• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

halfpintvt

VTKilarney

Joel made a career change after realizing his true passion was working with small to medium size business owners on a more intimate level

Right......

VTKilarney

Wow,I have a Sandler training co as a tenant in my building.Didn't realize how huge they are.

It looks like you either buy a franchise or work for someone who owns a franchise. His business address just happens to be in a building that has a Regus shared office space. I'm not positive that he is using Regus, but it would not surprise me. From what little I have read online, it seems like starting out with Sandler can be tough because you have to develop a clientele. That's why his business' Facebook page shows that he is going around giving free lectures to any club or organization that will have him. The other Facebook entries are those pre-packaged articles that pretend to say something but are really just marketing devices.

It looks like he is definitely paying the price for getting tied up with Quiros. Heck, moving from Miami to Pittsburgh is punishment enough.

thetrailboss

Staff member
www.linkedin.com/in/keepitsimpletraining

Joel Burstein

President & Owner at Keep it Simple Training and Development

Greater Pittsburgh AreaProfessional Training & Coaching
Current
  1. SANDLER TRAINING - Keep it Simple Training and Development
Previous
  1. Financial Services
Education
  1. University of Miami School of Business Administration
Websites
  1. Personal Website

www.facebook.com/Keepitsimpletraining/

So is he offering training on how to run a Ponzi scheme and NOT get caught?

LONGBOARDR

Beautiful day here in the kingdom
Still lots of snow here, few people
One tram car is off the ropes with a hoist of some type suspended under the carriage.
It was up loading materials to tower 2, pretty cool.
New tower saddles next to the water park, these doppelmayr guys are on it.

Glad that good news is hitting all over the NEK bout time

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
One tram car is off the ropes with a hoist of some type suspended under the carriage.

I'll be at Jay this weekend playing in a hockey tournament. I'll try to get some shots of the tram work it I get a chance :)

thetrailboss

Staff member

What a difference a year makes. The Receiver and his management team deserve a lot of credit. The locals who have come to work everyday and kept a good attitude and worked hard deserve even more credit.

VTKilarney

Jay Peak is reporting a $9 million profit this year. That's a 1.5% return on the approximately $600 million EB-5 investment, assuming that the resort would not have posted a profit otherwise.

It's nice to see a profit. Hopefully some on-mountain improvements will follow.

Jully

Jay Peak is reporting a $9 million profit this year. That's a 1.5% return on the approximately $600 million EB-5 investment, assuming that the resort would not have posted a profit otherwise.

It's nice to see a profit. Hopefully some on-mountain improvements will follow.

That seems like a very big margin! Good for them. Seems less impressive when you see the $600 million investment... But still.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Except for the fact that the $600M involves infrastructure that will generate returns for many, many decades. It's not an irrelevant figure to think about, but all resorts/hotels require massive amounts of start up capital.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

benski

That seems like a very big margin! Good for them. Seems less impressive when you see the $600 million investment... But still.

didn't they supposedly pay hundreds of thousands for a tuning machine at burke. I know it was something absurd like that. and they some of that 600 million was stolen. I bet an honest business man would have done the same projects for much less.

BenedictGomez

Except for the fact that the $600M involves infrastructure that will generate returns for many, many decades. It's not an irrelevant figure to think about, but all resorts/hotels require massive amounts of start up capital.

The known results of the post "investment" (term used loosely here) years are positively horrendous regardless.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You surely must feel this way about most ski resort developments though. You just came back from Vail. Think of the many Billions of dollars it took to develop that area.

Also when it comes to that $600M figure at Jay, I wonder how much of that has been off set by real estate sales.

BenedictGomez

You surely must feel this way about most ski resort developments though.

No, not at all. Because they're typically done in a financially responsible manner and actually make sense. In contrast, this was financially idiotic from day one, and only occurred because it was "play money", with zero real-world financial consequences behind it.

Jcb890

You surely must feel this way about most ski resort developments though. You just came back from Vail. Think of the many Billions of dollars it took to develop that area.

Also when it comes to that $600M figure at Jay, I wonder how much of that has been off set by real estate sales.

Who's buying real estate up there? Do you mean like people purchasing the Slopeside condos and whatnot?

dlague

Who's buying real estate up there? Do you mean like people purchasing the Slopeside condos and whatnot?

People with extra money to blow? They have built a lot of condos/townhomes/homes around Jay. I have stayed in the new units and they are pretty nice.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No, not at all. Because they're typically done in a financially responsible manner and actually make sense. In contrast, this was financially idiotic from day one, and only occurred because it was "play money", with zero real-world financial consequences behind it.

What are your thoughts on Stowe then? They have spent over $500M on the Spruce Peak village. I forget the exact figures, but purely from an operating revenue stand point, Jay made more money in 2015-2016 than Stowe did. So, has Stowe's plan not been financially idiotic as well because a parent company underwrote it?

Jcb890

People with extra money to blow? They have built a lot of condos/townhomes/homes around Jay. I have stayed in the new units and they are pretty nice.
I see that and have stayed as well and also agree they are pretty nice. I wonder how many or if people are actually buying them. People with extra money to blow seem to generally stay closer to Southern VT or venture to a "higher-class" type of place like Stowe. Jay is very out of the way and that area isn't exactly a selling point or a destination.

That's just my opinion though, I could be way off base, but that's just how it seems. IMO, that's what made sense about the whole project, they had the idea of building up the area, making it somewhat of a destination with some leading technology in the area.