Bretton Woods New Gondola Lift

AlpineZone

Bretton Woods New Gondola Lift

We took the opportunity to visit BW today and take a ride up to have lunch. They were running the new gondola today and some employees and execs actually rode in it.

The Gondola crosses over the existing lift.

I am thinking great.... this is right next to Mt Washington, windiest area on the planet. Now they have these sails, I mean gondolas, and they are sending them way up in the air, past the protection of the trees to clear the existing lift. Wonder how that will work.

Gratuitous hazy picture of Mt Washington.

And the Mt Washington Hotel:

And the new restaurant which is slated to open next Summer or so...

This is directly up the hill from the current restaurant.

Just some pictures of the progress!
    lovin life,

Bob

It's the least affected large mountain by wind in New England, save for Magic. The windholds for the gondola while more frequent than their existing lifts, will still be minimal.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    It's the least affected large mountain by wind in New England, save for Magic. The windholds for the gondola while more frequent than their existing lifts, will still be minimal.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    You beat me to it. That has long been a marketing line for them. And BW is nowhere near as high as Mount Washington. That said, it is high up there and will be impacted by whatever wind there is. I imagine that they must have done wind studies before sticking those towers up that high (or maybe not).
    Live, Ski, or Die!

I went to Cannon earlier this year and the entire mountain was closed due to wind. Went to BW and all lifts running fast and not a breath of wind.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

We will see on the Gondola. As I recall, when BW announced the project, they leaned the Gondola much more towards Summer operations in the announcement. So while it will operate in the winter, that wasn't necessarily this projects target impact for the resort. I took that to mean, if it is affected by wind, no love lost. I also believe hearing it only has half the cabins it could have to start. So it is not a very high capacity lift at this point

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Nice photos- thanks for posting
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    I took that to mean, if it is affected by wind, no love lost.
    That’s my first thought. The lifts are there for the windy days.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    We will see on the Gondola. As I recall, when BW announced the project, they leaned the Gondola much more towards Summer operations in the announcement. So while it will operate in the winter, that wasn't necessarily this projects target impact for the resort. I took that to mean, if it is affected by wind, no love lost. I also believe hearing it only has half the cabins it could have to start. So it is not a very high capacity lift at this point

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
    I, too, read that it has less than the full number of gondolas that it can handle.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information