Opening Day 2017/2018 Season - New England

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Opening Day 2017/2018 Season - New England

I know this thread is very early, but I'm already ready for summer to be over and for the flakes to start flying again.

This information can probably be found online by looking at past seasons and historical data, but where's the fun in that when we can chit-chat about it?

When can we expect mountains in New England to begin operations next season? Killington always seems to be the first one to open, sometime in late October or early November. What about the Southern VT mountains like Mount Snow or how about NH mountains like Wildcat or Sunday River in ME?

Think snowy thoughts...
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: 35 days
    2018 - 2019 Season: baby = hoping for... some? days...

Sugarbush's information is a bit contradictory...here's the quote from a "Season Recap" type blog post on the Sugarbush website from Win:

"Our winter plan is to begin snowmaking as soon after November 1st as Mother Nature allows, and to begin the 2017/2018 season the weekend before Thanksgiving (November 25-26)."

Thanksgiving is November 23rd this year. So either that statement should say "after" Thanksgiving or the dates are wrong and should be November 18-19...

Of course this is all weather dependent anyway

Killington usually wins due to elevation advantage, but some years the forecast is more favorable in Maine and Sunday River wins first to open. Both anywhere from around October 20th to November 5th or so on average. Earliest I've skied Sunday River is October 17th. Earliest I've skied Killington is October 1st.

Wildcat in recent years has opened in the Novermber 10th - 20th range. They have 2000 feet of vertical to cover. They'll start stockpiling up high as early as November 1st, but won't blow the bottom of 2/3rds of Lynx until they get a good looking 7 day forecast.

Loon and Bretton Woods are typically open by Veterans day, though I have seen both go earlier.

Mount Snow I would assume the weekend prior to Thanksgiving or the holiday weekend itself depending on when the date it falls on. Same goes for Okemo, Stratton etc.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Killington usually wins due to elevation advantage, but some years the forecast is more favorable in Maine and Sunday River wins first to open. Both anywhere from around October 20th to November 5th or so on average. Earliest I've skied Sunday River is October 17th. Earliest I've skied Killington is October 1st.

Wildcat in recent years has opened in the Novermber 10th - 20th range. They have 2000 feet of vertical to cover. They'll start stockpiling up high as early as November 1st, but won't blow the bottom of 2/3rds of Lynx until they get a good looking 7 day forecast.

Loon and Bretton Woods are typically open by Veterans day, though I have seen both go earlier.

Mount Snow I would assume the weekend prior to Thanksgiving or the holiday weekend itself depending on when the date it falls on. Same goes for Okemo, Stratton etc.
    Spot on and well put - pretty much summed it up in a single post! October 1st - that is friggin awesome.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Great info so far guys. Hoping to start the season as early as possible... might have to burn a MAX Pass ticket up at Sunday River early on. Early November for Wildcat would be great also for our Peak Pass!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    Great info so far guys. Hoping to start the season as early as possible... might have to burn a MAX Pass ticket up at Sunday River early on. Early November for Wildcat would be great also for our Peak Pass!
    K and SR, with the exception of last year, usually have opened within a few days of one another and both usually have October turns. I prefer SR's early season a little better (though they are weekends only until mid-nov). SR typically opens mid-station - summit on Locke with uploading from the base. In many years they open TTB on Locke or are TTB by their second weekend of operations. Read as no walking required at SR while K has the staircase.

Wildcat's been screwed the past few years trying to open early, I hope those loses don't deter them next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    From your location Bretton Woods should be on your radar as well. Past few years it's been free on the first day with a donation of 3 cans of food. They can open Rangeview fairly quickly as it's flat and mostly all grass. They also sell $20 early season tickets in the fall. I usually start my season there as it's easier on the legs the first couple of days out. Lynx at Wildcat kicks my ass as a first day of the season run.

From your location Bretton Woods should be on your radar as well. Past few years it's been free on the first day with a donation of 3 cans of food. They can open Rangeview fairly quickly as it's flat and mostly all grass. They also sell $20 early season tickets in the fall. I usually start my season there as it's easier on the legs the first couple of days out. Lynx at Wildcat kicks my ass as a first day of the season run.
    BW is a nice scene. They expand pretty quickly too. They've had a few runs open before K has even gotten TTB sometimes. More grass (flatter) = more terrain!

Thanks for the BW idea. That might be a good option, especially if its free or only a couple cans of food for a lift ticket.

One drawback to the MAX Pass is I'm hesitant to burn 1/5 when there's limited options for trails, etc.

I have done the BW thing a few times. Great for early season lift service turns. Usually legs are tired before I get really bored. Flatter stuff kills me on the tele's.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Thread Information