• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

VTKilarney

The Burke hotel is offering a 30% discount for Christmas vacation week. Lots of rooms are still available.

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com

Smellytele

The Burke hotel is offering a 30% discount for Christmas vacation week. Lots of rooms are still available.

And they will probably have lots of rooms available when Christmas week comes as well. They need to rebuild their rep and have good snowmaking with enough trails open before people book at Christmas week. Their trail count has been pretty limited there Christmas weeks of the past why would someone chance it?

Jully

And they will probably have lots of rooms available when Christmas week comes as well. They need to rebuild their rep and have good snowmaking with enough trails open before people book at Christmas week. Their trail count has been pretty limited there Christmas weeks of the past why would someone chance it?

Someone who doesn't know a whole lot would. I'm always amazed at how many people think central and northern vt has like 175" of snow by Christmas.

mbedle

I not sure that Silver Mountain is very similar to Jay Peak. Kind of an odd place with the resort base disconnected with the ski area. Golf course is only 9 holes and also disconnected from the resort base. Also, throw in the superfund site...

tnt1234

I just checked it out - that is a pretty good deal....but for us, too long of a drive for the three nights we have free to ski, and like you said, hard to be confident in their snow making ability.

But a two bedroom suite for 4, with two king beds, ski and stay for $1500. Don't know what tickets are there, but 4 skiers x 3 days = 12 tickets at....$75? $900....so, a suite for $200 a night....great deal if you aren't worried about much being open I suppose.

I've never been to Burke.

MEtoVTSkier

Hoping the rental compressors and pump rebuilds, along with the pond cleaning will breath new life into the snowmaking efforts. I would guess it would be to the Receiver's benefit to show massive improvement to prospective buyers.

BenedictGomez

Under the advice of the Vermont Attorney General’s office, the agency has refused to release records pertaining to the EB-5 program, claiming the litigation hold exemption in the Vermont Public Records Act. The attorney general is arguing the documents need to be kept private because they could be part of a court case.

Convenient!

Krikaya

I was talking to a tour guide who works with English groups who have skied Jay in the past. The English were asking if it's a good idea to book a trip to Jay this winter. I told the American tour guide about the ponzi scheme that Quiros was brazenly running and he said, "there MAY have been fraud."

I said, "No there WAS massive fraud but I don't think Jay is going anywhere as a federal receiver is running the resort."

I know I won't be spending my $ at Jay until it gets sorted out but I haven't really been reading up on the latest developments since spring.

Would those of you from the NE kingdom trust your $ on a trip this winter to Jay? If you were forking out for everything from rooms to rentals and meals and lift tickets?

LONGBOARDR

I was talking to a tour guide who works with English groups who have skied Jay in the past. The English were asking if it's a good idea to book a trip to Jay this winter. I told the American tour guide about the ponzi scheme that Quiros was brazenly running and he said, "there MAY have been fraud."

I said, "No there WAS massive fraud but I don't think Jay is going anywhere as a federal receiver is running the resort."

I know I won't be spending my $ at Jay until it gets sorted out but I haven't really been reading up on the latest developments since spring.

Would those of you from the NE kingdom trust your $ on a trip this winter to Jay? If you were forking out for everything from rooms to rentals and meals and lift tickets?

First, If you are booking on a credit card there is no risk.

However, things are looking good up here, busy fall weekends, weddings, shows.
The vibe is positive for the resort and for having a great winter
Had almost a foot of snow sunday on mtn with some local kids out having fun already on boards.
If you like Jay, just come up and join the fun.
Its an all in winter for me, need to make up for last year, putting all the BS on the back burner
Cheers

VTKilarney

I don't think that I would hesitate to book a winter trip to Jay. It's after the winter season that makes me nervous since the receiver has indicated that they operate in the red during the non-winter period. Hopefully the resort is sold by then, but with Quiros fighting this tooth and nail, I wouldn't hold my breath.

skiberg

I have skied Silver many times. Jay is a better ski hill. Northern Idaho is also an odd place but it's much closer to a major city, or somewhat major city in Spokane. I lived in Spokane and it's not even 1/100 of Montreal, but in that part of the world it's all there is. Similar market competition though.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

Just noticed Jay Peak increased their lift ticket from $72 to $82, which is a healthy 14% increase.

And the Vermonter rate went up 16% to $67.

Though they are doing a "buy online" in advance at discount liftopia thing like some mountains, so that's perhaps an option.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just noticed Jay Peak increased their lift ticket from $72 to $82, which is a healthy 14% increase.

And the Vermonter rate went up 16% to $67.

Though they are doing a "buy online" in advance at discount liftopia thing like some mountains, so that's perhaps an option.

The Receiver probably had no choice to raise rates....especially after last season's trainwreck....in multiple ways.

fbrissette

Ouch... They will be pricing themselves out of the Quebec market, even with the 'at par' rate. This may also be one reason not to drive that far up north for a lot of people. I'm skeptical, but I sure don't mind less skiers if it's the end result.

MG Skier

If they have the snow, I go! Even if it is a 4+ hour ride. So basically it is one or two less beers at apres ski at the Bullwheel or the Tower Bar.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ouch... They will be pricing themselves out of the Quebec market, even with the 'at par' rate. This may also be one reason not to drive that far up north for a lot of people. I'm skeptical, but I sure don't mind less skiers if it's the end result.

Oh...good point. I always wondered why they had a lower pricepoint. I don't normally look at rates for Quebec.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The fact that the Canadian dollar is so weak right now makes trying to stay competitive on price very difficult.

The question is, are they going to accept the Canadian Dollar at par.
$72 * .74 = $53.28 US Dollars
$82 * .74 = $60.68 US Dollars