• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off-Season Gear Plans

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ski season is winding down. Anyone here planning on buying new skis? Boots? Other toys? If so, what?

I am hoping to add these to the quiver for a good primarily on trail daily driver since my 102's are getting a bit tired. Something with a bit more side cut and a bit narrower:

Monster-98.jpg

I may also be in the market for new boots soon. My Dalbello Kryptons are getting packed out.

Your plans?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm really happy with my current gear. Only thing I'd really like is a tweener race ski for hard snow days. Something like the Head WC Rebel I.Race, but I'll likely resist. I've bought new skis each of the last two years. I could stand to take a year off. :lol:

Savemeasammy

I'd like to replace my mogul skis and my boots. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

yeggous

I try to buy new skis every year. That is how I build out my quiver. Next up in the rotation should be a dedicated frontside carver. Considering all the new frontside skis coming out next year, I may defer that purchase. A 90mm-ish all mountain could be the next buy. That would make room for the dedicated carver next year, and replace my powder skis in two years.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

I got my mitts and helmet "taken", both of them rather new. So I'll be hunting for sales, of the same identical item.

But that's all. I've got new skis earlier this year. So I'm all set.

OK, maybe skins for my new tele setup.

Oh yeah, I WANT a new BIKE!!! (I don't need another bike, but I want one nonetheless)

drjeff

I'm on the lookout for a GOOD pair of "warm" day 100% waterproof rain gloves!

My current pair is only good for about 3hrs, but the rest of my rain day gear is good to go for more than that!!..

Probably means I'll get a bunch of stuff I'm NOT actually looking for ;-)

gmcunni

i picked up a new pair of boots late in the season. i need a new set of gloves for warmer days and that's about it.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Skis/"real gear"?- nah, maybe a ski swap item or something, pretty content with what I got. This season's new skis are still much newer than I'd like, got half the days I expected to get outta them :sadwalk:

Soft goods/clothing- Sports Authority closing helped me with that :grin:

Tuning supplies- wayyyyy too much invested in this, lol. Probably picking up a more coarse gummi stone and a more coarse diamond stone. I waxed so little (spent more time edging, not enough days to warrent waxing more than 5 times this season) I don't even think I need to re-order more wax :-o

HowieT2

Need new boots. Waiting till August when the new stock comes in. Thinking I get a pair with at mode. Leaning towards salomons.

also ripped my shell falling on my arse hiking the long trail so sending it to be refurbed.

Pez

I need new boots. My current ones were purchased when a Bush was in the White House - I won't say which one. I just really hate to part with these and they're as comfortable as slippers.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

As much as I would love to buy new skis, I'll try to hold off as long as possible. Right now I'm pretty happy with my current skis. I have a pair of Volkl AC50s for firm, early, and late season conditions (I used them most of the season this year). And then I have a pair of Nordica Hell n Backs that I use as my more "mid-season" ski once we have at least packed powder conditions. Not sure what else I would want for now.

My boots are still good and I dread the day I have to break in new boots again.

I will need to keep an eye out for a new pair of gloves before next season. The ones I have now are starting to rip. Otherwise I can't think of anything that I really need. Bought a new helmet and jacket both within the past 2 seasons.

yeggous

Need new boots. Waiting till August when the new stock comes in. Thinking I get a pair with at mode. Leaning towards salomons.

also ripped my shell falling on my arse hiking the long trail so sending it to be refurbed.

Smart move waiting until the new gear comes in. It can be well into September before it all comes in. I bought my current boots two years ago in September. I got the last pair of any size of that model that they had in stock, and the distributor was already sold out.

steamboat1

I could use a new pair of spring gloves. The ones I'm using now are held together with duct tape. I bought new ones but the fingers pull out when I take the gloves off. I don't like that because it's a pain to get them back on so I still use the old ones. I bought new goggles on sale last week. Didn't really need them but the new ones have much nicer lenses than my current goggles. Wanted to give the shop I use some business, it's been a tough year. Skis are only a couple seasons old, boots only one season so I'm good there. I'm in good shape with outerwear too.

Last edited:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Considering all the new frontside skis coming out next year, I may defer that purchase.
I will buy whatever is less than $200 so any unused front side carver from 2014 2016 will do. Not sure what direction to take just yet. I would imagine any shaped full camber "narrow" (that is less than 80mm underfoot) will do.

yeggous

I will buy whatever is less than $200 so any unused front side carver from 2014 2016 will do. Not sure what direction to take just yet. I would imagine any shaped full camber "narrow" (that is less than 80mm underfoot) will do.

I'm not totally sold on full camber. Having a little bit of early rise in the tip makes the ski much more accessible when you're hung over. I'm not sure whether I want a short and long turning radius either. Square tail goes without saying. I'm also becoming a big fan of modern design with carbon fiber. Skis weigh a lot less than they did 5 years ago. That makes a big difference when you need to work in short turns or tight spaces.

darent

I am looking for a new helmet, One I have is 7 years old and shows it.Looking at a Pret Cynic X helmet, just couldn't find any one who sold them this season to try on.

Hawkshot99

I want to replace my reace skis, with the new Atomic Redsters. If I can sell my boots, ill replace with the same exact boot, but no rush since days are low. I will have next years Blizzard Brahma, working on a limited edition pair(1/100 in the world).

SkiFanE

I need new ski pants, although the duct tape should last another year if I don't. Need new goggles more, loved my POCs, going to keep eye out for sale. Maybe see if I can buy lenses first tho. And thinking about a fat-ish ski for pow and woods. I'm 97% on my SL skis and my current mid fats are a little stiffer than I'd like (I think). As soon as bumps form - I want my SLs, so they won't get much use. I don't have time to demo or a budget over $200. I have some Look bindings I'll move over if needed. Used pair is perfectly fine. See what I run across. But I've kinda moved on mentally to biking so I'll forget about all this til next Oct when I'm getting ready for first day of skiing, pull the pants out of a pile and goggles out of bag and go "shit, forgot I needed new" - I hate shopping.