The winter activities and downhill skiing are deed restricted. The resort must operate for 10 years on a private basis and if after 10 years the owner (Barnes) wishes to go public, it has to be offered back to (former owner) Mount Snow. There are no plans to go public based on the investments made, and the private club has gone swimmingly, especially with the advent of opening a new base lodge.”

Fisher reiterated that the resort’s summer activities would not be deed restricted and it would ultimately be up to Barnes to decide on the public’s access.

Last edited:

benski

“The winter activities and downhill skiing are deed restricted. The resort must operate for 10 years on a private basis and if after 10 years the owner (Barnes) wishes to go public, it has to be offered back to (former owner) Mount Snow. There are no plans to go public based on the investments made, and the private club has gone swimmingly, especially with the advent of opening a new base lodge.”

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Mount Snow could also mean the ASC

drjeff

Mount Snow could also mean the ASC
That's where it goes into the gray area. Since the parties involved in the original sale, ASC, and the previous owners of Haystack (I forgot their development companies name, but they built the Greenspring and Kingswood townhome developments at Mount Snow) are no longer involved, and at least on the ASC side, no longer in existence. So who knows how it would hold up in court should Jim Barnes or Peak Resorts challenge some issue??

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app