• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack / Hermitage news

Domeskier

In the back of my head though, for a multitude of reasons, there's at best a 1 in 4 chance that Vail makes a move on The Hermitage and takes on the permitting challenges of connecting the 2.

Or maybe they could run it as a separate luxury destination without the private club element. The basic infrastructure is already there. Market is as a high-end spa with skiing for the kids. Basically a Vail-East experience for people too busy to go West. I guess that maybe cuts in one of Stowe's target demographics, though.

mister moose

I'm sure it's actually further than it looks, but every time I play that hole, including last Friday, it seems like the end of the runway there isn't much more than 100, maybe 150 yards from the edge of the left rough.

Guesstimating off google maps, it's about 370 feet from the numbers to the centerline of the fairway. At a standard approach angle for an airplane trying to stick the numbers before the flare, that puts you 23 feet above runway elevation when you're over the fairway.

There's not very many places you need a horn for an airplane, but that might be one of them.

drjeff

Guesstimating off google maps, it's about 370 feet from the numbers to the centerline of the fairway. At a standard approach angle for an airplane trying to stick the numbers before the flare, that puts you 23 feet above runway elevation when you're over the fairway.

There's not very many places you need a horn for an airplane, but that might be one of them.

*IF* the that airport ever reopens, I'll make sure NOT to tell my son this, as one of his "favorite" things to do when at a golf driving range is to try and hit the range picking vehicle if it's out there.... I'm sure in the mind of a teenage male, especially if he was out on the course with some of his other teenage male ski and golf buddies and a plane was on approach, it wouldn't be that far of a leap in their minds to say "range cart target" ='s "airplane" ;-)

icecoast1

As TB alluded, the trustee is mandated to get the best deal for the assets as possible so creditors get the best possible recovery. If that means being sold together as one business, then great. If not, selling the chairlifts to the highest bidder(s) and the fixed assets at the base to others is the next best option.

I think Vail is the best chance at a sale as a going concern, though. They have the most to gain from Haystack out of anyone - especially if they can run it as part of Mount Snow. Otherwise, the value of the individual assets probably exceed the value of the business as a going concern.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

There was a group of members trying to buy it from Barnes before it got this bad and he refused. But who knows if they would still be interested in it.

raisingarizona

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.airnav.com/airport/4V8

I've flown there, it's a sidewalk in a hilly area with a weak instrument approach. That means tough to get in when you have lots of low overcast, like in the winter. It's a short runway, 2.600 feet, so that means a single engine or something llike a Cape Air 402, not a jet. Still, it's a runway far closer to a ski area than anywhere else I can think of in the east.
[/FONT]

The runway may be short but I’m more intrigued by all of that above tree line terrain just left of the ski area summit. Any chance to get a lift up there into those alpine snowfields?

WWF-VT

The runway may be short but I’m more intrigued by all of that above tree line terrain just left of the ski area summit. Any chance to get a lift up there into those alpine snowfields?

LOL..the only "snowfields" that exist are in the artist's picture of the mountain.

GregoryIsaacs

LOL..the only "snowfields" that exist are in the artist's picture of the mountain.

Correct, this area is not snowfields, but judging by the unique shape of haystacks summit (some people have even claimed its a dormant volcano) Id say that there would be some good back-country vertical in the area over Haystack Pond.

Anyone ever have a chance to ski that area of the summit?

Of the few times ive skied there, Id say the Enchanted Forrest Glades are as good (and empty) as they get for New England Tree Skiing

sull1102

Per an Instagram post, Mount Snow snow makers removed some Techno Alpin fans from the Hermitage over the past week after Papa Vail won them at auction.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Pez

IMG_2680.jpg

I hiked mount snow back in September and on the way home took a detour. With stuff being sold off it seems like the end of the road.

drjeff

icecoast1

View attachment 25546

I hiked mount snow back in September and on the way home took a detour. With stuff being sold off it seems like the end of the road.

Depends on how it ends up being sold, if it gets sold in one piece then there's probably a good chance of it surviving, if it goes in pieces then yes it's probably doomed. This sale of snowguns was separate from the main foreclosure/sale of the mountain

sull1102

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I wonder where Boyne wants to send the 6 pack, maybe Sunday River?

That lift has 5,400' length, 1,200' rise.

Off the top of my head logical places to put that that are owned by Boyne-

Kanc Quad at Loon
Aurora at SR
Tempest at SR
Barker at SR

Not familiar enough with Sugarloaf to speculate.

chuckstah

Kanc Quad at Loon
Aurora at SR
Tempest at SR
Barker at SR

Almost certainly Barker at SR.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

thebigo

Kanc Quad at Loon
Aurora at SR
Tempest at SR
Barker at SR

Would have to think Barker is the most likely, good fit profile wise and in desperate need of replacement.

sull1102

Kanc Quad is up for permitting to go to an 8 person detach so that knocks that off the list too. However, I could see Boyne scrubbing that plan and saying let's save some coin and get the marketing push with the first bubble and heated six pack in NH.